How often do you have to change the Tundra differential oil?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you have to change the Tundra differential oil?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default How often do you have to change the Tundra differential oil?

I just changed my differential oil at 15k miles on my S2000 and it was reallllly dirty, so now my dad is thinking his is gonna be the same lol. He was wondering at how many miles you're supposed to change it on Tundra's. His is a 2002 RWD V6 with 50k miles.

Thanks for the help!

-Costas

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Costas
    I just changed my differential oil at 15k miles on my S2000 and it was reallllly dirty, so now my dad is thinking his is gonna be the same lol. He was wondering at how many miles you're supposed to change it on Tundra's. His is a 2002 RWD V6 with 50k miles.

Thanks for the help!

-Costas
    Unless you've got a sequoia, technically you don't have to change it, just check the levels.

Realistically, it you want to follow generally accepted practice for a long differential life, you'll change every 30k.

If you run synthetic you can probably pretty safely double that rate.

The big thing is how hot it gets. If you tow and it gets hot, it's going to break down (that's where synthetic really helps, it can get hotter without breaking down). Then you have to change sooner.

What *is* hugely important is to change your engine and auto transmission (a full flush) fluid regularly. The other fluid changes are important, but not so important or as expensive to fix when you screwed up.

Alan

Liked
    0 times

Wink

Ahh beat me to it.

Yea Toyo reccomends 30k intervals.

Two thread on how to change and possible alternatives.

First

Second
    JOHN

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

How much does it require? Will one bottle of 75w90 be enough?

Liked
    8 times

My 2002 Tundra 2WD drive took four quarts of AMSOIL 75W-90 Long Life Gear Lube. At 35K miles my original gear lube looked fine but the magent on the drain plug had a little gunk around it. I drained the oil after I jacked up one side to place the drain hole at center then used a hand pump to fill the differential from the containers. It took it all without spilling a drop
    Spintech 3332XL Muffler | Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar | Updated 2005 Tail Lights | Updated 2003 Alloy Wheels | AMSOIL OAF-15 Oil Filter | Ultra-Strong Oil Filter Magnet | Synthetic Fluids all around | Line-X Bedliner | Osram Silverstars | Michelin LTX M/S tires | Custom Grille w/updated Body Panels | De-Badged | Optima Spiral Cell Gel Battery

T23
    Liked
    4 times

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Invid
    My 2002 Tundra 2WD drive took four quarts of AMSOIL 75W-90 Long Life Gear Lube. At 35K miles my original gear lube looked fine but the magent on the drain plug had a little gunk around it. I drained the oil after I jacked up one side to place the drain hole at center then used a hand pump to fill the differential from the containers. It took it all without spilling a drop
    What kind of hand pump did you use? Where do I get one?

Thanks.

Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by T23
    What kind of hand pump did you use? Where do I get one?

Thanks.
    I just used a cheapie $7 one from PepBoys. I'm sure Autozone and Kragens and the rest carry them too for around the same amount. They kept it in the fluids section next to the oil. After I used mine I just cleaned it then tossed it in the garbage.
    Spintech 3332XL Muffler | Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar | Updated 2005 Tail Lights | Updated 2003 Alloy Wheels | AMSOIL OAF-15 Oil Filter | Ultra-Strong Oil Filter Magnet | Synthetic Fluids all around | Line-X Bedliner | Osram Silverstars | Michelin LTX M/S tires | Custom Grille w/updated Body Panels | De-Badged | Optima Spiral Cell Gel Battery

Liked
    0 times

Why does Sequoia require diff oil change more often than Tundra?

2005 Tacoma AC 2WD 2.7L 5M

Liked
    0 times

Default Sequoia differential

There's a TSB on TS that even my dealer hadn't seen that states something to the effect that using TOYOTA Synthetic Gear Oil would allow a 30K replacement, and using ANY ANY ANY ANY other fluid requires replacement at like 5,000. Yes, even our beloved Mobil1 or your favorite Amsoil.

So, whatever, they're already beating me into submission with that T-IV tranny fluid, so I went and bought the TOYOTA synthetic gear oil.

Truth be told, my dealer didn't even stock the stuff, so I had to go to another dealer to get it. I THINK the parts guy said he was giving me the hookup with a $5/qt price and that list price was like $20/qt. Pretty hard to believe that, but....
    2003 TOYOTA Sequoia SR5: 89K, TRD cat-back, fueled by Chevron; M1 oil/filter
    2000 TOYOTA Epic S22: Powered by Lexus 1UZ w/VVTi, Chevron/M1
    1995 TOYOTA Hilux: 206K, any gas, any filter, first 100K Castrol Syntec, GTX since

Liked
    0 times

Checker Auto Parts carries a hand pump that screws into a quart bottle and has a flexible hose for just a few bucks. the pump is similer to that used for liquid soap, but is more heavy duty.

I'm sure other auto parts stores have them too. You'll find them right next to the gear lube.
    2003 Sequoia SR5 4x4 - Phantom Gray, OEM hood protector, pin stripes, chrome exhaust tip, Nifty "Catch-all" mats, driver seat heater
    2006 Tundra SR5, DC, 4x4, Salsa Red, Advance Cover, Nifty "Catch-all" mats, Line-X, Hellwig Anti-sway Bar, 3M StotchCal Paint Protection Film

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by lelandstanford
    Why does Sequoia require diff oil change more often than Tundra?
    Fluid capacities differ from application to application due to variations in the size of the axle housing and whether or not the truck has an open differential or limited-slip. For example, the owner's manual for my '05 DC rear axle specs 3.5 qts for the DC but only something like 3 qts for the AC. The bulge on the back of the DC axle housing appears noticeable larger than the AC housing, thus explaining why it holds more fluid. I'm sure this is because Toyota was trying to provide some extra lubrication and cooling protection for what is really a small rear axle for such a large truck.

As to the change requirements, on my '05 DC Toyota recommends changing the rear differential fluid every 15k if subject to towing, etc. Each application may have slightly different requirements, so you really need to check the owner's manual to be sure.

For those who don't tow, every 30k is probably pretty safe, every 15k is even better. If you're doing it yourself each change adds maybe $20 and 15 minutes to the service, much better that prematurely replacing a ring and pinion for anywhere between $500-$1500.

For best results make sure you get a new crush washer for the drain plug.

Liked
    0 times

I was refering to the same application and condition.

Let's take 2002 as example (no DC yet):

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/?s_van=GM_TN_OWNERS

2002 Tundra 15,000 miles: Inspect the following: Rear differential oil
    Towing a Trailer or Using a Camper or Car-Top Carrier: Replace rear differential oil, including limited-slip

2002 Tundra: I can't find normal interval for rear differential oil change.

2002 Sequoia 5,000 Miles - 4 Months:
    Towing a Trailer or Using a Camper or Car-Top Carrier: Replace rear differential oil

2002 Sequoia 15,000 Miles - 12 Months: Inspect the following:Rear differential oil

My translation:

Tundra: 15k (severe)/?k (normal)

Sequoia: 5k (severe)/ 15k inspect (normal)

So, if I tow with a Sequoia I would have to change rear diff oil the same time as engine oil?

2005 Tacoma AC 2WD 2.7L 5M

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by rakent
    For best results make sure you get a new crush washer for the drain plug.
    Is that something I need to get at the dealer? I'll be changing the diff oil on my '03 Sequoia soon and I've never done it before. Anything else I need? Isn't there some special socket? I've got the oil and I've got the pump, and I'm wondering if I need anything else besides this crush washer.
    2003 Sequoia SR5 4x4 - Phantom Gray, OEM hood protector, pin stripes, chrome exhaust tip, Nifty "Catch-all" mats, driver seat heater
    2006 Tundra SR5, DC, 4x4, Salsa Red, Advance Cover, Nifty "Catch-all" mats, Line-X, Hellwig Anti-sway Bar, 3M StotchCal Paint Protection Film

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Costas

Thanks for the help!

-Costas
    Had the dealer change my LSD fluid at 15000 miles. Will do it again at 30000.
    2003 TRD Stepside 2WD LSD, 275 Revos, 1 inch Daystar spacer up front, TRD AALs in the back, 1.5 inch Wheeladapter.com wheel adapters, Truxedo tonneau cover, Rhino Lining, Self-Dimming Mirror w/Compass & Temperature, RS3200 Alarm Upgrade, Stant 11506 Locking Gas Cap, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, Magnaflow 12586 on the way

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by lelandstanford
    I was refering to the same application and condition.

Let's take 2002 as example (no DC yet):

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/?s_van=GM_TN_OWNERS

2002 Tundra 15,000 miles: Inspect the following: Rear differential oil
    Towing a Trailer or Using a Camper or Car-Top Carrier: Replace rear differential oil, including limited-slip

2002 Tundra: I can't find normal interval for rear differential oil change.

2002 Sequoia 5,000 Miles - 4 Months:
    Towing a Trailer or Using a Camper or Car-Top Carrier: Replace rear differential oil

2002 Sequoia 15,000 Miles - 12 Months: Inspect the following:Rear differential oil

My translation:

Tundra: 15k (severe)/?k (normal)

Sequoia: 5k (severe)/ 15k inspect (normal)

So, if I tow with a Sequoia I would have to change rear diff oil the same time as engine oil?
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, by application I meant what chassis (Tacoma, Tundra, Sequoia, etc.) the Toy 8" rear was being used in. The heavier the chassis, the more stress the truck will put on the ring & pinon day in and day out, and the Sequoia is probably the heaviest of all - for example, Toyota gives the curb weight of an '06 Sequoia SR5 2wd as 5090lbs, a 2wd SR5 DC Tundra is over 300lbs lighter at 4765lbs.

IMHO the 5000k lube interval is simply a band-aid fix to mask the fact that the axle is only marginally strong enough in the Sequoia - but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny7
    Is that something I need to get at the dealer? I'll be changing the diff oil on my '03 Sequoia soon and I've never done it before. Anything else I need? Isn't there some special socket? I've got the oil and I've got the pump, and I'm wondering if I need anything else besides this crush washer.
    Your dealer's parts counter should (emphasis on should) have them in stock, however, the two times I've tried to get one from my local dealer they've been out of stock or only had one. You really need two to do it right (one for the fill and one for the drain), but can get by with just a new one on the drain plug. A crush washer is designed to deform as you tighten the plug, once they've been crushed they cannot be reused without at least the risk of a leak.

On my '05 DC, both the drain and fill plugs were removed with a 15/16" socket. You can't use a box or open end wrench, there is a guard ring around the drain plug. Remove the fill plug first, that way if you can't get the drain plug loose you're not stuck with an empty differential (don't laugh, it's happened to folks before). I think a pump is probably more hassle than it's worth unless you're using oil from a bulk container.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)