Sequoia Alignment & DJ's Specs

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sequoia Alignment & DJ's Specs

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question Sequoia Alignment & DJ's Specs

OK, I admit it, I'm utterly confused about alignments in general.

What do I ask the alignment shop to do with regards to aligning my Sequoia? Am I supposed to be getting a two-wheel or four-wheel alignment? Do DJ's specs apply to the front, the back or all four wheels?

Tomorrow, after a measley 18,000 miles, my miserable, OEM Dueler H/T's will become history!! I'm thrilled by the prospect of getting the new Dueler A/T Revo's put on! (Too bad we don't have any more snow here in MN, it would be so nice to actually have traction!) Obviously, I want to 'do it right' this time around so I'm planning to do an alignment at the same time and need this info ASAP! (Thanks in advance!)

Lastly, if I understand correctly, TSB BR001-02 (Scantool - Zero Point Calibration/Sensor Check) appears to imply that I should get a 'VSC RELATED ZERO POINT CALIBRATION AND SENSOR CHECK' done after aligning the Sequoia to DJ's specs. It states:

-
    Zero point calibration of the above sensors must also be performed when replacing or repairing steering related parts and when changing the vehicle's straight ahead condition for toe adjustment.

Has anybody else done this? Or, am I misunderstanding that statement? My dealership didn't have a clue when I asked them about it....

Pardon my ignorance! (And my urgency!)

Thanks again!

-Brian-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    467 times

Get a "thrust line alignment". There is nothing to "align" with the rear wheels. Sensors will be mounted to the rear wheels so the front wheels can be referenced to the net "pointing direction" (known as the "thrust line") of the rear wheels.

My specs are for the front wheels. My Sequoia (4WD SR5) is aligned to:

camber: +0.25 degrees
    caster: +2.75 degrees
    total toe: +0.08 degrees

Liked
    0 times

DJ -

I see your alignment specs referenced and praised often on TS. Can you give a simple explanation why these specs are better than the factory's.

- thanks

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    467 times

Originally posted by kornkid
    DJ -

I see your alignment specs referenced and praised often on TS. Can you give a simple explanation why these specs are better than the factory's.

- thanks
    Nope, but I can give you a really long-winded one.

Seriously, the problem with Toyota's specs is the recommended caster setting is way to low. For example, on my Tundra, the recommended spec is 1.27 degrees +/- 0.75 degrees. This means it could be "in spec" if caster is between 0.52 degrees and 2.02 degrees. At 2.00 degrees, it is stable, vibration free, and a pleasure to drive. At 0.50 degrees, it is unstable, it vibrates, and it is quite dangerous to drive. So, my recommendation is to set caster to the very upper limit of the range specified by Toyota.

Try it -- you'll like it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Any comment about the TSB?

DJ,

Thanks a ton for the info! Of course, I am still wondering about the TSB that I mentioned in my original note. Do you think that I need to get the Zero Point Calibration done following an alignment to your specs?

Looking forward to hearing your opinion....

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the info.

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    467 times

Default Re: Any comment about the TSB?

Originally posted by bmahan
    DJ,

Thanks a ton for the info! Of course, I am still wondering about the TSB that I mentioned in my original note. Do you think that I need to get the Zero Point Calibration done following an alignment to your specs?

Looking forward to hearing your opinion....
    Beats me -- I don't know what a "zero point calibration" is.

That being said, I would not expect any problems with the "anti" systems. When you are finished with the alignment, the front wheels will point the correct directions when the steering wheel is centered. You won't be adjusting the steering wheel, steering shaft, or the steering rack, so you won't be changing any calibration of the anti-lock brake or anit-skid control systems.

I've aligned mine, and these systems work great. This is one fine vehicle in snow, ice, rain, mud, and gravel.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default You're not alone

DJ, you're not the only one that doesn't know what a 'zero-point calibration' is.... I asked the service advisors & managers at two different Toyota dealerships and they didn't know either!

Appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge!

Liked
    1 times

I just recently had the ECU/VSC computer replaced on my '01 SR5, and the dealer told me the zero point calibration had to do with setting the computer to my vehicle so it could detect when it needed to kick in. Is it possible that doing an alignment could change the posture of the vehicle enough to require a re-calibration? I wouldn't think it would be THAT sensitive to changes, but what do I know? (Could you email me a copy of the TSB?)

Liked
    0 times

I got sick and tired of my Sequoia excessively following the crown in the road. Every time I would let go of the wheel it would immediately take off. I was always battling to keep it straight.

Today, I needed an inspection sticker and an oil change so I gave the tech DJ's specs and told him to do it. When I picked it up he said, "The truck wasn't out of alignment but we adjusted it to the specs you gave us, it's not much different from stock so I'm not sure it will feel much different".

Well, it is different. It feels much more stable and now it prefers to stay straight! Much better, thanks DJ!

Liked
    0 times

I went to the additional caster a while ago (after arguing with the alignment tech), and it's probably the best thing I've done to my beloved truck!
    2001 Black SR5 - Kept it 10 Years! Badges Removed, Tinted Windows, 10-disk Changer, SSA Headers, K&N Drop-In, Modified Airbox, Synthetic Fluids, Husky Cargo Liner, Blacked out flares and bumpers, AutoPaintGuard Bra.

2011 Black SR5 - The Successor. Sport Package, Pioneer Avic Z120BT w/Backup Cam, Tinted Windows, Debadged, AutoPaintGuard Bra.

Liked
    2 times

Default Zero point calibration

I have the procedure for the zero point calibration for a 2001 seq.

After changing brake components, alignment, etc, it is a good idea to do it.

Usual warnings apply. Do this at your own risk and remember you are messing with VSC home position. The procedure is trivial though.

0. Vehicle off, wheels dead straight.
    1. On OBDII port, short Ts and CG pins. Follow picture
    __##__ tab side ****If this is confusing DO NOT attempt!
    /xxOxxxxx\ 3rd socket
    / xxxOxxxx \ 4th socket

you can use a wire or paper clip

2. Turn vehicle ON. Wait to count of 5. ABS and TRAC OFF will be flashing fast.

3. Turn steering wheel more than 5 deg either direction. Turn wheels back dead straight. Dry steer is hard!!

4. Quickly press TRAC OFF button 3 times.

5. Solid beeper sound for 3 seconds means successful, otherwise try again from vehicle off.

Good Luck.

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    467 times

Quote Originally Posted by mcmatt
    I have the procedure for the zero point calibration for a 2001 seq.

After changing brake components, alignment, etc, it is a good idea to do it.

Usual warnings apply. Do this at your own risk and remember you are messing with VSC home position. The procedure is trivial though.

0. Vehicle off, wheels dead straight.
    1. On OBDII port, short Ts and CG pins. Follow picture
    __##__ tab side ****If this is confusing DO NOT attempt!
    /xxOxxxxx\ 3rd socket
    / xxxOxxxx \ 4th socket

you can use a wire or paper clip

2. Turn vehicle ON. Wait to count of 5. ABS and TRAC OFF will be flashing fast.

3. Turn steering wheel more than 5 deg either direction. Turn wheels back dead straight. Dry steer is hard!!

4. Quickly press TRAC OFF button 3 times.

5. Solid beeper sound for 3 seconds means successful, otherwise try again from vehicle off.

Good Luck.
    This is great, but my '01 4WD SR5 Sequoia doesn't have a "TRAC OFF" button. It has a "VCS OFF" button -- is that what you mean?

Liked
    2 times

Default Trac Off (vsc Off)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    This is great, but my '01 4WD SR5 Sequoia doesn't have a "TRAC OFF" button. It has a "VCS OFF" button -- is that what you mean?
    Yes, the book says "...VSC OFF (TRAC OFF)". So they must be different.

Hope it works for you.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    Get a "thrust line alignment". There is nothing to "align" with the rear wheels. Sensors will be mounted to the rear wheels so the front wheels can be referenced to the net "pointing direction" (known as the "thrust line") of the rear wheels.

My specs are for the front wheels. My Sequoia (4WD SR5) is aligned to:

camber: +0.25 degrees
    caster: +2.75 degrees
    total toe: +0.08 degrees
    How different are these specs from "stock"? Just curious... In the market for new tires and thought I'd kill two birds...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.