Question '12 Tacoma with miss

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: '12 Tacoma with miss

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question '12 Tacoma with miss

Subject is wrong stating a 2012 Tacoma. It's a 2010...

Bought my 2010 Tacoma Doublecab in early 2010. Later in that year I started noticing a miss causing a slight to medium jerk when at idle.
    While sitting at a light it will happen probably 10 times and can range from a slightly noticable miss to a bit of a jerk that is a lot more noticable. I have had a few people in the truck that noticed it as well and gave me a odd look so I know I'm not crazy. I've never had a vehicle do this. This occurs in hot or cold weather and seems possibly happen more once the truck has warmed up a bit. Having the A/C on or off has no effect and the miss is more noticable than the A/C clutch kicking in anyway.

Despite trips to the dealer this has accomplished nothing but to document it with them telling me it is normal. Wha?! Frustrating.
    There is no code thrown, the intake is fine, pull the plugs and they look fine (truck has 10k miles on it).
    I am starting to wonder if there is a coil with an issue.

I have never had any kind of significant issue with the numerous Toyotas I have owned and this one is ticking me off due to the lack of support from the dealer.

Thoughts ideas?
    Any way to test the coils with an intermittant issue? There around $70 a piece and moving one around while possible might take a while.
    Last edited by shobiz; 06-09-2012 at 05:54 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    216 times

Default Re: '12 Tacoma with miss

There is a resistive test for the coils, but it's not to determine intermittent problems. Small hairline cracks can cause such a miss especially if moisture is present and thus causes shorts resulting in spark plugs misfiring. A "not so scientific" test I learned long ago is to start the truck & open the hood while outside in a very dark area and check for sparking between the coils and adjacent areas. If you see blue sparks anywhere in the vicinity of the coils then you've located a sure cause for a misfire.

You can download a free .pdf copy of the Tundra Factory Service Manual from the link below. The resistive testing of the coil is described in that manual.
    Toyota Tacoma/ 4Runner/ Tundra/ FJ Cruiser Factory Service Manual Page
    "You can lead a smart-ass kid to knowledge, but you can be sure that he'll have to argue with the facts"

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I finally took the time to take it to another dealer today.

They took the time to actually put it on the computer and found the miss.

As I expected 1 coil and 1 plug later all good.

Thank you Toyota of Rockwall

Not so much other dealer

Liked
    169 times

Glad it was found & fixed..... intermittent problems can be so difficult to pin down.