05 Tacoma door lock problem -- any ideas?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 05 Tacoma door lock problem -- any ideas?

Liked
    0 times

Exclamation 05 Tacoma door lock problem -- any ideas?

I have a 2005 Tacoma (TRD Sport). Recently when I press the unlock button on my remote two times to unlock all the doors, 3 of the 4 doors unlock and 1 of them does not. The rear passenger side door remains locked when all others unlock. I have to press the lock and unlock buttons several times to get it to finally unlock. Same thing happens when I use the interior lock/unlock button on the drivers side door. That one door will not always unlock when it should -- it does however seem to lock every time as it should. The problem is only when unlocking. It does not happen all the time, only about 90% of the time. Any ideas what I should be looking at to fix the problem? Of course, this happened just outside of warranty. I have searched the forums and haven't been able to find anybody else talking about this problem.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 05 Tacoma door lock problem -- any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jrb009 View Post
    I have a 2005 Tacoma (TRD Sport). Recently when I press the unlock button on my remote two times to unlock all the doors, 3 of the 4 doors unlock and 1 of them does not. The rear passenger side door remains locked when all others unlock. I have to press the lock and unlock buttons several times to get it to finally unlock. Same thing happens when I use the interior lock/unlock button on the drivers side door. That one door will not always unlock when it should -- it does however seem to lock every time as it should. The problem is only when unlocking. It does not happen all the time, only about 90% of the time. Any ideas what I should be looking at to fix the problem? Of course, this happened just outside of warranty. I have searched the forums and haven't been able to find anybody else talking about this problem.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

that sounds like a malfunction on the door lock actuator, there is a way to test them but i dont remember how, you can find all the info on techinfo.toyota.com but you will need to pay for subscription $10 a day or $50 a month or i think the actuator will go for just over $100 at dealer, and installation is not hard, just requires removal of door panel.

Liked
    0 times

what you will need is # 8 lock assy at a whooping $216 retail. so i think it will be worth to test it first see if that is the problem, on my tundra it was very simple i think only 2 wires , but dont remember what the procedure is.

Liked
    126 times

Quote Originally Posted by diablito1975 View Post
    that sounds like a malfunction on the door lock actuator
    That's what it was on my Grand Cherokee, with the same symptoms he described.

I might be able to save you some $$ on the part, if you need it. My son works in a dealer parts dept, and can sell at a discount. Nothing in it for me, just doing a fellow board member a favor.

In the meantime, maybe this pdf will help... http://haroldmiller.net/FSM/05+/data...6ta/053002.pdf
    Last edited by Splicer; 12-03-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Liked
    33 times

Quote Originally Posted by diablito1975 View Post
    that sounds like a malfunction on the door lock actuator.
    I'd have to agree with everyone.
    Here is a PDF on how to check it.
    PM sent
    Last edited by mustang67408; 03-24-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the quick and thorough replies. I really appreciate it. I'll look into this and report my findings!

Thanks again,

Joe

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I've got this same problem.. any solutions?

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by sprime1 View Post
    I've got this same problem.. any solutions?
    I was going to have mine fixed, but I got busy and put it off for a week or two, then all of the sudden it just started working again and has ever since. It has been working as expected for a year now... weird huh. I wont complain!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Its definately the actuator. I had to replace three of mine already on my 07 taco and am getting ready to replace the last one.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a similar problem on my '06. At first, I had to do the lock/unlock to get the driver's side door to unlock. Now, the driver's door only locks/unlocks via the key.

Is there a mechanical linkage from the door lock or does everything go through the ECU to the actuator?

If there is no mechanical link, I have some other problem. If there is a link, my guess is the actuator is toast.

M

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Same thing happened on my 05. I am trying to see if I can take the actuator out and fix it....