Max tire size on stock Tundra??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Max tire size on stock Tundra??

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Max tire size on stock Tundra??

I am wondering what the max tire size is for a stock Tundra?

My 265/70/16 BFG's are in need of replacement and I would like to go to a bigger tire. Will 265/75/16's fit without rubbing?

I was looking at the Toyo Open Country...

Any comments? Recommendations on a good tire?

Thanks,

Matt
    Ottawa, ON
    2000 V8 Tundra Access Cab

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

ab
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

I ran Mich 265/75R16 Cross Terrains on stock alum. rims lots of room, slightly less power. They were too noisey but handled great. Have stock tires back on now but am thinking of Bridgestone Dueler H/P 285/70R16 on the stock rim. Has anyone tried this size?

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    626 times
    Images

hey matt, check out one of the very first posts on the offroad thread, there's some info in there on stock tire sizes and fitment...i add to it whenever i see something new...

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    0 times

I run 265/75/16's now, and I tired the 285's, they rub like mad at full lock. However, I am adding a lift to it soon, and will be purchasing the 285's this time for sure.

-=A=-

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm running BFG's AT 265/75/16's on the stock rims on my 2000 Tundra. I had a little rubbing on the left lower fender plastic, but only because a deer had bent it a little last year. I trimmed it a little and then actually pulled the fender back where it belonged. Since then, no rub at all even in rough going off-road. I love the BFG AT's, great on road and off road. Good luck on whatever you go with.

Mark ...

Quote Originally Posted by mstever

My 265/70/16 BFG's are in need of replacement and I would like to go to a bigger tire. Will 265/75/16's fit without rubbing?

Thanks,

Matt
    Ottawa, ON
    [FONT=Courier New]

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks,

Matt
    Ottawa, ON
    Matt,
    I am need of tires also. My Tundra has 295/65SR16 Goodyear Eagle GTII installed when I bought the truck used. Truck has custom chrome rims 16x9. Rides somewhat rough with these wide tires. Have no problem with rubbing, the goodyears are 31.1" diameter when new. Truck looks great however with this wide footprint. Tirerack.com has them special for $101us each. Am thinking of replacing with Michelin cross Terrain SUV in either 275/70SR16 (31.2" diameter), or 265/70SR16 (30.6" diameter). Looking for better ride and wet handling. Tire rack has for $151us or $145us. My rims are not stock 16x8 so I dont want to get too narrow.
    Gene
    Atlanta, GA

Liked
    0 times

The absolute max I would go on stock rims and no lift is 265/75/16. I had these before my lift and the pass. side rubbed ever so slightly on the mudflap. After 1" lift, no rubbing. The 265's are wide, you can barely fit a finger between the tire and the upper control arm, so go no wider with the 75 aspect ratio. The above tire size fills the wheel wells quite nicely btw.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up BFG A/T KO 265/75/16 Installed & AOK

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your help with the tire issue. I installed a set of BFG A/T KO 265/75/16's on my truck yesterday. They look awesome. They fit nice and so far I have noticed no rubbing. Even though they recommend 50 PSI in the tires the ride is still smooth and the handling very good. Some extra noise compared to my previous BFG Rugged Trails but it's worth it.

I can't wait for the snow...

Matt

Liked
    0 times

I installed a set of BFG A/T KO 265/75/16's on my truck yesterday. ... Even though they recommend 50 PSI in the tires the ride is still smooth and the handling very good.
    You're don't actualy have them at 50 psi, do you? That seems like an insane pressure for our trucks. Sure that's not the max pressure for that tire?

Liked
    41 times
    Images

50psi is the max rating for the ko's. If you're currently at that you might want to lower it down to 33-35psi.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

i instaled a dueler revo in a 265 75 16 in the stock rims. and i get rubbing on the mud flaps, and minor rubbing on the frame at full turn. so i took the mud flaps off, nad now at least its not making a lot of noise. u cant tell so much thats its rubbing on the frame, b.c its barley rubbing. i think this is due to the fact that i just have the regular 4x2, and not the trd. so iam just a bit lower. but iam gettin the wheelers coil overs soon so should take care of it.
    matt

LinkBacks (?)