GEAR OIL GL4 or GL5

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: GEAR OIL GL4 or GL5

ab
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default GEAR OIL GL4 or GL5

I am trying to figure out of I can use GL5 gear oil where GL4 is the spec. Does the 5 indicate that it supercedes the 4 and can be used instead or are they only for specific applications? PS thanks KLS for you "GL link" in another thread, but it still isn't clear to me that 5 can be used inplace of 4.
    [SIZE="1"]00 TUNDRA V8 AC LTD / 03 SEQ LTD / 05 TUNDRA V6 Longbed (2) / 06 TUNDRA DC / 07 TACO DC / 93 Mr2 Turbo / 87 MR2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

GL-5 gear oils are for gears like our differentials where the pinion is below the centerline of the ring gear. You can look at the outside of the differential housing on the front side and see that. There is much sliding on the gear teeth, and the oil has to be blended for that. These are called hypoid gears. A gearbox without hypoid gears, like a transmission, does not need this particular additive package in the oil. GL-4 gear oil works well. Some GL-5 oils used a sulfur based additive to make them GL-5, and the sulfur would damage yellow metals...brass, bronze, & copper...in the transmission. Many modern GL-5 gear oils do not have the sulfur in them and are labeled for both GL-4 and GL-5 applications.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

ab
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Gl 4

Went to the dealer and bought "their" GL4 gear oil for $30 CDN a litre!!! It was totally clear, no color, and after replacing the wrong GL5 with the proper GL4 the whine disappeared. Dealer says that they have seen GL5 wreck those manny trannies.
    Thanks, Ken.
    [SIZE="1"]00 TUNDRA V8 AC LTD / 03 SEQ LTD / 05 TUNDRA V6 Longbed (2) / 06 TUNDRA DC / 07 TACO DC / 93 Mr2 Turbo / 87 MR2

Liked
    0 times

I am looking to change my differential fluids and replace them with Mobil 1. I know that I need 75w-90 for the front diff. However, it looks like I need 90w for the rear. I can't seem to find this stuff anywhere. Where is a good place to look?

Also, according the the "Fluids" info page on TS, the transfer case is 75w-90 and GL-4 -OR- GL-5 - which is suggested?
    BuckTales
    2000 Tundra SR5 Access Cab

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

We are having very good results with synthetic 75W-90 gear oil in the rear differentials. Mobil 1 75W-90 works well in both differentials and the transfer case.

GL-4 gear oil is used only in certain manual shift transmissions these days.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by KLS
    We are having very good results with synthetic 75W-90 gear oil in the rear differentials. Mobil 1 75W-90 works well in both differentials and the transfer case.

GL-4 gear oil is used only in certain manual shift transmissions these days.

Ken
    Ken -

Thank you. I'm happy I can buy all 75w-90 now. I haven't seen it in containers anything higher than single quarts. I'm going to look around for the best prices now. I have a Salvo, AutoZone, and Advanced Auto Parts all near me.
    BuckTales
    2000 Tundra SR5 Access Cab

Liked
    0 times

I just replaced the rear diff fluid this past weekend with the mobil 1 syn 75w90. Its certainly not cheap, at the only place that carries it, it was 12 bucks a quart. I know you can order it online too but by the time i pay shipping its only a couple bucks cheaper.

The fill bolt was a pain to get out, i started rounding off the run so i had to move down to a 15/16 socket and was able break it free. The bottom wasnt as much of a problem. Mine only took about 3.5 quarts till it was oozing out the fill hole and although i jacked up the driver side i might not have done it high enough. Mine is a 2000 so i dont have an LSD.

Everything Under The Sun Is Eclipsed By The Moon, But The Sun Is Eclipsed By The Moon- Roger Waters