Whats the best year of tacomas?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Whats the best year of tacomas?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Smile Whats the best year of tacomas?

Im looking to buy a used Tacoma, and need some advise. I'm not sure what the best year for Tacomas are and also what models are best? Also if anyone has some advise about price range too. i'm looking to spend about $15,000 and from what i've found so far i can get a 1999-2002 depending on miles and model. So any input would help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Whats the best year of tacomas?

I think you just have to be lucky to get a good taco. All year taco's must have had their problems. If you'r looking for the hard facts (statistics) I bet toyota must have em.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by X-runner View Post
    I think you just have to be lucky to get a good taco. All year taco's must have had their problems. If you'r looking for the hard facts (statistics) I bet toyota must have em.
    I've owned 3!

2003 Tacoma S-Runner (2wd 5spd v6 xcab)
    2002 Tacoma Standard Cab (2wd 5spd 4cyl)
    1998 Tacoma Standard Cab (2wd 5spd 4cyl)

Not one problem EVER. The 2003 had 60K when I sold it, and could still blow the doors of a mustang gt

The 2005-2006 have complaints from owners as you can read from their posts in this section.

The 3.4 V6 (5VZFE) has been said by many people that it is a bulletproof engine (if maintained correctly of course)

The 4 bangers are also very good and reliable. If you want something simple to get you around, go for the 4 cylinder ones. But if you want torque and more power, the V6 is the way to go.

Liked
    0 times

I think the best Taco is the newest one you can afford with "normal" miles for the year. Look at KBB.com or Edmunds and you will find what is considered "normal" for each year. Keep in mind that when you get past 100K, your chances of adopting someone elses problem child go up dramaticlly. It may last another 100K, or it may take a major dump next month! Lastly, make sure and get a carfax no matter what you buy- if it's used.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

If you're looking for a off-road beast, then I would get the older year toyota pick-ups when they still had the solid axle up front. I believe 84 was the last year toyota offered that. After that it was IFS. If you're looking for something newer, then I would go with the 01-04 tacos. There is good aftermarket support for lifts, exterior mods, performance, etc.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have had 6 small Toyota trucks going back my first, a used Hilux, that I bought in 1982. I sold a '99 Tacoma Xcab w/70k miles to get a 2006 Pre-Runner. I really wish I had kept the '99 Tacoma. From my experience and observation, Toyota is just making them cheaper, not better. New vehicle warranty doesn't do any good, when each visit to a dealer is a crap shoot.

I have purchased my last Toyota. The RAV4 I was thinking about buying to replace my wife's '04 Corolla, will be a CR-V---nice looking small CUV.

Liked
    0 times

They're all pretty darn good, when compared to any other small truck. 150,000 miles on my 97 4x4 4cyl and still drives like new, 20-24 mpg and enough power for me. One minor issue with the 95-97's was potential for broken rear springs (I had to replace a couple), for which I believe the design was changed after that. If you have a style preference, the 98-00's have less chrome in the front, then the 01-04's came out with the retro vertical bar grill design and a full chrome front bumper again and also the white face gauges. Probably the best truck for you is one that seems to have been maintained.