BF Goodrich AT KO vs. Bridgestone Revos

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: BF Goodrich AT KO vs. Bridgestone Revos

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Question BF Goodrich AT KO vs. Bridgestone Revos

OK Goodrich AT and Bridgestone Revo owners. Start your engines. Which is the better tire and why? The BFG AT KO or the Bridgestone Revo ? I have a 2000 TRD Access Cab 4x4 that I'm finally replacing the Rugged Trails on. I'm using the OEM aluminum rims with 265-70R-16s. My needs are mixed. I do a lot of 75 mph driving on CA/AZ freeways (sometimes at 110-120+ degrees). But I also need a tire that's decent in the rain (better than the BFG Rugged Trails anyway); good for towing 3000-5000 lb. boats on the road and up slimy ramps; and decent in 3-6 inchs of snow, loose dirt, sandy washes and washboard fire roads. What's your opinion?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    41 times
    Images

My opinion.

The revo's would be better suited to your plans.
    But the ko's look better IMO.

Ko's dig dirt better for more go.
    Revo's have better wet traction.
    Ko's have a wider footprint, a plus.
    Revo's corner better.
    Ko's have more tread depth.
    Revo's are quieter.

They both will be fine.

Liked
    0 times

You'll get a better ride out of the Revos but you'll get better mileage out of the BF Goodies. As far as wet traction goes, they are pretty equal because of the multitude of sipes that they have. I personally think the Revos are a little better on wet surfaces because of the Dual Layer Tread that increases tire contact as it wears. I've been happy with my Revos for 30K miles of 75-90mph interstate mostly with occasional off road adventures. But, they are ready to be replaced.
    Sold - 02 Tundra V8 TRD I.S.
    Flowmaster, K&N, Etc.

Now beating myself up over my 05 GMC Z71

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Dogster
    OK Goodrich AT and Bridgestone Revo owners. Start your engines. Which is the better tire and why? The BFG AT KO or the Bridgestone Revo ? I have a 2000 TRD Access Cab 4x4 that I'm finally replacing the Rugged Trails on. I'm using the OEM aluminum rims with 265-70R-16s. My needs are mixed. I do a lot of 75 mph driving on CA/AZ freeways (sometimes at 110-120+ degrees). But I also need a tire that's decent in the rain (better than the BFG Rugged Trails anyway); good for towing 3000-5000 lb. boats on the road and up slimy ramps; and decent in 3-6 inchs of snow, loose dirt, sandy washes and washboard fire roads. What's your opinion?
    I'm a little biased as I just sprung for a set of Revos after comparing everything out there that's new and being pretty familiar with tires anyway. I'm really pretty particular and dig into details. The Revos will unquestionably be a better riding tire, quieter tire than the BFG KO. I chose them because they'll give the best all around traction offroad and onroad of any tire while still being pretty quiet (and definitely smooth riding).

The Revos will outdo the BFG in everything but two areas. The only thing the KO is going to be an advantage over the Revo is when you hit the washboard fire roads and [maybe] when you hit mud. Oh, three areas - tire longetivity too. For the most part I think you'd be much happier with the Revos but I don't think they'll last as long as the BFG AT KOs. I'll be able to tell you for sure in 50,000 miles.

If you *really* hit the washboard fire roads a lot (and drive fast) then you really don't have a choice. Get the BFGs ATs. Those roads are going to really beat your belts. Then you'll get a tread separation when you whip across the desert. You really can't look any further. Buy the "tanks". They're somewhat quiet (not all season quiet, but as far as AT tires go) but they will definitely be stiffer riding.

Actually, considering the fact that you're going to be running in the desert a lot I'd seriously consider another tire. Those hot roads for long distances are going to really eat up your tires unless you really pump them up (which makes them awfully stiff but at least you get better gas mileage). Even then the rubber is going to get soft and not last as long as otherwise.

I used to live down there and you're really looking for a great summer tire but decent highway performance during the rainy winters with some offroad mixed in. Unless you're offroad during the winter, you're not going to really hit mud down there - ever. Even is you ski, you don't see that much snow up in Big Bear or along interstate 40 in Arizona. I have been in pretty icy storms sometimes on 40, but they are rarer. It's nothing like up here though.

I'd also look at the LTX M&S. Both the Revo and the AT KO will get awful hot running that fast - especially in that kind of heat. The Revo would be a great tire for you but I don't know how long it's' going to last when you get the rubber that hot. I highly doubt that you're going to get their rated 50,000 miles.

Since mud isn't a concern of yours - or at least you'll only have to worry about it 6 months out of the year since you barely get a drop the other 6 months I don't think you'll need a lot of mud traction. That's why you'd only need the BFG KO for the washboard roads or maybe for longer life if you still insist on getting an AT tire. The good news is that if you do go with an AT it won't be very long before you get another chance to pick something else if you're not happy.

You know though, if you go to the 75 series tires you'll get more tread which will convert to longer tire life too. But that heat it definitely going to soften up the rubber and it's kind of like running snow tires in warmer weather. They just don't last that long. Be darn sure you have your alignment checked too (get the lifetime if you can so you can check every year) as that will gobble up tires in heat like they were Gummy Bears if your toe-in is incorrect. Much more so than if your tires are run in the cooler weather. By the time you realize it you've already lost a lot of the tire.

I run over hot Sacramento roads and I still went with the Revos, but you're running over roads that are quite a bit hotter (in the shade even... LOL). The one thing you might give up with them is tread life (but you'll love the ride). A more highway oriented tread with "decent" offroad like the LTX M&S would last a LOT longer.

Alan

Liked
    0 times

I've only had my BFG TA KOs on for two weeks and the little rubber tits on the tread are still there.
    I mounted and balanced them myself and was impressed with how little weight it took to bring them in. They ride very smooth and are a little noisier than the OEM Dunlops. That's where the volume control on the radio works well.
    I don't know anything about the Bridgestone Revcos but I do have some pics of tires that I put together for comparison.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comparsion Chart.JPG 
Views:	2467 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	1784  

Liked
    0 times

Just mounted up 265/75/16 REVOS C lt truck on stock rims.

Looks are subjective, but in all other aspects I think the REVOS are better. I've never had hte BFG AT on the tundra, but I have had them on my 98F150. They threw gobs of mud, but couldn't get any traction in water. I actuallly had one intersection where I put it in 4wd to make sure I didn't get smacked. They also wore out very fast ~25-30k as compared to the REVOS 50k warranty.

HAven't had the REVO'S long enoguh to compare everything, but for my money the longevity and increased wet traction sold me on the REVO's.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I just bought the P265/75/16 REVO's about a month ago and have about 1k mi. on them. They replaced the BFG Rugged Trails that were OEM tires. As you know the Rugged Trails have no traction on dry or wet pavement.They were quiet, though and provided a comfortable ride.
    My Tundra is 2WD and my driving is pretty agressive in city. My freeway and hwy driving averages 70-90MPH. My needs were for a tire that: 1. Had excellent traction on both dry and wet pavement. We've had some rain since I bought the REVO's and can say that I am extremely happy that these tires do not have me slipping and sliding like the Rugged Trails used to do. The wet traction is excellent and hydroplaning has been practically nonexistent driving at high speeds through large puddles of water. 2. Handling. I love being able to take the freeway cloverleafs at higher speeds with the REVO's than I could with the Rugged Trails. These tires really plant themselves on the road during aggressive driving.
    I guess what convinced me to go with the REVO's was all the rave reviews that I read over at TireRack from actual users. If you haven't checked it out yet, go to this link to see survey results and owner opinions.
    BTW, I got mine cheaper at Firestone than Costco.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ler+A%2FT+Revo

fly
    Liked
    0 times

Glad to see you are enjoying your Revos, EZ2BME !
    Everytime it rains real hard or I have to go in the mud I get a big on my face!

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I have 2k on my revo's 265/70/16. have not been off road yet. the ride is good but they are really great on wet roads, which is why I went with them. the rugged trails were good but no grip on wet roads.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fly
    Glad to see you are enjoying your Revos, EZ2BME !
    Everytime it rains real hard or I have to go in the mud I get a big on my face!
    ...YEP!!!....thanks again for the info you gave me during the summer when I was doing my research on tires. BTW....me too!!....I love driving through all that water with the confidence of knowing I'm not gonna slide out of control!!