Turning key wont start, making clicking sound?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turning key wont start, making clicking sound?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Turning key wont start, making clicking sound?

Hello,
    Cant start my truck. I turn the key and I get a long series of clicking noises but the engine doesnt even turn over. I seem to have plenty of power, all the lights seem fine. I have noticed over the last few months occasionaly when I put the key in I have to wiggle it a bit to get the key to actually turn. Then it may be fine, but never had an actually problem trying to start it. Could this be the starter, solenoid, ignition or a combination of the three?

I appreciate any advice.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Turning key wont start, making clicking sound?

I know you said you think you have power, but it sounds like the battery to me.
    2006 Tacoma DC TRD Off-Road
    Mods \ Upgrades: Tinted windows, Window Guards, Blackout headlight Mod, Nerf Bars, Skid Plate, Ipod Interface, Custom Garage Door Opener, Bed Extender, Electric Tailgate Lock, Lorado Bed Cover, Colormatched Grille, TRD Intake, Clifford Matrix 3.5 Alarm.
    Coming soon: TRD Exhaust, Billet Grille Insert, Hood Shocks.

Liked
    176 times

Although your lights seem OK, I suspect a weak battery. The starter takes a lot more current than lights. Check voltage at the battery. Also dunno if these headlights stay on while starting the engine, but if so, try hitting the starter while the lights are on -- if the lights get very dim when the starter engages, it's almost certainly the battery.

Liked
    10 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by techmate View Post
    Hello,
    Cant start my truck. I turn the key and I get a long series of clicking noises but the engine doesnt even turn over. I seem to have plenty of power, all the lights seem fine. I have noticed over the last few months occasionaly when I put the key in I have to wiggle it a bit to get the key to actually turn. Then it may be fine, but never had an actually problem trying to start it. Could this be the starter, solenoid, ignition or a combination of the three?

I appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    Have your battery load tested and clean your battery terminals and cable clamps first.

Larry

PS: The starter pulls a much higher amp load than your lighting and will point out a problem long before any other electrical load.
    Last edited by LGL002; 12-07-2006 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Added a post script
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Yes, I think you guys are correct. I jumped it right now and it started up fine. Its a 2001 and the original battery. Its probably dead (RIP, youve been a good battery )
    Ill just swing over to the parts store and pick up another battery and see how it goes. I left it running for awhile and hope its enough power in it to start it one more time when the stores open up here so I can pick up a battery.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Starter contacts...super common on the previous gen Tacoma's/4runners.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I put the new battery in. So far it starts up just fine. Thanks for the help in here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.