Clicking noise from axle?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clicking noise from axle?

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Default Clicking noise from axle?

I have a 01 Sequoia 4x4. Last week my wife and I noticed that there are clicking sound coming from right rear tire when we drive slowly. I jack up the rear end this afternoon, turn the tire by hand. I can hear the clciking noise. I then take out the tires, and still can hear the clicking sound - metal against metal sound. It seems that it is coming from behind the brake rotor - inside the axle.

I am going to make appointment to local dealer tomorrow. Just thought if anyone care to take a guess what is wrong. I have read a lot of planetary gear problem from Tundra, is this similar problem?
    Thanks
    Chris

01 Sequoia and 95 Avalon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Default Re: Clicking noise from axle?

well the "planetary gear" is inside the transmission. your sounds like a loose rock or part to the parking brake behind the rotor on the rear wheel.
    HAVE YOU DRIVEN OVER A FORD LATELY?
    Team West SAWS (cranked up to 3.25")
    Total Chaos UCA
    ORS Manual hub kit
    reese front receiver hitch
    10,000 lb. winch on receiver hitch
    Warn Quick connects front and rear
    rear brake porportioning valve mod
    3" perfomance products body lift
    skyjacker AAL
    wheelers urithane kit for front swaybar and steering rack
    BFG AT's
    Eagle101 wheels
    CB radio W/ dual fiberglass 48" ant.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by wylcat
    well the "planetary gear" is inside the transmission. your sounds like a loose rock or part to the parking brake behind the rotor on the rear wheel.
    Well I never said I know what is happening

I checked and did not see anything loose. Brake pad still has enough materials. This is probably dump question: is the parking brake behind the rotor easily accessible? If I could fix this, I rather do it on my own. Money is tight right now due to illness in family, so I hate visiting local dealer unless it is complicated.
    Thanks
    Chris

Liked
    0 times

How many miles on your truck? I metallic "ticking" could very well be the results of a developing problem with a wheel bearing, ring & pinion gears or spider gears in the rear end. The rear axles used in the Tundras & Sequoias are of marginal strength in this application.

Hope it's something simple, like a loose or broken brake pad, sticking rotor, etc.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Funny that I could not find this thread earlier...

I finally managed managed to get the rotor off and still make the noise, so I dont think it is brake related.

The truck has 92K, never used for towing. I do carry heavy load from time to time, but nothing too bad.

Thank you for the reply. This wheel bearing or gears sounded serious and expensive Will make appointment next week to have it checked out...

Quote Originally Posted by rakent
    How many miles on your truck? I metallic "ticking" could very well be the results of a developing problem with a wheel bearing, ring & pinion gears or spider gears in the rear end. The rear axles used in the Tundras & Sequoias are of marginal strength in this application.

Hope it's something simple, like a loose or broken brake pad, sticking rotor, etc.
    Thanks
    Chris

Junior Member taylor's 2001 Tundra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

sounds like the same problem i have. it sounds like metal hitting metal when the truck goes over a marginal bump going around a corner.
    the toyota dealer said that the thud noise is common in all toyota tundra axles and charged me $74.00 to tell me that. i was livid after that. i explained that for 5 yrs driving the same road i have never had that noise, now i can simulate it daily. the guy gave me toyota's # and told me to give them a call. they said they could simulate the noise on every single tundra on the lot. they said they would show me but never did. toyota is going to get an ear full.
    2001 SR5 Tundra TRD V8
    Thunder Metallic Grey
    ---------------------
    Bilstein HD yellow/blue, Performance Products 1" Progressive Rate Springs, Linex Under the Rail, Westin Side Step Nerf Bars, K&N Filter, Borla Cat-Back Exhaust RS, Optima Red, Osram Sylvania XV replacement bulbs Headlights and Fogs. DRL Mod. ARB Sahara Bull Bar, KC stainless 150 Watt Daylighters

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Sorry to hear that. Maybe go to different dealer?

On my Sequoia, the left side does not make noise, the right side make noise. I dont think they can say it is normal when one behave different than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by taylor's 2001 Tundra
    sounds like the same problem i have. it sounds like metal hitting metal when the truck goes over a marginal bump going around a corner.
    the toyota dealer said that the thud noise is common in all toyota tundra axles and charged me $74.00 to tell me that. i was livid after that. i explained that for 5 yrs driving the same road i have never had that noise, now i can simulate it daily. the guy gave me toyota's # and told me to give them a call. they said they could simulate the noise on every single tundra on the lot. they said they would show me but never did. toyota is going to get an ear full.
    Thanks
    Chris

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Default Wheel bearing problem, does both side has to be replaced?

Took my Sequoia to the dealer, and first they claim they can not hear any noise. I took one of the tech for a short drive in the parking lot, to prove that the noise is still there. They took her back in, and told me wheel bearing has gone bad. They are ordering a bunch of parts, and she will be back Thursday or Friday for repair.

I was told by coworker that wheel bearing has to be replace for both side, just like replacing brakes, you need to replace both side. Is this correct? I am pretty sure the dealer is not replacing both side, just the right side where it is making noise.

Anything that I need to worry about replacing wheel bearing?
    Thanks
    Chris

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)