Stuck in 4 Wheel drive

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Stuck in 4 Wheel drive

Liked
    0 times

Post Stuck in 4 Wheel drive

Ok the other day I was on my way to work and we had some snow. So I put it 4 wheel and its working fine then I get to some wet roads and I turn it off. Well it stayed in 4 wheel even when it was in 2 wheel mode . I tried stoping and backing up and putting it in'N' and it would not come out . The light was still on and it was in 4 wheel. So when I got to work I turned off the truck then I turned it back on with the knob in the 2 wheel position . Then I heard two loud bangs then it was back in 2 wheel. Then I took it to the dealer and they checked it out and sure enough it worked fine for them. Also when I try to put it in 4 wheel the light just keeps blinking and it takes a few times to get it in. Has this ever happened to any of you guys or is this just my luck????

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Stuck in 4 Wheel drive

Manual or Automatic trans?
    You gotta be tough to fly the heavies!

Liked
    0 times

Its a automatic.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

I've used mine quite a bit in the winters up in MT and never anything of the sort. It does take a little bit sometimes to engage if your not going down the road at any speed (I often engage at 50mph or so on the highways) and it engages quickly, but if your just putting around it can take a few seconds.

No banging however, so I'd keep an "ear" on it. Also, keep up with going to the dealer so you have a paper trail for any problems down the road!

Liked
    0 times

ok thanks for the info. They told me maybe I dont use it enough thats why it has problems.

Liked
    0 times

I wouldn't call it a problem persay. But I would agree that if you don't use it very much then the automatic hubs haven't had a chance to wear in. I try and to the 10 mile per month thing with mine just to keep things lubricated as the manual says and ever since I started doing that the "bang" that you're hearing hasn't been as pronounced. The bang is from the binding in the front hubs when they're releasing. First time it happened to me was up in the snow and I thought something broke. Now I don't hear the bang and it's more of a click/pop.
    ----------------
    Tacoma V6 Auto 4x4 Double Cab 128"
    White
    TRD Off-Road

TRD CAT Back Exhaust, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Mats, Wildcat Flash Nerf Bars, Prodigy Brake Controller, In Dash cell phone mount, Cargo Bars w/Thule Ski & Bike Attachments, Toyo Open Country A/T Tires (Stock Size)

26' Travel Trailer GVWR 6000# with 800# WD hitch.

Liked
    20 times
    Images

Mine sometimes clunks a little bit when it comes out of 4WD - sounds like something is still under a load when it disengages - kind of like pulling a manual tranny out of gear without the clutch and not having the speeds just right. Mine is an automatic too.

Liked
    0 times

Mine makes a popping sound too sometimes, such as coming up from behind my folks house and I have to go over a bank when both of their cars are in the driveway. I always put it into 4x4 to avoid ripping up the grass. Occasionally its a little louder than others but I think its because a lot of pressure is on the drivetrain. I have yet to hear it pop at anything faster than a slow crawl.
    Roger
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD DC Off-Road
    Shrockworks Front Bumper, K&N Intake/AEM Filter, XM Satellite, Retrax Tonneau Cover and Yakima track rack system, OEM roof rack

Liked
    0 times

I was having the same problem with my tundra, it ended up that it would blink 4hi no matter what I did and the 4wd would not engauge. I took it to toyota and the 4wd actuator in the transfer case was bad, they gave me an estimate of 2,500, that is why I now have a 06 Tacoma. $wd is really needed in Colorado durring the winter!

Liked
    0 times

My '06 5-speed Tacoma 4x4 has the same problem going from 4Lo to 4Hi. It takes me forever to get it out of 4Lo. I took this problem to the dealer, but (as always) it worked fine for them. I've seen other posts on this that describe the need to mess with the configuration a bit (switching, rolling, etc). I think that this is ridiculous, but what are you going to do..?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Cool Re: Stuck in 4 Wheel drive

Hi,
    I just had it stick in 4wd on me today actually. I tried a number of things: switching to neutral, 4wd on/off/on/of..., leaving it in 2wd for a couple miles and Nothing!
    Finally I put it in 4Lo and then brought it back to 4wd and then 2wd and it worked.

Kinda makes me think it is getting stuck from lack of usage, but I have been using it quite a bit the last 2 months - maybe like 100+ miles over that time.

...keepin' an eye on it.

Liked
    0 times

Well I used mine again today and it seems to be working ok for now. We gat some snow today so on my way home from work I gave it a work out. On the way home I would put it in and out of 4wd and it seems to be working ok now. I just dont get it this is crazy crap to be going through with a new Tacoma.