Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Toyota Bed Mat

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  supraxx 
#1 ·
I got a Toyota bed mat coming from the dealer. Saw one installed in another Taco, and it looks like it fits pretty decently. That rubber stinks like hell right out of the wrapper. :eek: Hope that stink goes away with time, or the garage is gonna stink! :p

Anyway, was wondering if anyone here just leaves the bed mat in all the time, and if so is there any detrimental outcomes from doing so? I was thinking maybe the main bed bolts might get rubbed and their anti-corrosive coating taken off which might cause them to rust if water got under the mat and didn't dry out much.

What's your experience with using the bed mat?

#3 ·
The only time my bed mat moves is when the dryer air at my touchless car wash (I don't use it too often) hits the bed. I don't see any reason to not just leave it in there all of the time.

#4 ·
I have left my mat in since day one. (2 Dec 04) It has had snow, ice rain, wind. Driven fast, car washes, loaded things. It doesn't move. I have pulled it out twice and cleaned the bed out under it and have not noticed any problems with bolts, etc.
The thing I love about it is:
It doesn't move.
Then thing I hate about it is:
It doesn't move.
If you want to slide something heavy into the bed, it ain't gonna slide. I loaded a six foot long box that was three foot high by three foot wide. It weighed about 300 lbs. THAT was a chore to get in with the mat in there. The mat actually started bunching up under it when I tried to slide the box. I had to get into the bed, lift and bump, lift and bump to get it in. Once it was in though, I could have left the tailgate down and it would NOT have come out!!!
Bottom line on the mat, I love it, would not trade it for anything, and will leave it in all the time.
BTW, the smell will go away.... :D

#8 ·
My bed mat came with the truck. The stink goes away, but on a real hotday when it's just sitting there baking in the sun you will smell it, and if you open the slider the smell comes straight in. But overall it's great. I just take it out when loading the truck with dirt, gravel, etc.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.