Speedometer Calibration

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer Calibration

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Speedometer Calibration

I Just Installed 285-75 16 Tires On My 05 Tundra And Haven't Been Able To Get Any Information From My Local Dealer On How To Recalibrate The Speedometer Any Info Would Be Appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

just ingore it...it's far easier to live with that way.
    i figure even if it's 5 mph off what difference does it make...just remember you're going five mph faster.

Dakota Digital Products (SP?)...I believe makes one. Aside from them, you would probably have to regear. just leave it be.

Liked
    0 times

I know that performance products sells a tool that will recalibrate your spedo for larger tires and etc, I just have not heard anybody that has actually used it. I myself am very interested in calibrating the spedo so I can be on top of gas mileage and the actual speed I am traveling. These figures are very important and it is surprising that most people simply "ignore" this issue, as one of our fellow members put it prior to my post. If anyone actually buys one of those tools, I will pitch in so the cost can be spread evenly. Any other information will be appreciated.

-narbeh

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Superlift makes a speedo calibrator. I'm not sure what it works on but it says most domestic and import vehicles. I can't get a direct link to the calibrator but click on this link Superlift. Then click on products and go to truspeed calibrator. If I remember it's pretty pricey around $200 I think.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by kj454
    Superlift makes a speedo calibrator. I'm not sure what it works on but it says most domestic and import vehicles. I can't get a direct link to the calibrator but click on this link Superlift. Then click on products and go to truspeed calibrator. If I remember it's pretty pricey around $200 I think.
    [Direct Link]
    <About to post a question? Try Searching the forums first!>

Liked
    0 times

Default Superlift recalibrator may not work on an '05

Quote Originally Posted by kj454
    I have a Superlift TruSpeed for my '03 though haven't yet installed it. With my assistance with wiring issues, member JoshuaAxelrod installed one on an '03 with good results. Prior Moderator (current member) Mustang67408 installed one with good results on his '02. There may be other members who installed one on earlier models.

Yes, they're kinda pricey...I paid $181.

The problem is the wiring diagram shipped with the unit is for '02s and earlier. In '03, Toyota changed the wiring color to the speed sensor on the transmission but still used the same sensor/ECU wiring. However, starting with '04s, it appears from the wiring diagrams in the club garage that Toyota made major changes to the speed sensor system due to the introduction of Vehicle Stability Control...there is now a separate VSC computer that provides speed inputs to the ECU and speedometer. It may be possible to make this unit work on an '05 but you will be totally on your own trying to figure out how...and don't expect much help from the folks at Superlift.
    Ray

Natural White '03 Access Cab V8 SR5 4X4 with TRD Off Road Suspension, Limited Slip Differential, and Towing Package

Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Hellwig Anti-Roll bar, Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller, Autometer Z-Series Transmission Temperature Gauge, Magnefine Transmission Filter
    Utility & Misc Mods: Genuine Toyota OEM Step (Nerf) bars, Peragon Tonneau Cover, TracRac Rack and Rail System, Muth Signal Mirrors, Pop&Lock tailgate lock, TruSpeed speedometer calibrator, "$20" RS-3200 Upgrade, Auto-Dimming mirror w/ Temp and Compass, Clear/Red/Clear Taillights with Silverstar Signal bulbs, 3M Clear Bra

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Use the Dakota Digital device. That's what I used. It is much cheaper than the superlift device and does the exact same thing.
    2003 Double Cab Tacoma
    My Truck & Stuff

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Here's the link to the dakota digital calibrator The dakota digital is $79.95, which is WAY cheaper! It says not for use with anti-lock brake systems. So this sound like it only corrects the speedometer and nothing else, so things like shift points, abs system, etc. will still be not be calibrated for the new tires.

The Superlift claims it corrects all problems associated with larger tires.

When I had a Chevy pickup I used the Hypertech to recalibrate the speedometer for larger tires. But hypertech doesn't make a programmer for Toyota's.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

The dakota digital does the exact same thing as the superlift tool. They say don't attach it to a vehicle using ABS, but that's only for one of the output modes it offers. It has different output modes depending on what vehicle and speedo that vehicle uses. It is a bit confusing and it took me a while to figure it all out but different output modes on the dakota send different signal pulses to the speed sensor. If you put the wires on the wrong output it may screw up the ABS. I have been running it for months now and haven't had any problems at all. You wouldn't even know its there.

I checked the install instructions for the superlift kit and all the wires connect to the exact same spots as the Dakota Digital do. The superlift kit is a "kit" and includes wires, taps, fuses, etc. The dakota you have to provide that stuff yourself.
    2003 Double Cab Tacoma
    My Truck & Stuff

Liked
    0 times

The Superlift device may not even work.
    4Wheel parts won't even sell them or install them anymore.
    If you live near a big city check the phone book for professional calibration shops in the area....but the Superlift "truspeed" requires you to tap into your computer and do all kinds of things an amature should never do to their truck.
    Regear or take it to a professional shop (this maycost $200)....oooor just live with it. Factory speedos are sometimes off 2-3% anyway.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by UsE_To_RoCk
    The Superlift device may not even work.
    4Wheel parts won't even sell them or install them anymore.
    If you live near a big city check the phone book for professional calibration shops in the area....but the Superlift "truspeed" requires you to tap into your computer and do all kinds of things an amature should never do to their truck.
    Regear or take it to a professional shop (this maycost $200)....oooor just live with it. Factory speedos are sometimes off 2-3% anyway.
    No one will be able to correct it. The only way you can correct it is with some sort of electronic device like the dakota or superlift product. There aren't any speedo gears like there used to be that you can just change out. Also, re-gearing will only throw it off more. When I re-geared mine, it was off almost 9 mph.

If the device doesn't work, just remove it and splice and solder the wires back together and everything will go back to the stock specs.
    2003 Double Cab Tacoma
    My Truck & Stuff

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by 03TRDBlack
    No one will be able to correct it. The only way you can correct it is with some sort of electronic device like the dakota or superlift product. There aren't any speedo gears like there used to be that you can just change out. Also, re-gearing will only throw it off more. When I re-geared mine, it was off almost 9 mph.

If the device doesn't work, just remove it and splice and solder the wires back together and everything will go back to the stock specs.
    Obviously, when you take it to the calibration shop they will use an electronic device to correct the speedo....At the shop I got my truck lifted at they were doing a lift on a Dodge around the same time I was there. The lift was 14" and they put 39" tires on it. They sent it to a shop that deals only with speedometer calibration and other stuff in that matter. The truck is spot-on accurate and we checked it with two different GPS units.
    I just don't think any products on the market avaliable to general consumers are capable of doing the job they claim...unless the work is done by a professional who's had experience calibrating speedometers in the past.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I just don't think any products on the market avaliable to general consumers are capable of doing the job they claim...unless the work is done by a professional who's had experience calibrating speedometers in the past.
    Um yeah, except that the Dakota Digital product DID fix my speedo back to where it needed to be and I'm not a professional calibrater. I used a GPS to confirm that my speedo is spot on and have further confirmed this with those roadside radar speed checks.

The only thing it claims to do is to calibrate your speedo. It makes no mention of shift points or anything else. Go over to www.tacomaterritory.com and ask those guys and you will find some more Dakota Digital users that are very satisfied with their product.
    2003 Double Cab Tacoma
    My Truck & Stuff

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy

Obviously, when you take it to the calibration shop they will use an electronic device to correct the speedo....At the shop I got my truck lifted at they were doing a lift on a Dodge around the same time I was there. The lift was 14" and they put 39" tires on it. They sent it to a shop that deals only with speedometer calibration and other stuff in that matter. The truck is spot-on accurate and we checked it with two different GPS units.

What is the cost when you take your truck to a calibration shop? Do they reprogram the computer (i.e. Like a Hypertech) or do they use some other method?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I think you would be hard pressed to find a place that can re-program a Toyota computer. When I checked at a speedo shop, they told me they couldn't program a Toyota computer.

That's why hypertech or any of those guys don't make a programmer for Toyota vehicles.

Of course I live in NC and we don't have **** for places that can do stuff like that. Maybe they do out in CA (they seem to have everything else).
    2003 Double Cab Tacoma
    My Truck & Stuff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast