Right Rear Axle Seal Leaking. Need Some Help

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Right Rear Axle Seal Leaking. Need Some Help

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Right Rear Axle Seal Leaking. Need Some Help

Hello need some help here. After reviewing some other posts, about their rear axle seals leaking, finally found out that is what is wrong with my 01 Tundra. Just got done reading T.S.B. on rear axle seals.

I was wondering since just the right one is leaking, should I only get that one replaced on both of them. It appears that their could be something wrong with the original seals, or should I just get the right one repaired, and hope the left side doesn't start leaking.

2nd Question is: Will I need to get new brakes on the rear since it appears the axle grease has been leaking along time, and just noticed the leak seeping through on the front side of my wheel.

Does the dealer need to do this repair since the T.S.B. mentions a special Toyota Tool to insert the new seal without damaging it, or can I have a different shop repair.

How much does a Toyota Dealer charge for this type of repair. Very nervous about the cost of this repair with a possible brake job. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I'm not sure about the Tundra, but I have had problems on older trucks with plugged/malfunctioning vent/breather/check valve on rear axle.
    One seal leaked and there was sustantial pressure in differental when I drained oil. Opened up vent check valve and wheel seal leaks stopped.

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

Be sure to have the shop check the axle for straightness. If it is not straight, the new seal won't hold for long.

If gear oil is on the brakes, they must be renewed. I'd only fix the leaking seal, but do brakes on both sides. New shoes don't cost that much.

Ask any good repair shop. They'll likely do a very good job for less than the dealership.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default Rear seal leak

I just did the one in my '02 Sequoia. There is a TSB on a up graded seal. Not a hard repair having drum brakes on Tundra. A little more difficult on Sequoia. Change brakes making sure that you get all the axle grease out of the brake area using brake cleaner and not air. I changed out both sides since there is a known problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gas4man/servicman
    Hello need some help here. After reviewing some other posts, about their rear axle seals leaking, finally found out that is what is wrong with my 01 Tundra. Just got done reading T.S.B. on rear axle seals.

I was wondering since just the right one is leaking, should I only get that one replaced on both of them. It appears that their could be something wrong with the original seals, or should I just get the right one repaired, and hope the left side doesn't start leaking.

2nd Question is: Will I need to get new brakes on the rear since it appears the axle grease has been leaking along time, and just noticed the leak seeping through on the front side of my wheel.

Does the dealer need to do this repair since the T.S.B. mentions a special Toyota Tool to insert the new seal without damaging it, or can I have a different shop repair.

How much does a Toyota Dealer charge for this type of repair. Very nervous about the cost of this repair with a possible brake job. Any help would be appreciated.

Liked
    0 times

man thats why mine went out then. what happened to toyota, i thought they where good. this will be my last toyota for a very long time. the only good thing about it is i blew my rear end and got a new one that was regeared and it is awsome. now if the o2 sensor wasn't out every 4 months it would be cool.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by gas4man/servicman

I suppose warranty coverage is out of the question? Just clarifying.

Heed what the other guys above have said, check out this thread and post up any questions.
    Rear oil seal leaking-repeated failure

Basically once the seals go it precipitates other failures and they can be costly.
    -Brakes contaminated with oil HAVE TO be replaced. $25-$50
    -When the oil goes past the seal, it also contaminates the bearing, which must be repacked (and preferably replaced if it's sloppy) Bearing $50
    -A good shop can press the bearing without ruining the ABS ring (if so equipped) Dealer will charge you about $100 more per axle for this. But parts would be another $60 or so.
    -IMO, you should only fix the side that's bad, but that won't likely be what the dealer tells you.

If you can get them replaced per the TSB do it. If not, be sure to use Toyota seals--they only have the post TSB version available now.

If you are a DIY kind of guy, you can drive the seals with a seal driver from Harbor Freight ($14) and pull the old seal with a claw hammer. Take the axles to a shop and get them pressed like I did. If not, my advice would be to take it to a reputable independent shop. Expect Toyota to charge you about $800-$1000 or therabouts if they do both sides, inner and outer seals, brakes, and presswork.
    -Have a reputable shop check for axle run out with a dial indicator IN ANY CASE!!! Anything over 3/1000ths of runout and you'll need a new axle shaft ($300-400)
    Anyway, let me know if I can be of assistance. I was just on this for the past two weeks and I am just about 100% recovered...but a lot poorer.
    Mike D

Lost traction? Lock it up!!! Front locker install instructions here: http://www.teddnet.com/LockRightInstall.pdf

2000 Tundra with 175,000 miles and still going!

Upgrades: PA 3" Body Lift, Powertrax No-Slip rear, Detroit ezLocker front, Fabtech/Fox front, Wheeler's AALs, TC Front Diff Drop, 16 x 8 MB Wheels, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, Pioneer Head Unit, Infiniti Reference speakers [front and rear], 150 W bridged amp to bandpass enclosure, 6 CD changer with IR remote, iPod mini and xm hardwired into stereo, Toyota drop in bedliner, and Tonneau cover

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-04-2009, 05:37 PM