Programming The Keyless Remote

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Programming The Keyless Remote

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Programming The Keyless Remote

I did a search and did not find this anywhere in these forums, in fact, its almost impossible to get this information easily anywhere. One of my keyless remotes started acting up, so I got a replacement OEM one on E-Bay pretty cheap. Its brand new and it came with a battery installed and programming instructions. Problem was, I sat in my driveway for 45 minutes like a boob doing these instructions over and over again. My neighbors were probably thinking I'm nuts with the doors constantly locking and un-locking and doors opening and closing. In the end, the instructions I got with the new remote were wrong. I'm not blaming the seller though as I did find at least two other postings on the web that gave the same instructions for my vehicle. So there may well be two different sets of instructions for programming the keyless remote for this vehicle. I'm listing both below, if one does not work for you, try the other. Maybe they will give this a stickey as I see a ton of posts asking for this info.

I have a 2007 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 ExtraCab.

These instructions worked.....

1. Start with the following conditions: You are in the drivers seat.
    a. Key is out of the ignition
    b. Driver door is open (all other doors closed)
    c. Driver door is unlocked (other doors don't matter)
    2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition twice within 5 seconds.
    3. Close and open the drivers door twice within 40 seconds.
    4. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.
    5. Close and open the drivers door twice within 40 seconds.
    6. Insert the key into the ignition.
    7. Close the door
    8. Turn the key in the ignition on and then off.
    9. Remove the key from the ignition.
    10. The power locks should automatically cycle once to indicate that you have successfully entered program mode.
    11. Within 40 seconds of the entering program mode.
    a. press both transmitter lock and unlock buttons SIMULTANEOUSLY for a duration of from 1 to 1.5 seconds.
    b. within 3 seconds, press the transmitter lock button for more than 1 second and release.
    c. If the transmitter has been sucessfully programmed, the power locks will cycle. if they do not cycle the remote has not been accepted.
    d. If multiple NEW remotes are to be programmed, repeat steps A-C.
    12. Open the driver's door.

These instructions came with the remote and did not work....

1. Start with the following conditions: you are seated in the vehicle
    a. Key is out of the ignition.
    b. Drivers door is open, all other doors are closed.
    c. Drivers door is unlocked.
    2. Insert the key into the ignition (don't turn it) and pull it out.
    3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
    a. cycle the power locks 5 times, evenly spaced and relatively fast.
    b. Close, then open the drivers door.
    4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
    a. cycle the power door locks 5 times. (Same as before)
    b. Turn the ignition to on, then back to off.
    c. Turn the ignition to on, then back to off.
    d. Remove the key from the ignition.
    5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should cycle (automatically) indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to STEP 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.
    6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
    a. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 1 second.
    b. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should cycle once indicating successful programming. If the door locks don't cycle, repeat steps 6a and 6b - this remote has not been accepted.
    c. Repeat steps 6a and 6b for each NEW transmitter up to 4 transmitters that will operate this vehicle, (4 includes any old transmitters).
    7. Close the driver door.

Note: The computer can store up to 4 remotes at a time. If you have two originals, and buy two more you can store all four, but if after that you lose one and have to add another which would be a fifth remote, it's entry will write over the first remote entered. For example, your vehicle came with Remote A and Remote B. They are stored in the computer as #1 = A, #2 = B, #3 = Null, #4 = Null. You add two remotes C & D. Computer stores #1 = A, #2 = B, #3 = C, #4 = D. You lose remote B, and buy another remote E. After programming the computer stores #1 = E, #2 = B, #3 = C, #4 = D, so you would have to program your new remote E and your old remote A so the vehicle knows all 4 remaining remotes as #1 = E, #2 = A, #3 = C, #4 = D. Hope that makes sense. :unsure:

Dave
    2007 Super White 4X4 Access Cab SR5 V6 Auto W/Towing Package

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Programming The Keyless Remote

thanks for the heads up, i was going to order a new set soon

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2578632

currently:
    '05 4x4 TRD Sport.
    bilstein adjustable front shocks, raised 1.75"
    TSB SU006-007 added a leaf in the rear
    265/70/17 Dayton Timberline AT IIs

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Default Re: Programming The Keyless Remote

I need to bump this. I followed the first set of instructions and they worked! Just for kicks I called a local dealership to see what they would charge. $114.95!
    Last edited by The Phoenix; 03-29-2011 at 05:16 AM.
    "You can't be afraid to reverse engineer something to see how it works." -Me