Transmission level on Toyota tacoma 2007

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission level on Toyota tacoma 2007

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Transmission level on Toyota tacoma 2007

Does anybody know how to check the trans. level on the 2007 pre runner tacoma,is it with the motor running or off, I know it has a check screw at the bottom.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Transmission level on Toyota tacoma 2007

If you think you have a underserviced tranny due to a "lurch"...you can take it to your dealer and have it checked...free of charge, assuming you are still under the factory warranty. The unit is sealed and has a set procedure to accurately check the fluid level. However, if you insist on wanting to do it yourself, see the following pdf link.

http://haroldmiller.net/FSM/05+/data...a/02800210.pdf
    2007 TRD OFF-ROAD, Auto, VSC, Truxedo Lo Pro Soft Cover, Stainless Factory Tube Steps(Challenger's), Black Headlight Mod, EGR In Channel Window Shades, EGR AERO Bug Guard, Amsoil series 2000 synthetic 0W-30

Liked
    0 times

I would not be a bit surprised if it were low.

My '04 Tacoma differential was half full when it left the plant.

Hecho in America.
    Mike Murrell

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the info.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Dumb question here, why did the Tacoma do away with the easy dipstick check for the tranny?
    I took mine to the dealer & he looked at me funny when I asked him to replace the Tranny oil (w/34k miles). I couldn't find when this service is supposed to be done in the owners manual.

Do tranny's not need oil changes as much as they used to? I try to do it at least every 40k.

Liked
    0 times

The reason Toyota doesn't install a dipstick is because the unit is sealed and doesn't require a change. I thought it was supposed to be changed at 100K; however, the dealer advises me Toyota does not recommend it to be changed at all??? Also, I would imagine cost ways in one of the reasons Toyota doesn't install a dipstick.

Quote Originally Posted by clarks View Post
    Dumb question here, why did the Tacoma do away with the easy dipstick check for the tranny?
    I took mine to the dealer & he looked at me funny when I asked him to replace the Tranny oil (w/34k miles). I couldn't find when this service is supposed to be done in the owners manual.

Do tranny's not need oil changes as much as they used to? I try to do it at least every 40k.
    Last edited by flyman767; 09-25-2007 at 09:12 PM.
    2007 TRD OFF-ROAD, Auto, VSC, Truxedo Lo Pro Soft Cover, Stainless Factory Tube Steps(Challenger's), Black Headlight Mod, EGR In Channel Window Shades, EGR AERO Bug Guard, Amsoil series 2000 synthetic 0W-30

Liked
    9 times
    Images

100k before changing the oil? Is that good for the tranny? I don't understand that at all. Is this what most manufactures are doing?

Liked
    0 times

Yes...I believe this is becoming standard across the industry. The fluid is designed to last(WS fluid) but never changing it...I'm not too sure?? I had read somewhere that some Mercedes lines don't have a dipstick for the engine oil. Rather, one has to wait for a signal from the on-board computers to tell them the oil needs changed or has developed a leak. Too much unneeded technology for me.....just my 02 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by clarks View Post
    100k before changing the oil? Is that good for the tranny? I don't understand that at all. Is this what most manufactures are doing?
    Last edited by flyman767; 09-26-2007 at 07:49 AM.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by flyman767 View Post
    Yes...I believe this is becoming standard across the industry. The fluid is designed to last(WS fluid) but never changing it...I'm not too sure?? I had read somewhere that some Mercedes lines don't have a dipstick for the engine oil. Rather, one has to wait for a signal from the on-board computers to tell them the oil needs changed or has developed a leak. Too much unneeded technology for me.....just my 02 cents.

I have an '06 Avalon with the WS transmission fluid. It's supposed to be good for 100K. That car fortunately has a dipstick and a drain plug on the bottom of the pan.

I drained mine at 24K and the color was no where near as red as new WS fluid.

A lot of people buy into the 100K fluid, spark plug BS. I am not one of them.

Toyota and most all mfgs. are doing this for 2 reasons:

- sell cars - exteneded intervals attract buyers
    - wear out the car sooner so you "have" to buy a new one sooner.

It's not a mystery.

If you buy a new car every 4-5 yrs., this new plan is likely OK. If you want to drive 200K-300K, then ignore the extended intervals.

I want to see one of these go 300K on the same tranny fluid.
    Mike Murrell

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Murrell View Post
    I have an '06 Avalon with the WS transmission fluid. It's supposed to be good for 100K. That car fortunately has a dipstick and a drain plug on the bottom of the pan.

It's not a mystery.

If you buy a new car every 4-5 yrs., this new plan is likely OK. If you want to drive 200K-300K, then ignore the extended intervals.

Well said.

I agree.

EDIT:
    Let me expand a bit.

I just took my Taco into the stealership Monday. (still there)
    wanted them to do a few things under warranty.
    (Radio replace/ tail gate, look at tranny)

The tranny makes a gear whine at 1/4 throttle, accelerating, just before shifting.

They said they tried a few things, and nothing seemed to work.

So they ordered me a whole new transmission. (2wd, auto)
    I just thought the fluid was low.

Last edited by AZ Warrior; 09-26-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Liked
    0 times

Maybe the fluid was low...hence the damage to your tranny. Just curious...do you know if the tranny had thrown any code? My guess is it probably hadn't. How many miles? Was this a recent noise or had you be hearing it for some time?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Warrior View Post
    I just thought the fluid was low.

Liked
    0 times

I'm in agreement as well...it's kinda the epitome of society today...lets buy something today and throw it away after a year or two(maybe less) so we could buy something bigger and more expensive later. The price we pay for laziness and convenience. Sad....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Murrell View Post

It's not a mystery.

Liked
    0 times

If you think you have a underserviced tranny due to a "lurch"...you can take it to your dealer and have it checked...free of charge, assuming you are still under the factory warranty. The unit is sealed and has a set procedure to accurately check the fluid level. However, if you insist on wanting to do it yourself, see the following pdf link.

http://haroldmiller.net/FSM/05+/data...a/02800210.pdf
    i'm not so sure the dealer will check your fluid for free.
    my dealer told me that if it is low; no charge, but if it is not; then i have to pay for the labor

Liked
    0 times

Thats wrong...if Toyota is not going to install a dipstick, then the dealers should be willing to check the fluid at Toyota's expense...certainly under the factory warranty. Here's why: If your level is low...who's to say there is not undue stress on the tranny that may not show up until some time in the future..probably when the warranty has expired. If it were me, I would insist on them checking it at no charge. Also, tell them about the several Tacoma owners who have already found there tranny fluid low from the factory.

You probably have to complain about an issue with your tranny for them to justify the techs time in order to get Toyota to pay. If you tell them you not having any issues, but would like to have it it checked for your own "piece of mind"...then they probably will deny you.

In addition, I would put a call in to Toyota customer care as well. At least for no other reason but to document your complain for any future issues with the tranny. If no luck...try another dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post
    i'm not so sure the dealer will check your fluid for free.
    my dealer told me that if it is low; no charge, but if it is not; then i have to pay for the labor
    Last edited by flyman767; 09-26-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Maybe the fluid was low...hence the damage to your tranny. Just curious...do you know if the tranny had thrown any code? My guess is it probably hadn't. How many miles? Was this a recent noise or had you be hearing it for some time?

No codes thrown.

Bought the truck used & "certified" by toyota. (doesn't mean much I find)

Has 56k on it, it's an 05, 2wd,DC, sb, auto trans.

It felt like it was low on fluid. It really felt like the flash point of the torque converter went up 500 rpm at times.

Makes me wonder about the converter lock up on it.
    Not sure if they are replacing the converter or not.

Said he'd let me know about the converter.
    Last edited by AZ Warrior; 09-26-2007 at 01:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast