Tacoma vs Tundra - MPG

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tacoma vs Tundra - MPG

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Tacoma vs Tundra - MPG

Can anyone help me out with how the fuel economy compares between the Tundra and the Taco? I'm torn between the 2. The new tundras are WAY overkill for my needs. (any other pros and cons are welcome as well) I've surfed the forums quite a bit and am just looking for fresh advice.

I'm down to thinking about a 2006 tundra that just doesn't "feel" nearly as big as the 2nd gen's and maybe the Tacoma. I'm really not fond of the seating position in the tacoma but maybe I can tweak that somehow

Any help out there?

Tks.
    Pete.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Tacoma vs Tundra - MPG

The SEARCH button is your friend.

Liked
    0 times

I love my taco, and the tundra is overkill for me. MPG is actually pretty close, maybe 2mpg better in the taco. There are a couple different seats available for the taco. Personally I think the taco is a better truck, but I am kinda partial....

Liked
    0 times

If you say the new Tundra is overkill for your needs, then you've already answered your own question.
    Eric
    2007 Toyota Tacoma
    PreRunner SR5 V6 DC/SB

Liked
    0 times

Here is the TRUTH. I have the new 07' Tundra crewmax SR5 4x2. And my best friend just bought the brand new 08' Tacoma prerunner double cab 4x2. I drove it. I love it. I mean really love it. It just sucks up bumps like no other. I love the way it handles and how well and tall it stood up on the road. The ride is ultra smooth and I kept saying , I should have bought this instead. It would've saved me over 10 grand. But after the test ride, I'm still super happy with my crewmax.
    Now the Tacoma's interior is nothing compare to my truck. But it's enough. Let's just say it's half the size of the Tundra. So, go and get the new Tacoma. You won't , and I mean won't regret it. Oh, and it saves your pocket and gas bill too.

RFT
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

MPG for my 06 double cab SR5 is 14.8 city with the best I ever got was 15.4 city.
    HWY driving is a little better but 95% of my driving is city.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by pkriv View Post
    Can anyone help me out with how the fuel economy compares between the Tundra and the Taco? I'm torn between the 2. The new tundras are WAY overkill for my needs. (any other pros and cons are welcome as well) I've surfed the forums quite a bit and am just looking for fresh advice.

I'm down to thinking about a 2006 tundra that just doesn't "feel" nearly as big as the 2nd gen's and maybe the Tacoma. I'm really not fond of the seating position in the tacoma but maybe I can tweak that somehow

Any help out there?

Tks.
    Pete.
    I was in pretty much the same situation last year except I was trying to decide between the new full size GMC and the Taco. This choice was even harder because the GMC gets better mileage than the Tundra and very close to the Taco's mileage. But I really didn't need all that space or the real back seat that a full size pickup has and I liked the way the Taco drives/rides and fits easily into parking spots. Its hauling/towing ability is adequate for my needs. I also liked the composite bed so I didn't have to buy an aftermarket bedliner and don't ever have to worry about it rusting. As far as the seating position, I didn't like that either so I raised the front of my drivers seat a little over an inch and it now feels much better. Another thing I found that I had to change on the Taco was the stereo but that didn't cost much because the speakers are OK, they just need more power pushing them so for about $300 I now have sound that's nearly comparable to the factory GMC Bose stereo. After a year and 16K miles, I'm very happy with my decision to go with the Taco. It's a good truck and a very convenient size for my needs.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    2 times

Get a Tacoma. Cheaper to maintain, cheaper to feed, easier to part, I think resales better on Tacoma's, Tacoma will last forever and will sell easier. With my experience the Tundra drives better.
    TUNDRA786
    2007 Tundra Crew Max 4.7 TRD 4x4
    285/65/18's with BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's
    BedRug, Undercover, Bed Extender, Husky Liners

Liked
    0 times

I was recently faced with this question after my 97 Tacoma was bought back by Toyota. It was a great truck and served me well. I test drove the Tacoma and the Tundra. The Tacoma felt cramped and I am under 6' 200lbs. Looking to have kids the DC Tundra offered more room that the 4door Tacoma. I liked the way the Tundra drove compared to the Tacoma. The prices was basically the same after the rebates. I was concerned the composite bed might crack in the cold. So the end result is that I picked up my new 08 Tundra two days ago and am very happy with my purchase. I mean after all I might have gotten 2-3 mgp better in the Tacoma and had an easier time parking it but I think that the advantages far out way the negatives.
    2008 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7 SR5 TRD
    1997 Tacoma LX 3.4 - Bought back by Toyota
    1977 Aussie FJ45 pickup

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Here's my take. I recently sold my 2006 Tundra DC 4WD. It had the 4.7, 5 speed auto. It rode like a Caddy but was rough on gas (13 - 14MPG) and I have a very soft foot. It was also difficult to back up as the rear end of the truck was much higher than the front - so judging things behind me was irritating. Now my current ride is an 08 Taco Double Cab Long bed 4wd. I love it. It doesn't ride as smooth as the Tundra but the I average 19MPG around town and it's as nimble as hell. Plus with the full size bed, I don't feel cheated. I don't really haul a lot of heavy stuff so for me the decision to go to the Taco was easy to make. Good luck. I don't see a return to anything less than $3 per gallon gas ever. This isn't a short term price spike. This is th result of a growing globalized economy coupled with antiquated energy infrastructure coupled with no forward thinking energy policy by our government.

Liked
    0 times

I've had both. An 06 Tacoma 4x4 and currently a 07 Tundra 4x4. There is a 4 mpg difference between them with me. 17.5 gallons to fill the Tacoma, 19.5 gallons for the Tundra when both low fuel lights come on. The Tundra is a good truck but overkill for my needs. I wish I had kept the Tacoma at this point. As far as resale value, my tacoma is worth more now than when I traded it in a year ago even after I added the miles on to it according th KBB, and we all know the Tundra resale has dropped like a rock recently.
    Last edited by blackbeauty; 05-17-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Liked
    0 times

In December I went in to buy a Tacoma. At the time there was 4000 dollar rebate on the Tundra and pretty close drive out prices between the two. According to the sticker the MPG was pretty close on the Tacoma and Tundra, not worth talking about. I test drove both, it was a no brainer for me, the Tundra blew away the Tacoma. The seating comfort, ride and noise levels were like night and day. I wound up with the 5.7 DC Tundra. It is bigger than the Tacoma but the Tacoma is huge compared to what it was not long ago!
    Good luck.
    Rick

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My '05 Taco Double Cab 2WD TRD SR5 Sport gets 21 mpg in my highway/city loop.
    Towing an '06 Polaris Ranger 700 XP 4x4.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Both our trucks get 16mpg. The Tacoma might do better once in a while but only 1-2mpg better.

The insurance is about the same between both trucks.

2007 Tacoma, access cab, 4.0L, 6speed, 4x4
    2004 Tundra, access cab, 4.7L, auto, 4x4
    Nicole's 2007 Tacoma TRD
    • Bilstein 5100s, Revtek
    • Shrockworks front bumper
    • AllPro rear bumper and sliders
    • 285/75R16 Cooper STTs
    • Incubus Off-Road rims
    • BestTop Softtopper
    • K&N FIPK
    • Wheeler AAL and blocks
    Clark's 2004 Tundra TRD
    • Bilstein 5100s
    • FatBob 1" spacer and diff drop
    • Wheelers AAL, blocks, and bushings
    • Camburg UCAs
    • Downey/K&N Air intake
    • Firestone airlift
    • 33x12.50R16 Wild Country RVT
    • Weld Racing 16x12 Super Single IIs
    Comming Soon In The Mail:
    • Kennesaw Mountain Pre-runner bumpers

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Pete, I don't know if this will help, but I have a 2002 Tundra Access Cab with the 4.7 Liter V8 that I put 260K miles on and I averaged about 17 mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph. I just bought a 2008 Tacoma Double Cab with the V6 and with only 2500 miles so far I am averaging 18 to 20 mph on the highway at 70-75 mph. I have been told that the mpg on the Tacoma might increase a little over time. David.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast