Parked Tacoma moving while in gear?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Parked Tacoma moving while in gear?

Liked
    0 times

Question Parked Tacoma moving while in gear?

My wife's stick shift Tacoma 4X4 will move when it is parked with the transmission in gear, the engine off and the parking brake *not* applied. Is this normal? I told her to start using the paring brake. That's what it's for. This is her third stick shift Tacoma and I guess it's the first one to exhibit this characteristic. At least it's the first one that she has told me about.

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Parked Tacoma moving while in gear?

Not normal on any standard shift vehicle I know of.

Does it roll easily or does it 'creep' slowly?

When it exhibits the rolling problem is the shifter still in gear when you get back in the truck?

While the manufacturer's always recommend setting the parking brake while parked it should not roll if it is in gear. You should have it checked out. The clutch may be slipping (creeps) or the shifter adjustment may be off causing it to pop out of gear when parked (rolls easily).
    2007 Access Cab 4x2, 4 cyl.,
    Black with SR5 pkg. 2
    View Picture Gallery

Liked
    0 times

Well, this definitely does not seem normal. Maybe in like 3rd gear with a pretty steep hill it might roll, but in first gear, it shouldn't move even on up to like a 10% grade. I usually park mine in 1st gear with the aprking brake on, however I have had it in gear with the parking brake off plenty of time and it has never wanted to roll. I am no expert, but I would say that it is not normal. Is there any slipping in the clutch when you accelerate quickly?

Nathan
    "If you can read this, flip your jeep over!"

2006 Tacoma TRD Off Road Access Cab Black Sand Pearl

6" Pro Comp Performance Lift W/ Front Coil Overs
    33x12.5x17 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
    17x9 Dick Cepek Black DC-1's
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    Billet Grill
    Painted Grill Black
    Completely 'Debadged'
    Black HALO and LED Headlights
    Smoked Altezza Tail Lights
    USA Spec iPod Adapter
    K&N DryCharger Filter Wrap
    Window Tinting 15% All Around
    12" Stubbie Antenna

Liked
    0 times

I have hunch that it might be the clutch. All of my wife's vehicles have been stick shifts. Lots and lots of years of driving, but she still does not have a good "release" when she takes her foot off the clutch. She sort of "slips it". We had to replace the clutch on her 1992 Toyota truck -- pretty pricey.

However, when I drive the truck I don't notice any slippage when I accelerate. Not yet at least. I have not checked for the movement on an incline yet. But from her description, I'd say that it creeps. It does not "pop out'" of gear.

So are the chances of it being the clutch pretty good? We have about 45,000 miles on the truck.

Tom

Liked
    1 times

While I have an auto and cannot attest to the gear ratio of first gear on the manuals nor the impact of the compression ratio, it can be normal for vehicles to roll while in gear. The three factors considered are: Incline percentage, gear ratio, compression ratio and weight of vehicle.

I've have many sports cars in the past and they would all roll while in gear if the e-brake wasn't applied. So, while no one else speaking up here has experienced it, I'm not sure it's legit to say that "it's not normal for it to roll while in gear with the e-brake off". That's why there's an e-brake, because leaving a manual in first isn't always going to hold your vehicle!

Liked
    0 times

Any "quickie" at home checks to determine clutch slippage? If there is slippage it is only slight. Like I said earlier, I do not notice slippage under normal acceleration.

Tom

Liked
    1 times

Yes, I've had vehicles that would roll in gear on an incline. I haven't tried it with my Tacoma, because I've always used the parking brake. I had a Samurai that would move and a Capri that would easily roll on an incline in gear.

Should be pretty easy to tell if it is the clutch slipping or if the engine is really turning. Stop it on an incline, mark a pully with some chalk, let it roll and see if the chalk mark moved.

Bob

Liked
    0 times

Every non diesel, manual trans vehicle I have had will roll on some inclines while in gear, I can't see how so many here have never seen it and consider it "not normal"

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mdbrjb View Post
    Yes, I've had vehicles that would roll in gear on an incline. I haven't tried it with my Tacoma, because I've always used the parking brake. I had a Samurai that would move and a Capri that would easily roll on an incline in gear.

Should be pretty easy to tell if it is the clutch slipping or if the engine is really turning. Stop it on an incline, mark a pully with some chalk, let it roll and see if the chalk mark moved.

Bob
    I think that I'll give this a try. I took the time to mess with the Tacoma a bit this afternoon. There is a slight movement on an incline but it doesn't feel like its "creeping". Also when I drove the truck there were none of the usual symptoms that go with a slipping clutch.

Tom

Tom

Liked
    0 times

When you keep the truck in gear, you're relying on the engine to keep the truck in place. Now, it's not easy to overpower the crankshaft, but a heavy *** truck can definitely do it.

Always use the parking brake with a M/T.
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab V6 4x4 w/ TRD Off-Road pkg., Auto
    1991 MR2 V6 (1MZFE)