1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Importing a diesel Hilux worth it?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Importing a diesel Hilux worth it?

I may be heading over seas for a year into the neck of the woods where they sell diesel Hilux's (brand for Tacoma's sold not in the US). The thought of picking up a nice brand new diesel Hilux and bringing it back with me has passed my mind more than once.

• Anybody know how hard it might be to import such a beast?
    • Do the diesel Toyotas live up to or excede the traditional Toyota relibility?
    • Why doesn't Toyota sell any diesels in the US? Cost too much? Emissions? Not enough market?
    • Would it be worth the usual diesel perks to go through all the hastle with diesel costing more than gas these days?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Importing a diesel Hilux worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallon
    I may be heading over seas for a year into the neck of the woods where they sell diesel Hilux's (brand for Tacoma's sold not in the US). The thought of picking up a nice brand new diesel Hilux and bringing it back with me has passed my mind more than once.

• Why doesn't Toyota sell any diesels in the US? Cost too much? Emissions? Not enough market?
    • Would it be worth the usual diesel perks to go through all the hastle with diesel costing more than gas these days?
    You may be able to sneak it in and register it as a tacoma or some such with some illegal tricks but its never going to get registered legally in the US without some support from Toyota. I looked into doing this with other vehicles and its pretty damned impossible.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

You'd probably be better off shipping in a used Hilux drivetrain only. Buy a Taco after you get back and then install the Hilux into your Taco. Good luck if you ever need parts...

Liked
    0 times

It is possible, but it's expensive to import a hilux. Toyota sells what they can get the largest profit margins from, and Americans fear the small cubic inch diesels. Dunno why, but people are scared to buy them. They are the standard for the rest of the pickup driving world, and with good reason, highly reliable, good mileage, and indestructable, but Americans fear them. Here is a pic of one I spotted at a local 4WD show, and the funny thing is the owner (from the Czech republic) was jealous of my 'taco. Go figure, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...

Stop signs make awesome skid plates http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2109419

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I was thinking of putting a hilux 3.2 D-4D into my 06 Tundra limited. Any help from you guys on this project...

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Fallon View Post

-------o-------o-------o--------o-------o---------

I have imported several ..."gray market vehicles" ... but it has been a while since I have done it.

Some of the things that I remember are:
    (1) You lose your factory warranty ... and parts are harder to get.
    (2) Gas engines need pollution controls installed. Not sure about diesels.
    (3) Another expensive problem was "safety glass standards" and changing out all the glass.
    (4) Air bags problems too .. if I remember ??

You can go to a customs import broker and/or check on vehicle standard specs on country you are exporting from and how that differs from US.

Things have probably changed ... but you could also "semi-sneak" one in for "farm use" or private "non-highway use".

Several years ago ... I tried to "legally import" one of the last VW Bugs made in Mexico and it was going to be a nightmare ... so I did not do it.

Good luck if you try ... I love that little HiLux diesel and would do it in a flash if was that easy.

SOS

PS .... Oh ... forgot this ...
    In the past ... with some vehicles ... you could get an exception IF it was a "classic vehicle" .... like a 20 year old vehicle.
    Last edited by SOSHeloPilot; 08-01-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.