Rattle / Vibe in reverse

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rattle / Vibe in reverse

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Rattle / Vibe in reverse

I have a rather loud vibration / rattle sound coming from under the hood on the passenger side. Sounds like it's close to the firewall. Happens every morning when I put it in reverse and back out of the garage with moderate pressure on the brake. It stops when I completely let off the brake or if I apply enoungh pedal pressure to stop completely.

Seems to never happen once I've moved forward and heard the ABS self test complete.

Anyone else have the same problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Rattle / Vibe in reverse

Yep, I have the same problem. I don't know what it is, but when I pull out of the driveway in the morning it happens . Seems to happen more if i'm NOT on the brakes but maybe on the gas just a little . Kind of like a knocking or creaking of rubber and metal. Maybe it's just a bushing that is cold and sticky when it's cold outside. I'm bringing mine in for it's 1000 mile courtesy service this week and I will mention it to them.
    Norsewoodworks
    2006 Tacoma
    4 x 4 TRD OffRoad

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

do you guys have the auto or manual tranny? i have the 6 speed and i definitly experience the same thing. it almost sounds/feels like i'm not using enought throttle as i let out on the clutch.

Liked
    0 times

I have the 6 speed (which is a poor design I might add ). I didn't have the sound this morning. I only have about 700 miles on mine, what about you guys?
    Norsewoodworks
    2006 Tacoma
    4 x 4 TRD OffRoad

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Auto tranny. Sounds like a brake line or component rattling against the body. Like an air chisel type sound although not as loud. Can't imagine why it only happens in reverse. I'll have to let someone else hold the brake and see if I can locate the source under the hood. Lake of replies tells me it is probably a random fault. Maybe someone missed a fastener during assembly. ???

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Found the source.

The air intake duct that travels between the air filter and the right front fender was rattling against cutout on the fender. It is supposed to be isolated from the fender with a foam gasket but the gasket was a little out of place. Only happened in reverse because of the engine torque in reverse allowed it to make contact with the fender. R&R the duct and repositioned the gasket and all is quiet again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.