Tire Pressure 265/75/16

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Tire Pressure 265/75/16

Liked
    0 times

Default Tire Pressure 265/75/16

Ok! Just bought 4 new BF Goodrich 265/75/16 All Terrain AT KO and looked great on my stock 2000 Tundra. However, upon closer inspection I found each tire had a bulge which indicated under flation. I check each tire and found them to be 35 psi and the maxium rating is 65 psi. I contacted Discount Tires and they told me they set the psi to the vehicle manufacture rating....I disagreed and inflated my tire to 65 psi and they run well instead of sluggish..was I right to increase to 65 psi or should I have kept it at 35 psi per Discount Tire Technician?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times

To get a good indication of the correct pressure for your tire and truck. Take some chalk and draw a line across the tire tread. Then drive about 100 yds and look at the line. worn off only in the middle - too hard, worn off on the edges - too soft. worn off evenly across the tread - just right.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Liked
    0 times

woodbadge,

The method Glenn suggets will definitely work well. For reference, I've been adjusting my tire pressure on my BFG AT KO's and here's where I'm at to get even wear across the tires...

Front: 30 psi
    Rear: 28 psi

I was running them both at 35 psi. But although that looked good it was wearing the middle only and not the edges. I will agree that the sidewalls look bulged out a little at the pressures I listed but that's where I get even wear.(Remember, Toyota actually recommends 26 psi in the front. They really only do that for a more cushiony ride...)

Also remember that you bought an AT tire. So you're not going to get as good of gas mileage as if bought an all-season or street tire. AS's or streets have less rolling resistance due to their stiffer side wall.

Another hint with AT's. Make sure to get them balanced every 4 or 5K. They do not wear as "neatly" as street tires.

You will be very happy with your off road ability and excellent grip on pavement. At least that's my opinion so far.

Liked
    0 times

Default Tire Pressure

Thanks Guys! I know I would get expericanced answers instead of just plain answers from the dealer.

I got my chaulk in hand and will be experimenting with pressures today.

By the way, I hope to post some pics of my toy soon......