2WD to 4WD Conversion???

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2WD to 4WD Conversion???

Liked
    0 times

Default 2WD to 4WD Conversion???

I have an 01 2WD Tundra and I really want a 4WD but I was wondering if I'm better of just trading it in for a 4WD Tundra. I really like everything about my Tundra except it is not 4WD. I know it is possible but is it worth the effort doing the conversion. If I were to do this conversion I would try to get most if not all the parts from a scrap Tundra at a junk yard or something. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

I saw an episode on TRUCKS! where someone asked stacey what it would take to do a 4x4 conversion....

You'd be better off trading it in for a truck with 4wd.

Everything Under The Sun Is Eclipsed By The Moon, But The Sun Is Eclipsed By The Moon- Roger Waters

Liked
    17 times

just get long travel and call it a day

yes, long travel is my answer to everything

Liked
    0 times

there's also the sas route...but it's a little costly. Look around, some other members have solid from axles on their trucks now. It would probably be easier than going for factory 4x4, if not more expensive.

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    641 times
    Images

you would need to get the a.d.d. system from a junked tundra, a front diff, t-case, front driveshaft, rear midshaft, and i think different hubs. kinda a lotta parts. easier to buy new, unless you plan on doing something unusual like SAS.

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    0 times

Does anybody know any good shops that could do the SAS in Southern California?

Liked
    260 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 01ToyTun
    Does anybody know any good shops that could do the SAS in Southern California?
    www.demello-offroad.com

If you want to drive up to Sacramento www.bentup.com

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Has anyone actually done this? I found a guy with a couple of junked tundra 4x4s and I have seriously considered this. I recently moved to Nor Cal from So Cal and 4x4 makes more sense up here than it did in San Diego.

DevinSixtySeven you mentioned an "a.d.d." what is that? I think you are right as far as the parts needed would be the:

1. Front Diff
    2. Xfer case
    3. Front drive shaft
    4. Rear Mid shaft (is there one?)
    5. Hubs

If anyone knows of any other parts needed or has done this your input would be appreciated.

Of course I'd love to go for a Solid Axle up front and that may be an option but for now I found this guy and the price is right.

Liked
    260 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT
    I tried PMing and Emailing you via your profile and it states you have chosen not to receive PM's or emails. I got your PM. Email me at ponsie-mike@comcast.net and we can meet up sometime. I work on Concord Ave. across the street from Sam's club and Sportmart.

Sorry to hijack the thread! Back to the conversion...

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Just add a LSD or locker. It's as close to 4wd as you can get without getting it and it's not too expensive.

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Default Easy 4x4 Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by 01ToyTun
    I have an 01 2WD Tundra and I really want a 4WD but I was wondering if I'm better of just trading it in for a 4WD Tundra. I really like everything about my Tundra except it is not 4WD. I know it is possible but is it worth the effort doing the conversion. If I were to do this conversion I would try to get most if not all the parts from a scrap Tundra at a junk yard or something. Thanks!
    A conversion from 4x2 to 4x4 is actually very, very simple:

A) Jack up radiator cap on 4x2 truck.
    B) Drive new 4x4 truck under it!!

MrBeanley
    Glenville, New York
    2004 Tundra Double Cab 4x4

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

I can't speak about converting a Tundra but a friend of mine converted a Chevy truck to 4x4 and said he would never do it again. A lot of work and headaches and for what it would cost you, your better off selling your truck and getting a 4x4 IMO.

Liked
    0 times

I called Demello and I talked to them about converting my truck into 4wd and using a solid axle would cost me at about 7-10 grand! That sounds good to me but I better start saving!

Liked
    0 times

yeah...that would be sweet. and think you wouldn't have to worry about trying to sell/trade your truck.

How tall did Demello say they would go for 7-10g's? Would it be a leafspring style job?

just curious...If I keep my truck forever...and get another one. I may dick around with it on the side. I've already put to much in it to get anything for it if I'd try to sell it.

Liked
    1 times

converting a chevy to 4wd is not even comparable to the tundra. the front suspension on a 4wd tundra is pretty much identicle to a 2wd unit. on a chevy, NOTHING is the same. they have different arms, spring types(torsion bars vs. coils), different frame crossmembers, steering setup is different.

anyways, on the tundra it should be do-able because everything on the 2wd is similar to the 4x4 truck, should bolt in, maybe having to add some tabs and mounting brackets here and there.

you could always add an RCD lift at the time of install and use their brackets to mount the diff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast