Limited Slip Diff not working - Page 3

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Limited Slip Diff not working

Liked
    0 times

Well I only have the LSD, no 4WD, so I have no other choice. I have used it on a 30 degree incline to pull my emark mower out of the mud and both wheels always spin, don't know what else to tell ya. It performed well this winter also, guess maybe the weight distibution of the truck may have been an issue, or something. I'll take some pics this weekend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Joe
    Liked
    2 times

Some call it Posi while others call it Limited Slip - in most conversations they are talking about the same traction aid. Think of it this way - with an open differential 4X4 and on very low traction surfaces you will have only 2 wheels turning/spinning - those being one wheel on the front axle and the other wheel on the rear axle, both having the least resistance. With the LS you will have three wheels turning - the three with the least resistance. To increase the efficiency of the LS/Posi you need to apply brake pressure in an effort to fool the LS into "thinking" both tires have equal resistance - you'll be surprised at how much more capable a Posi/LS is over an open differential in low traction situations - you just need to know how to get the "most" out of your LS. Most people don't have a need for a lunchbox locker. let alone a full locker, but if you feel the need, I would recommend a selectable full locker (such as an ARB) as opposed to a full time full locker (such as a Detroit).

As far as changing fluids, most of the people I knew with Posi's used full synthetic gear lube and never changed again unless they inadvertently went into deep water and sucked water into the housing.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

As far as an additive goes, I use (mopar, don't laugh) limited slip friction modifier. I used to work at a Nissan dealership and we always put this stuff in the limited slip rear ends. I have a TRD diff that I installed 1 year ago and all I use is Mopar synthetic 75w90 (p/n 5102232aa) and friction modidfier (p/n 4318060ab) I change the fluid every 6k-8k just to be safe. Any dodge dealership should carry these fluids.

Liked
    94 times
    Images

I don't use additive, just Redline synthetic and the lsd works way better than the non-posi. With all my non-posi'd trucks I've owned I've had to use 4wd to get around the turn around in my drive after a rain, th LSD in the Tundra is the first truck I've had that would'nt get stuck in 2wd in that turn around. It works very well, in rain snow and mud.
    I don't know what the angle of the bank by my drive is-its just steep! Try putting your trucks(locked and posi'd and non posi'd) in a lifted wheel (or close to it) situation and see what happens.
    Its hard to see how steep it is in the picture but it is about as high as my bumper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0377.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	4311  
    The 200,000 Mile Tundra Thread

Movin' right along.In search of good times and good news,
    With good friends you can't lose, This could become a habit..
    Opportunity knocks once, let's reach out and grab it.
    Together we'll nab it. We'll hitch-hike, bus or yellow cab it!
    Cab it?

Liked
    0 times

Default Explain?

Jim65,

In your pic ( 2.Stuck )
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photo...26100_0376.JPG

I don't understand why the wheel that's down with traction doesn't rotate. Isn't a LSD supposed to do that, even a little, at least to the torque rating of the clutch pack? Is it that the factory LSD is just very light..., and really pretty useless?

Yeah, my truck chirps the rear inside tire at every corner too.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default factory limited slip

I don't know of any LSD that can actually transfer torque to the wheel on the ground if the other is off the ground...hence the need for a real locker if you off road alot....the Tundra clutch packs are a little light, and on my previous Tundra, they were pretty much useless at 50,000 miles..I can understand the factory setting though, if they were tight, they would not be too pleasant on the street just like Detroit Lockers and Loc Rites which are kinda pain especially if you have manual tranny. That's why I like ARB air lockers

Liked
    94 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TetTundra
    Jim65,

In your pic ( 2.Stuck )
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photo...26100_0376.JPG

I don't understand why the wheel that's down with traction doesn't rotate. Isn't a LSD supposed to do that, even a little, at least to the torque rating of the clutch pack? Is it that the factory LSD is just very light..., and really pretty useless?

Yeah, my truck chirps the rear inside tire at every corner too.
    An LSD is basically a "converted" open diff. They tend to have springs and a clutch pack, which forces the opposite wheel to turn along with the spinning wheel. I think the main problem is torque related, with a spinning wheel and some weight on it there is not enough torque transferring through the diff to operate the springs. The diff seems to "think" you're in a turn and releases the clutch pack. That's why I could spin the left rear when I applied a lot of brake force. So yeah the factory is light in the spring department, and I'm sure an aftermarket Eaton would have done a lot better, but I think I'd rather wait for them to bring out their new E-Locker for the Tun. Posi for everday, push a button and it's locked. Hope they make it!
    The 200,000 Mile Tundra Thread

Movin' right along.In search of good times and good news,
    With good friends you can't lose, This could become a habit..
    Opportunity knocks once, let's reach out and grab it.
    Together we'll nab it. We'll hitch-hike, bus or yellow cab it!
    Cab it?

Liked
    0 times

Jim65,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I just had the tech at the dealer check out the LSD, and he said it checked out like brand new spec: 45#.... and he as much as admitted that it was wimpy. I'm headed into cold high country and you can be sure I'll be paying attention to the operation.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Lsd Installed On 2005 Work Truck Version Tundra

Waiting on arrival on new 2005 v8 4x4 work truck tundra. This truck comes with factory installed LSD. Is anyone familiar with this package? If so, please describe the operation and maintainance of the LSD?

Liked
    0 times

You say "waiting on arrival.." so I assume that you ordered the truck the way you want it, with LSD. Check this info out:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Bottom line is that the factory LSD won't do much harm, and not much good either. It's a very limited, limited slip diff, or as my Toyota mechanic said "wimpy". I expected it to work better, but for that I'll have to go after market. On dry pavement, it will give you nice traction in a turn, and you can burn a two-tire patch if you want to. Don't expect it to pull you out of a problem. One downside, both rears will spin if on similar surface like ice or snow, which means you go sideways.... Just know what you got, and drive accordingly. A Torsen diff is on my wish list, along with manual transmission (I don't do boat ramps). Also, depending on what you do with your truck, consider a rear sway bar --- BIG improvement.

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

"Positraction" is GM's registered trademark name for limited slip differentials. It's widely used just like "Kleenex" is widely used for snot-wipes.

Most GL-5 gear oils, conventional and synthetic, already have all the limited slip friction modifier additive needed. Read the label. If you have chattering, add part of a tube. More is not better. If not, you're good to go.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123