Transmission Temp from OBD-II Scanner?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Transmission Temp from OBD-II Scanner?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Transmission Temp from OBD-II Scanner?

I have been trying to get a readout for transmission temperature on my '05 Tacoma. Does anyone have an OBD-II reader that they can confirm does readout transmission fluid temp on an '05 Tacoma??

The repair manual says it is available in the enhanced data set. I purchased the Autoxray 6000 and even though Toyota enhanced data is activated, the tool does not provide enhanced data for my truck (see my posting in the engine and drive train section). The list for Toyota includes it but they say they can't read the 2005.

I think Autoenginuity should read transmission temp but the messages from them have been confusing and I am looking for 100% assurance since I can't return it the $150 activation from them once it is purchased.

Fortunately, I purchased the AutoXray from DevilDogTools and Mike provided awesome service and had no problem with me returning my AutoXray so at least I am not out that money. I highly recommend DevilDogTools to others and plan to buy all my stuff there in the future.

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Transmission Temp from OBD-II Scanner?

The 2005 and up Tacomas use CAN interface communication, you'll need to find a scantool that uses CAN communication to read all the datalists.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mehullica View Post
    The 2005 and up Tacomas use CAN interface communication, you'll need to find a scantool that uses CAN communication to read all the datalists.
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, what I have found is that most of the scanners have the CAN capability and can read the generic OBD-II data. I am looking for one that can also read the enhanced data including transmission temp. The Autoxray could read the enhanced data on our Toyota Sienna but it could not on my '05 Tacoma. So far, it looks that only the really expensive Mastertech handheld can read the Tacoma and possibly some of the laptop ones such as Enginuity. I am hoping that someone with the Enginuity software will see this note and reply with confirmation that it can read tranmission temp before I layout $300 for it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

ScanGaugeII should be coming out with an update that reads Tranny Temp...1 or 2 months I think.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by frank@mgt View Post
    ScanGaugeII should be coming out with an update that reads Tranny Temp...1 or 2 months I think.
    Thanks. I can't wait for that product! That would be the perfect solution!! I forgot that I actually had a note from them that they have their new program in 'beta test.'

I guess I'll just wait for that to come out rather than trying to find an OBD-ii reader since I haven't been able to get 100% confirmation that any of the readers out there right now can read transmission temperature on a 2cd gen Tacoma without the super expensive professional model.

Steve