Shock replacement

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shock replacement

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Shock replacement

do I need to do a alignment if I just replace my stock shocks for Bilstein 5100 set a stock positions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Shock replacement

I would say no, especially if your ride height does not change.
    D
    DWard
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 4 door long bed SR5 package #7

Liked
    176 times

^^ I agree -- no need for alignment with shock change and stock ride height.

redrocket

I replaced my front shocks with Bilstein's. My repair shop guys told me two things: the front's are not "shocks" but "struts" and that it was a good idea to realign after changing them. So I did. My 2005 V6 Taco DC tracks better, doesn't hunt all over the road like it used to, feels much more stable on the road.
    redrocket

Liked
    176 times

Quote Originally Posted by redrocket View Post
    My repair shop guys told me two things: the front's are not "shocks" but "struts" and that it was a good idea to realign after changing them.
    A couple things should be clarified. It's good to have alignment checked occasionally (for instance, when new tires are installed, or with new shocks if you wish) and corrected if necessary.

Replacing struts (with stock height units) does not require alignment any more than replacing shocks.

Finally -- 2005+ Tacomas most definitely have front coilover shocks -- not struts. There is a difference, and a lot people who should know better (like your repair shop guys) often confuse the two. Incidentally, Miatas use coilovers at all four corners -- and they are frequently (and incorrectly) referred to as struts.

We have upper and lower A-arms (or control arms, if you like) with coilover shocks attached to the UCAs. A strut assembly replaces the UCA.

This seems to be a hot-button issue with some guys and I'm not trying to start any arguments -- just clarifying.
    Last edited by Splicer; 08-04-2007 at 08:12 AM.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    A couple things should be clarified. It's good to have alignment checked occasionally (for instance, when new tires are installed, or with new shocks if you wish) and corrected if necessary.

Replacing struts (with stock height units) does not require alignment any more than replacing shocks.

Finally -- 2005+ Tacomas most definitely have front coilover shocks -- not struts. There is a difference, and a lot people who should know better (like your repair shop guys) often confuse the two. Incidentally, Miatas use coilovers at all four corners -- and they are frequently (and incorrectly) referred to as struts.

We have upper and lower A-arms (or control arms, if you like) with coilover shocks attached to the UCAs. A strut assembly replaces the UCA.

This seems to be a hot-button issue with some guys and I'm not trying to start any arguments -- just clarifying.

Correct, also known as a MacPherson strut

Liked
    176 times

Quote Originally Posted by anestech* View Post
    Correct, also known as a MacPherson strut
    Anestech*, you may well be agreeing with me, but your reply left me confused as to what you meant. At any rate -- MacPherson struts are commonly used on the front suspension of many vehicles, especially smaller front-drive cars. Just not on Tacomas.

This is a basic illustration of a double A-arm suspension with a coilover shock, which Tacomas have. The coilover is mounted to the lower arm while ours is mounted to the upper arm, but the principle is the same.

And this next one is an illustration of a strut suspension. Notice that the upper A-arm of the previous design has been eliminated, and replaced with the strut assembly -- just as I said in my post #5 above. Tacomas do not have this type of suspension.

There are obvious similarities between a strut and a coilover shock, but it's easy to see the differences in suspension design between a MacPherson strut and a double A-arm with coilovers. Hope this helps clear up any confusion.
    Last edited by Splicer; 08-06-2007 at 07:32 PM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I know this is an old post, but for anybody reading this, I think you shouldn't get hung up over the "correct" term to use. Either way, coilover or Mac-strut, the point is the tacoma and tundra have a front spring/shock assembly that is a single piece, and to replace the spring or shock you have to have a compressor to take the stress out of the system before you can remove the shock.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I work as a mechanic for a company that specializes in steering and suspension related components of cars and trucks and it is highly recommended that you at least get your alignment checked when replacing STRUTS. When replacing shocks an alignment is not necessary because the shock does not hold any part of the suspension system. A good tech CAN put struts on your vehicle without messing up the alignment but you should get an alignment when replacing your struts.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

you should get an alignment - the 5100's are a bit taller even with no lift - so i would do it asap -- if your tacoma is a 4x4 -- then i would think twice about even installing them.

4x4 and 5100's have an issue with noises/vibrations ... beware

Liked
    176 times

Quote Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post
    you should get an alignment - the 5100's are a bit taller even with no lift - so i would do it asap -- if your tacoma is a 4x4 -- then i would think twice about even installing them.

4x4 and 5100's have an issue with noises/vibrations ... beware
    Thanks for the info --- that's good to know.

My 'no alignment' advice was based on the OP's statement of stock position...

But this thread is about a year old, so he probably got it done already

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I looked at my 2008, SR5 shock absorbers today and the top barrel of the shocks appear to be constructed of cardboard?? I've never seen anything like that. I love the truck but is that cheap or what??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.