1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Window Tint in PA

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Window Tint in PA

Anyone from PA in the Philly area have 20% tint on their driver and passenger windows?

If so, have you had any problems with your truck passing inspection?

I'm dying to get 20% tint for my front windows to match the windows in the back, but the last thing I want to do is make my truck not pass inspection.

I was looking at PA state law and it says that anything less than 70% is illegal.

Too bad, cuz why even bother at 70%. With that much light penetration, you can barely even tell it's tinted. LAME!

Anyway, if you've found a way around this stupid law, I'd like to hear about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Window Tint in PA

Hello, I am from DELCO. I got my truck at Conicelli and have 20% on the front. They inspected it no questions. I only will take it there for the first inspection b/c it was free. I have also take my truck( before getting trd) to a shop in Oreland (Montco) and had no problems. Although the shop in Oreland is my GF dads shop. I am sure if you took it to the dealer they would not have a issue and if they did then they dont inspect it and you can take it to some other shop

Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead00 View Post
    Anyone from PA in the Philly area have 20% tint on their driver and passenger windows?

I'm dying to get 20% tint for my front windows to match the windows in the back, but the last thing I want to do is make my truck not pass inspection.

I was looking at PA state law and it says that anything less than 70% is illegal.

Too bad, cuz why even bother at 70%. With that much light penetration, you can barely even tell it's tinted. LAME!

Anyway, if you've found a way around this stupid law, I'd like to hear about it.
    --------------------------------
    2005 Silver Mica Access Cab Tacoma 4x4-

Veteran Member
    Liked
    12 times

Also from Delco. Got my front windows tinted to either 15% or 20%, I can't remember which for sure. First time I made the mistake of asking for 'the darkest legal' and they gave me something like 35%. From some angles you couldn't even tell there was tint there so I went back, gave them another 100$, and said 'screw legal make it match the rear.'

IN PA the law actually doesn't say anything about percentage if you look it up. All it says is that a law enforcement officer has to be able to see into both front windows. However, according to all the tint shops, most cops have decided that the commonly accepted cutoff point where you can be ticketed is 30% or less light transmission. I've had my 15-20% on for a year now. Been inspected twice, driven around Philly, Delaware County, King of Prussia, Willow Grove, and various other areas on a daily basis past a ton of cops without any problems and I see tons of other vehicles around Delco all the time with ilegal tint. A few tint shops said they're not that hard on trucks as they are with cars when it comes to tint.

Aside from the few who like to waste time with stupid stuff just to mess with people, most cops don't care and won't stop you just for tint. But if you run a light, speed, or blow out a tail light bulb and they pull you over they'll get you for the tint too. So my advice is get whatever you think looks best on your vehicle, drive carefully around cops, and if you see flashing lights in your mirror roll your windows down by the time the cop walks up to the driver's side.

Liked
    0 times

You got a PM

--------------------------------
    2005 Silver Mica Access Cab Tacoma 4x4-

Liked
    0 times

I had 20% on my Tacoma's front and solid rear window for about 1.5 years. Despite it being bagged as well, I was never pulled over for the tint!

I'll post a picture of mine later when I get home.

Liked
    0 times

Tint laws suck. In Chicago (Illinois for that matter), your not suppose to have any tint on the driver and passenger windows. I got pulled over for speeding one time and the cop never said anything about me have 35%, but I did get pulled over by another cop for having tinted windows. I took it off and took photos of the car without the tint to court. It showed that I was in compliance with the state law and got the ticket thrown out.

I now live in Atlanta, Ga where the law use to be any grade tint was allowed on the driver and passenger side, but now it's changed again. It's now up to 35% allowed, but I have the same as what's on the back windows (20% I think). I drive by police every day and haven't gotten pulled over for it yet.

If you can get an optomitrist note saying you need the tint for your eyes or something, then it's 100% legal (I hear).

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Spot View Post
    If you can get an optomitrist note saying you need the tint for your eyes or something, then it's 100% legal (I hear).
    tis true... I personally am very sensitive to light and I always have sunglasses on when I'm outside... I'm sure the tint laws are a little lenient with people that have sensitive eyes, but I doubt 5% limo tint is necessary to block sunlight. I had 20% all around and that was PLENTY dark.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.