AHHH!!! "locking" lug nuts

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: AHHH!!! "locking" lug nuts

Here for the long haul... warrior's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Default AHHH!!! "locking" lug nuts

Ok, so I bought the truck used (lease vehicle) and I was going to go install some front end spacers to bring the truck up level. I have the 1 different lug nut out of the 6 that are on each wheel. This is the kind that looks like a little star. I though that it was a factory deal but when I pulled out the acceriories to jack it up, there is nothing there to take the "locking" nut off . Guess I need to go buy an adapter or what? This is the first vehicle I have owned that has one of these so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Those are locking lugs and they come with a key for them that fits perfectly on it and just any key won't work, you might want to look really hard to find it because i'm pretty sure you won't beable to get another one. You can do one of three things. You can do my dad's old trick of finding a socket that just barely won't go over it and hamer it on and take it off with a rachet. You could get a pair of vice grips and hope they didn't put them very tight, this usually works. Last you could take it to a tire shop and they'll take them off for like $5 a piece or something. They may even give you a free replacement lug but if you want it to look nice i would go get a set of new locking lugs and make sure you don't lose the key. It's especially not cool on the freeway.
    I know enough to be very dangerous to myself and others.
    www.craigberry.net

Liked
    0 times

did you buy it from a dealership? If so just bring it there and tell them to get them off and give you a new set.
    I know enough to be very dangerous to myself and others.
    www.craigberry.net

Here for the long haul... warrior's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Default Factory install?

Thanks for the tips/suggestions. So are these factory installed or an aftermarket? Do all Tundras (or newer Toyotas) come with these on them?

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    626 times
    Images

theyre an aftermarket option or dealer option, toyota makes locking lug nuts specific for the stock alloy wheels, very good quality. 20 bucks or so, i think, for a set.

-s

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC