Toyota Tundra Forums banner

2000 Spark Plug Replacement

34K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  stevekx 
#1 ·
On my 2000 Tundra V8 (2UZ-FE 4.7 engine) I replaced my original spark plugs (Denso) with Platinum Autolite and the gap on the ORIGINAL FACTORY PLUGS was .045 but my manual calls for .031. The Autolite plugs were gapped at .045 as well. I left them at that setting but think I probably should have set them to .031.

Also, I know I probably made a mistake using the Autolite plugs from Walmart instead of Denso but will it really matter? If they're made by the same company that makes Fram oil filters I KNOW I'M IN TROUBLE. Wondering if Walmart will take 'em back after they've been installed (not driven with though).

#2 ·
On the original plugs, the gap will "grow" over time as the electrode actually wears from all of the sparking.

On the new plugs, the gap is nominal and may be set for most popular applications. Set the gap as per the decal under the hood.

Use the Autolites unless they cause a misfire, rough idle, etc. Wal-Mart usually takes everything back, so that may be an option. If you run the truck with the new plugs, I personally would have a problem taking them back. I personally use the NGK Iridium plugs (Advanced Auto has the best price I've found). They should be good for 100K. There are other, less expensive NGK options.

#3 ·
Last time I used bosch platnium, no problem. Set the gap to factory specs.

#4 ·
I used the NGK Platinum Plug #BKR6EP8. I just replaced them about 2 months ago and no problems. They came pre-gapped, however, I checked all of them and they all checked out good. I remember reading, either on here or in the repair manual, that the platinum plugs at not to be gapped becuase it damages the platinum. However, I would take them back and get some good NGK plugs. I got my from RockAuto.com for around $7.00 a plug

#7 ·
I just don't get it. Why use $7.00 plugs when $2.00 plugs will do the same job?

Autolite's website says the gap should be .440 for six cylinders, .320 for eight cylinders. In less time than it takes to go to Walmart, you can pull them out, set the gap, and stick 'em back in. Spend the $40.00 you saved elsewhere.

#8 ·
I have posted it somewhere else before: I used NGK copper, NGK platinum and Denso(original plugs) plugs. My 03 ran good with Denso, ran awful with NGK platinum and runs so so with NKG copper (from the dealer). My vote would be Denso copper.

#9 ·
I have a 2001 V6 Tundra. 73k miles on it. I am wondering if my truck needs spark plug replacement? I read that a misfire on a spark plug could cause problems with O2 censors. Since I just replaced one for right at 400 bucks, I'd like to change them out before other O2 censors go bad.......if this is the problem. Any suggestions? The only book I have is a black Toyota book, with just minor maintenance.....and no schedules. I have had to find them online.

#12 ·
I have a 2001 V6 Tundra. 73k miles on it. I am wondering if my truck needs spark plug replacement? I read that a misfire on a spark plug could cause problems with O2 censors. Since I just replaced one for right at 400 bucks, I'd like to change them out before other O2 censors go bad.......if this is the problem. Any suggestions? The only book I have is a black Toyota book, with just minor maintenance.....and no schedules. I have had to find them online.
Unless your V6 came with Platinum plugs I'd say you're 43,000 miles overdue.

Larry

#13 ·
I just replaced mine last week, it may be the first time they've ever been replaced. I got the NGK's the book recommends, it was about $12 for all 8 at O'Riley. I bought the truck with about 66K miles, and I just rolled over 90K. Checked the gap on the old plugs, it's in the 0.55-0.60 range(yikes).

#16 ·
This may sound stupid, but now I am wondering.... how do you change the plugs? I have never done it on my truck before. I am sure it needs it. Looks to me like you loosen that bolt and snap that cover off of them.... ?? Thanks :confused:

#18 ·
Making sure its not overlooked.....

This may sound stupid, but now I am wondering.... how do you change the plugs? I have never done it on my truck before. I am sure it needs it. Looks to me like you loosen that bolt and snap that cover off of them.... ?? Thanks

#19 ·
Making sure its not overlooked.....

This may sound stupid, but now I am wondering.... how do you change the plugs? I have never done it on my truck before. I am sure it needs it. Looks to me like you loosen that bolt and snap that cover off of them.... ?? Thanks
On the V-8:

take the 10mm bolt out of the coils
take the spark plug out with the spark plug socket and ratchet (I think 14mm, but I am not sure)
gap the new plug (0.031)
put a little anit-sieze on the threads (grey looking grease, ask at the counter)
run the new plug in by hand all the way down
get out the trusty torque wrench and tighten them.
put the coil back in the hole
put the 10mm bolt back in.

All done, takes 30 minutes or less.

Note on torque settings:

I have seen various specs listed in different threads here. On the box my new plugs came in it listed 20~30 NM... which is somewhere around 14~19 ft-lbs. I put them at 17ft-lbs/25NM... others I have read on here used 13ftlbs... not sure what is in the manual.

Last time I changed my plugs I used the "run them in until they are tight and give it another 1/4th turn" method ... and they vibrated loose... so I highly recommend the torque wrench method.

Note on gapping:
I prefer the feeler gauge and little wrench method of gapping verse the little round disc you force through the opening to gap. With the feeler gauge and wrench there is no chance you can damage the electrodes. On normal plugs there isn't much chance anyway, but on the little fine pointed iridiums or the platinums I can see it happening.

#20 ·
Just replaced my plugs a week ago have the same truck as you, like stated above easy job just take your time. I did find on this site that the torque was 8lbs for the plugs. I torqued mine to 10. Any rate just bought the truck month ago and the plugs pulled looked pretty rough, I think they were the originals with 66k on them. They were the Denso plugs, I replaced them with NGK coppers and the truck runs great

#21 ·
Just to get everyone one the same page Bosch plugs are for German cars and Densos are for Toyotas. I know they are specd for Toyotas and yes i have used the Platinum 4's in my 93 and after a couple sets i changed back to Densos :eek: felt like i took a 800 Lb weight outta the bed of my truck. Night and day difference in performance/quality!!

#22 ·
I used Denso plugs in mine when I did changed them because that is what I took out.

Some people seem to have strong feelings one way or the other, but I have used everything from the autolite to bosch platinums in past cars and I haven't ever noticed a major difference in how a vehicle runs.

Anybody out there with a service manual that lists the correct torque specs?

BTW, seems the socket size for the spark plugs is 16MM or 5/8 inch... not 14MM as I listed above.

#23 ·
On my 2000 Tundra V8 (2UZ-FE 4.7 engine) I replaced my original spark plugs (Denso) with Platinum Autolite and the gap on the ORIGINAL FACTORY PLUGS was .045 but my manual calls for .031. The Autolite plugs were gapped at .045 as well. I left them at that setting but think I probably should have set them to .031.

Also, I know I probably made a mistake using the Autolite plugs from Walmart instead of Denso but will it really matter? If they're made by the same company that makes Fram oil filters I KNOW I'M IN TROUBLE. Wondering if Walmart will take 'em back after they've been installed (not driven with though).
Online Catalog at DENSO Aftermarket: Performance Aftermarket Automobile Parts If the Autolites were specd for your vehicle you should be ok but it is important to use proper plugs due to the lengths that the stick into cylinder! Gaps are kinda important also.DENSO SPARK PLUGS

#25 ·
Thanks... sounds easy enough. It would not surprise me if the ones in my truck are the originals. It has 106K, so surely they were changed. ??

About the "torque". I am not even sure if we have a torque wrench.... anytime I have ever changed plugs in anything, I just always kinda snugged them down.... not too tight, but not too loose either. I guess thats not good enough on these engines? I am hoping that my plugs are worn out, as my truck does not seem to have the power it should have. I test drove a 2003 Tundra 4wd before I bought my 2000 Tundra and in comparison, the 2003 felt like a rocket compared to my 2000, yet I am told that the HP is the same. Something definitely different there. Also, if I leave in my truck and I do not let the engine warm to operating temp, when I accelerate from a stop, its like something is holding the truck back and its does not run all that smoothly. Knowing my luck, its not the plugs and probably needs the throttle body cleaned or something. Thanks again!

#26 ·
Guys:

I just changed my plugs last week, including the fuel filter, air
cleaner. Pulled the MAF sensor and cleaned the heck out of it as well as cleaned the carbon and ideal ports on the intake manifold. I also put Bosch Platinum plus 2 plugs. The come pregaped. I honestly did not exspect much difference....but I have to tell you, the 2003 4.7L feels brand new all over again. I have to keep pinching myself to make sure I am not making it up. You will not believe the throtle control that returns and how smoth the response is. Hope someone else tries the same maintenance process to varify my results. Mpg is at 18 - 19 frwy; was 15 - 17mpg before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.