4 wheel drive high

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 wheel drive high

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 4 wheel drive high

how fast can one travel in 4WD H (assuming engaging it at a proper speed)? during winter or wet highway driving can 4WD H be used at speeds of 55-70MPH? i have a 2001 4WD Tundra (shift on floor).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times

Default Re: 4 wheel drive high

as fast as you feel safe driving it. everything is turning at teh same speed, so yer all good.
    New Rig: 06 Black Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD, 03 LandCruiser = wifey's landhog
    Old Rigs: 97(still have), 98(sold), 99(rolled), 2000 4Runners(sold), 01 Tacoma(sold), all 5spd 4x4's built for some baja lovin....
    Original Tundra: 06 White Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD sold to SunMan

Liked
    3 times

As far as I know, and from looking in my owners manual, you can go 75 mph while in 4hi. and I think 35 in 4low. But you shouldn't be going that fast anyway if you need 4 wheel drive.
    David~2001 Toyota Tundra 4X4 TRD SR5~SSautochrome headers~Single 2.5" exhaust w/ Flowmaster 50 series delta flow muffler~K&N FIPK intake system w/True-flow filter~ASP underdrive pulley~Custom tuned Unichip (thank you Johan)~Powertrax No-slip~Bilstein 5100 front and rear w/ Deaver 10 pack~Diff breather mod~255/85 BFG M/T on Wheelers Black Steelies Type B~Custom Rocksliders~Skid Row front skid plate~Custom Transfer case skid plate

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Hugemoose
    As far as I know, and from looking in my owners manual, you can go 75 mph while in 4hi. and I think 35 in 4low. But you shouldn't be going that fast anyway if you need 4 wheel drive.
    i guess you've never driven in the deserts, beaches, or sand dunes then. You can go as fast as you feel comfortable, and as fast as the truck permits you to go.
    New Rig: 06 Black Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD, 03 LandCruiser = wifey's landhog
    Old Rigs: 97(still have), 98(sold), 99(rolled), 2000 4Runners(sold), 01 Tacoma(sold), all 5spd 4x4's built for some baja lovin....
    Original Tundra: 06 White Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD sold to SunMan

Liked
    17 times

Quote Originally Posted by bjamin
    how fast can one travel in 4WD H (assuming engaging it at a proper speed)? during winter or wet highway driving can 4WD H be used at speeds of 55-70MPH? i have a 2001 4WD Tundra (shift on floor).
    You have the 4x4 shifter on the floor?

Liked
    0 times

I have yet to see a 01 Tundra with shift on the floor??? This would be cool.

Dan

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by J-man
    i guess you've never driven in the deserts, beaches, or sand dunes then. You can go as fast as you feel comfortable, and as fast as the truck permits you to go.
    No I never have. I always drive in the snow, so 75 on snow covered roads wouldn't be good. And you're right, you should only go as fast as your truck permits you to go.

But a shifter on the floor?! That is new to me; never seen one of those on a Tundra except for a highly modified SA Tundra with 2 trasfer case shifters coming out of the floor.
    David~2001 Toyota Tundra 4X4 TRD SR5~SSautochrome headers~Single 2.5" exhaust w/ Flowmaster 50 series delta flow muffler~K&N FIPK intake system w/True-flow filter~ASP underdrive pulley~Custom tuned Unichip (thank you Johan)~Powertrax No-slip~Bilstein 5100 front and rear w/ Deaver 10 pack~Diff breather mod~255/85 BFG M/T on Wheelers Black Steelies Type B~Custom Rocksliders~Skid Row front skid plate~Custom Transfer case skid plate

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    646 times
    Images

ninety-ish. not many places you can do that sort of thing tho, nor many conditions you can do it in.

a.d.d. wont dis/engage above a certain speed, i think it might be 55 to engage, 75 to disengage.

handy for light snow days on hardpack, provided youre prepared equipment-wise, have requisite sight distance, weight in the bed, going in a straight line for a few hundred miles, etc.

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    0 times

I did tens of thousands of miles in 4hi on wet roads at 65-75ish. Many many miles at 20-30 on uncleared interstate after a snow storm.

I rarely went over 85 in 4HI. I know it would not engage at over 62mph, I never had a problem with it disengaging at any speed - but I probably never tried it over 80ish.
    2000 4x4 LTD AC Sunfire Red - Sold w/ 200K

2005 4x4 LTD AC Phantom grey w/ dark grey - Sold w/ 20K

Alpine CDA-9835, W/ KCA-420i, Focal 165KP front, Focal 165V Rear speakers. powered by 2 MMats SQ2150 amps. Alpine MRD-M501 powering a JL Stealthbox with Infinity Perfect 10D VQ

Sound deadened everything with Cascade VB2HD, and Dynamat Extreme

2005 G35 Sedan 6MT - Returned due to paint work on a 'new' car.

2006 G35 Sedan 6MT - all stock. Where do I hook up the trailer and where's the bass?

Liked
    0 times

I have done 65-70mph on the highway in snow conditions using 4Hi several times. Please don't argue with me over "safety"...

You must engage 4Hi at speeds below 55-60mph, but after it's engaged, go as fast as you like. You'll feel the added friction, so it will take more gas to go faster, than if you were in 2Hi.
    Vehicle: 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 vvt-i 4.7L V8 in Timberland Mica
    Current Mods: Donahoe Racing Adjustable 2.5" Coilovers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, TRD Add-A-Leafs, Magnaflow 18" oval custom cat-back exhaust, Genuine-Toyota Tundra rubber floor mats, Delphi Roady2 XM Radio, USA Spec dual-aux input adaptor, custom-built dash-mount auxilary input for iPod, JL Audio 10W1v2-4 subwoofer, JL Audio e1200 monoblock, BedRug, Challanger step bars (Genuine-Toyota accessory), AVS Bugflector II
    Future Mods: Westin Chrome Nurf Bars, Wheels, Tires, Double-Din Navigation, Leather seat-skins

Liked
    0 times

i would think that going over 65 in 4hi would start to break things..i could be wrong tho ive never gone over 45 in 4hi cause i was afriad i was gonna break the transfer case or something
    adam

Liked
    275 times
    Images

55 to engage, whatever speed you want once you're engaged. I've gone up to 80 on a straight away dirt road but, only for a short distance.

Liked
    0 times

i went to the race track a couple of months ago and someone told me i should use 4hi for a better launch, i thought he was crazy and that i would blow out my transfer case, so if you can go 80+ then racing in 4hi isnt that far fetched???
    adam

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by adam2296
    i went to the race track a couple of months ago and someone told me i should use 4hi for a better launch, i thought he was crazy and that i would blow out my transfer case, so if you can go 80+ then racing in 4hi isnt that far fetched???
    adam
    launching is bad for the t-case. But a dramatic change in speed (high-torque) is different than simply going at a fast speed.
    Vehicle: 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 vvt-i 4.7L V8 in Timberland Mica
    Current Mods: Donahoe Racing Adjustable 2.5" Coilovers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, TRD Add-A-Leafs, Magnaflow 18" oval custom cat-back exhaust, Genuine-Toyota Tundra rubber floor mats, Delphi Roady2 XM Radio, USA Spec dual-aux input adaptor, custom-built dash-mount auxilary input for iPod, JL Audio 10W1v2-4 subwoofer, JL Audio e1200 monoblock, BedRug, Challanger step bars (Genuine-Toyota accessory), AVS Bugflector II
    Future Mods: Westin Chrome Nurf Bars, Wheels, Tires, Double-Din Navigation, Leather seat-skins

Liked
    0 times
    Images

LOL

I have done about 5 runs in my stock tundra at the track.. going up to 83 MPH each time ... in 4

I often cruise in 4HI at around 90 for 10s of miles at a time, haven't had any issues yet.
    My Truck: 2000 Black TRD AC SR5

ANCHORAGE, ALASKA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast