Steering Vibration

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Steering Vibration

Liked
    0 times

Default Steering Vibration

I recently took my truck in for a 5000 mile check up and they rotated my tires and balanced them. Now for some reason it may just be me but when I come out of a curve at nearly any speed I get a slight shimmy in the steering wheel and it is only at the point where the wheels are nearly straight. Is this common or what? I am fixin to leave for Panama City Beach this Friday night and didnt know if I should worry or what. I also thought it might be where I rotated the tires. Any help of comments would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Steering Vibration

i have been having vibration and alignment problems with my tundra (2006) since I bought it last year. i have 20 inch tires on it. now on my 3rd set. toyota not sure why... document document document

Liked
    0 times

Wow! I had the same problem after getting new tires some years back. The knuclehead at the shop didn't fully tighten my lugs on one side!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by keezer36 View Post
    Wow! I had the same problem after getting new tires some years back. The knuclehead at the shop didn't fully tighten my lugs on one side!
    I have already checked that and retourqed them to proper specs.

Liked
    0 times

Chances are you have one or both front tires that are slightly out of balance. You have to rebalance the wheels using a lug-centric adapter.
    This is the only way to ascertain an accurate balance. If this doesn't work, than you either have a out of round/bad tire or a bent/damaged wheel.
    2007 TRD OFF-ROAD, Auto, VSC, Truxedo Lo Pro Soft Cover, Stainless Factory Tube Steps(Challenger's), Black Headlight Mod, EGR In Channel Window Shades, EGR AERO Bug Guard, Amsoil series 2000 synthetic 0W-30

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by flyman767 View Post
    Chances are you have one or both front tires that are slightly out of balance. You have to rebalance the wheels using a lug-centric adapter.
    This is the only way to ascertain an accurate balance. If this doesn't work, than you either have a out of round/bad tire or possibly a bad wheel.

Do most tire shops have a lug-centric adapter? I have actually never heard of that.

Liked
    0 times

I'm not sure if most; however, your better tire centers/dealers will. If you do a search on balancing tires/steering vibration this has been discussed at length and many have had problems with balancing until the shop used a lug-centric adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
    Do most tire shops have a lug-centric adapter? I have actually never heard of that.
    2007 TRD OFF-ROAD, Auto, VSC, Truxedo Lo Pro Soft Cover, Stainless Factory Tube Steps(Challenger's), Black Headlight Mod, EGR In Channel Window Shades, EGR AERO Bug Guard, Amsoil series 2000 synthetic 0W-30

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

if all this tire and balancing work, along with alignments are done at toy dealership, would it be safe to assume that they are using the proper equipment to make these repairs?

Liked
    0 times

Nope... you would think; there are members who've had this identical problem and the dealer could not get an accurate balance due to not having the right equipment(lug-centric-adapter).
    Quote Originally Posted by eekus@comcast.net View Post
    if all this tire and balancing work, along with alignments are done at toy dealership, would it be safe to assume that they are using the proper equipment to make these repairs?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

that makes me want to puke thanks

Liked
    0 times

My dealership does not have the proper equipment. They send it out to a tire shop.
    Cheers Dave

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

The tires that were on the rear are out of round (have high road force numbers). Your dealer should have a road force balancer like mine and can check them and replace as needed. They WILL need replaced. Toyota is having major issues with tires on Tacos and Tundras. Especially Dunlops.
    I am assuming that they have been rotated every 5k, if not then disregard the above comment.