Lock for center console or glove box???

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Lock for center console or glove box???

Liked
    0 times

Default Lock for center console or glove box???

Has anyone added a lock to the center console or to the glove box?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Lock for center console or glove box???

Last edited by sntckr; 03-13-2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: I should have added...they're getting ready to start shipment on the 2005+ Tacoma model anytime...it's not on the website yet, but you can contact them from it for details

Liked
    0 times

I would install a lock box of some type, somewhere. When I had a soft top Jeep, I had a lockbox and kept nothing of value in the console or glovebox, nor did I lock the doors. Of course this was to lessen the chances of top being cut to gain access. Most people (soft top owners) when traveling and parking in urban areas would even leave the glovebox and console doors wide open when parked to let the lowlifes see there was nothing inside. The few that did lock console just got the top lid of the console ripped open, destroying the lid or the whole assembly. Same goes for the glovebox door. Of course with a Tacoma/Tundra the perp first has to gain entry, so IF they get in the damage can just be lumped in with the other damage of door/window for the ins co to handle.

Tuffy products makes some good custom fit as well as universal fit items that would stop a quick smash & grab, but of course if you park out in the middle of nowhere where time and noise is not the perps concern most any lockbox can be compromised. For firearms and small documents, several gun magazines have ads for keyless, touch pad type, sliding drawer type lock boxes that are pricey, but you get your money's worth.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by L R H View Post
    Of course with a Tacoma/Tundra the perp first has to gain entry, so IF they get in the damage can just be lumped in with the other damage of door/window for the ins co to handle.
    That's pretty much where I'm at...no handgun in my console and important docs go with me. More value in the rest of my interior than the console.

Liked
    0 times

I think a more secure lockbox is a good idea even if you don't carry, or just don't leave behind a firearm or important docs, since most break ins are fast smash and grabs. Just do a good install, with antirust protection on holes, and use grade 8 bolts with crimp interference style locknuts and figure the install to be permanent and pass along to buyer at selling time Of course if a pro needs your truck and has a flatbed hauler you are still out of luck. I sold a motorcycle a while back and was running late to meet the buying party with title, so I grabbed the entire manilla envelope with titles to 7 different vehicles. To keep it out of site i put it under the floormat on pass side and proceeded to forget about it. When I found it several months later I 'bout suffered a stroke. A sliding drawer lockbox would have been good in such a case if someone had decided to ramble around through the truck.