TRD Sport VS. TRD off Road Suspension answered

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TRD Sport VS. TRD off Road Suspension answered

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default TRD Sport VS. TRD off Road Suspension answered

I should be working, but i just called 1800GOTOYOTA to get an answer on the Suspension differences between the TRD Sport and The TRD Offroad. It wasn't too bad, it only took them about 20 minutes to get me a detailed answer. We all know about the cosmetic changes, scoop, paint, wheels, and the transmission differences.Here is the answer to the suspension question:

TRD Sport Has:
    Sport Tuned Bilstein Shocks

TRD Offroad has:
    Off Road Tuned Bilstein Shocks ( heavier Dampening Rate)
    Progressive Rate front Coil Springs
    Off Road Cambered Rearspings to compensate for wheel travel in offroad situations
    Larger stabilizer Bar

So the bottom line is the TRD Sport Has a smoother onroad ride while the TRD Off Road is rougher on road, but more equiped for rough terrain.

I have the TRD Sport and absolutely love it. I figure my extent of offroading will include driving around my house to dump a load of mulch or parking precariously on a pile of snow at my local shopping mall. So , the Sport package works out great for me and I still get the cool higher than basic setup.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

well im my experience this is my first truck a TRD off road 4x2 dbl cab taco.
    I love it so far but it gets really bouncy i dont know if my shocks are breaking in or this is how the ride is going to be btw i bought my truck 3 weeks ago it has almost 400 miles on it now.

Liked
    0 times

Hmm,

You would think the sport would have the bigger stabilizer bar to keep it more level when cornering.

Also, a bigger stabilizer might hurt articulation while rock crawling.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by GTCOMA
    I should be working, but i just called 1800GOTOYOTA to get an answer on the Suspension differences between the TRD Sport and The TRD Offroad. It wasn't too bad, it only took them about 20 minutes to get me a detailed answer. We all know about the cosmetic changes, scoop, paint, wheels, and the transmission differences.Here is the answer to the suspension question:

TRD Sport Has:
    Sport Tuned Bilstein Shocks

TRD Offroad has:
    Off Road Tuned Bilstein Shocks ( heavier Dampening Rate)
    Progressive Rate front Coil Springs
    Off Road Cambered Rearspings to compensate for wheel travel in offroad situations
    Larger stabilizer Bar

So the bottom line is the TRD Sport Has a smoother onroad ride while the TRD Off Road is rougher on road, but more equiped for rough terrain.

I have the TRD Sport and absolutely love it. I figure my extent of offroading will include driving around my house to dump a load of mulch or parking precariously on a pile of snow at my local shopping mall. So , the Sport package works out great for me and I still get the cool higher than basic setup.

I adressed this in another thread, the standard size stablizer is 30mm for all tacoma's, in the TRD off-road version it's only 28mm's.

I dont know about the cambered leaf springs but I can say that on pre-runners and 4x4 models the axle is slung under instead of over the rear springs.

TRD off roads springs will give you a rougher ride (if it's true that the damping is heavy) soaking up speed bumps and other things, however with the gas shocks in place rebound decompression (the wheels reaching out twards the ground) should be increased (the wheels will reach out to fill pot holes faster as an example).

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by manytoys
    Hmm,

You would think the sport would have the bigger stabilizer bar to keep it more level when cornering.

Also, a bigger stabilizer might hurt articulation while rock crawling.
    I think that was a mistake. The TRD Offroads front stabilizer bar is 2mm smaller than the TRD Sport. TRD Off Road is 26 mm the TRD sport is 28mm.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I guess they were wrong about the stabilizer bar. I don't know who else to check with if I can't get correct info from Toyota themselves

Liked
    0 times

Does the TRD OffRoad act like a bucking bronco on the road where you bounce off the seat over bumps or give you constant belly jiggles?
    Which set up would be best for city driving where the roads are bumpy and full of potholes? (Sport or OffRoad)

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM
    Does the TRD OffRoad act like a bucking bronco on the road where you bounce off the seat over bumps or give you constant belly jiggles?
    Which set up would be best for city driving where the roads are bumpy and full of potholes? (Sport or OffRoad)
    The sport.
    "You asked for it bro, the cell block gang bang is on now!!!!" - Wacked

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM
    I wouldn't characterize it like a bucking bronco... I'm in Ohio and the roads are pretty much a mess right now from winter weather - I've only found one section of road where it was really bad - and my belly jiggled to say the least.. Overall I think my TRD Off Road actually rides better than the Dakota 2wd I traded for it.

I'd say definitely go with the Sport option if you want a more "car like" ride though - suspension should be more foregiving.
    05 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 V6 TRD Off Road - Silver
    SWEEEEEET!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by marvinmartian
    I wouldn't characterize it like a bucking bronco... I'm in Ohio and the roads are pretty much a mess right now from winter weather - I've only found one section of road where it was really bad - and my belly jiggled to say the least.. Overall I think my TRD Off Road actually rides better than the Dakota 2wd I traded for it.

I'd say definitely go with the Sport option if you want a more "car like" ride though - suspension should be more foregiving.
    Thanks JaredPointer and marvinmartian for your opinions. I actually like a stiff ride and a truck that will handle the rough roads without falling apart after 20K miles. I've driven sporty cars with stiff suspensions all my life. I've also driven both TRD setups, but couldn't tell the difference. I'll have to try it again before I make a final decision. Thanks again

Liked
    0 times

my XR rides nice and smooth and it has the sport tuned Bilstein shocks.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Sport vs Off road

How much of a difference is there between the TRD Off road and Sport? To someone that doesn't watch nascar, will I be able to tell the difference when driving it on a highway? Btw, what is the price difference?

I do my fair share of dirt road driving between hunting and fly fishing but I also travel on the highway an awful lot and don't want to feel like I'm driving a mini-dump truck. What do you think>????nn

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I think you should buy whichever one suits your needs the most.
    But, IMO, I do not think there is gonna be a big difference in ride quality between these models. I think that they all drive great.
    I test drove the SR5 Prerunner V6 and ended up buying my Impulse Red Prerunner V6 with TRD Off-Road package and tow (which I just picked up yesterday. )
    Anyway, I preferred the ride of the Off-Road package, plus I will be taking my truck on alot of gravel and dirt roads. I am a DH mountain bike racer, so I am on dirt roads all the time, but I really did not need 4 wheel drive.
    The OR package appealed to me because of its looks, on and off-road ride, and if I get in the occasionsal muddy section, I got the locking rear to get me out.
    Honestly, I am amazed at how well this trucks rides in general. Its so comfortable, I keep forgetting it is actually a truck.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R
    I think you should buy whichever one suits your needs the most.
    But, IMO, I do not think there is gonna be a big difference in ride quality between these models. I think that they all drive great.
    I test drove the SR5 Prerunner V6 and ended up buying my Impulse Red Prerunner V6 with TRD Off-Road package and tow (which I just picked up yesterday. )
    Anyway, I preferred the ride of the Off-Road package, plus I will be taking my truck on alot of gravel and dirt roads. I am a DH mountain bike racer, so I am on dirt roads all the time, but I really did not need 4 wheel drive.
    The OR package appealed to me because of its looks, on and off-road ride, and if I get in the occasionsal muddy section, I got the locking rear to get me out.
    Honestly, I am amazed at how well this trucks rides in general. Its so comfortable, I keep forgetting it is actually a truck.
    Thanks for the helpful info and enjoy your new ride.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by campbesh
    How much of a difference is there between the TRD Off road and Sport? To someone that doesn't watch nascar, will I be able to tell the difference when driving it on a highway? Btw, what is the price difference?

I do my fair share of dirt road driving between hunting and fly fishing but I also travel on the highway an awful lot and don't want to feel like I'm driving a mini-dump truck. What do you think>????nn

Drive over some pot holes, take a sharp turn, brake hard, and you will start to see the differences in each model.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)