Are my tires out of balance?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Are my tires out of balance?

Liked
    1 times

Default Are my tires out of balance?

I bought some new Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos about 500 miles ago, and have noticed a noise from them in the last 200 miles or so. They kind of go "Wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa" down the road instead of a constant "waaaaaaa". does this mean they are out of balance or is it just the agressive tread doing its thing?
    I've heard jeeps with big swampers sound like that only louder.
    Anyone help me out here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by S-Man
    I bought some new Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos about 500 miles ago, and have noticed a noise from them in the last 200 miles or so. They kind of go "Wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa" down the road instead of a constant "waaaaaaa". does this mean they are out of balance or is it just the agressive tread doing its thing?
    I've heard jeeps with big swampers sound like that only louder.
    Anyone help me out here?
    I keep tellin people that Bridestone is lame. I had a set of the Bridestone Dueler AT's and they were loud as heck and I could never get them balanced correctly. I hope you can get your situation solved. Good luck!
    2004 Tundra doublecab SR5 4x4, TRD package, 2.5" Swayaway/Racerunner coilovers, 18" moto metal 951c with Nitto Terra Grapplers, K&N filter, Wet okole front and rear custom seat covers, A.R.E. Bed cover, TRD 3rd brake light cover, custom viper alarm, Gold plated emblems. CPS Westin Bull bar, Westin Driving lights, polished Elliptical bumper grill.

Still to come: custom dash kit, JBA headers, exhaust,and eventually custom paint. And whatever else looks appealing!

Liked
    1 times

I have the "p" load range tires, so i would think they should be easier to balance than the "D" or heavier load tires. but we'll see. Maybe i need a "Hunter Road Force Balancer" thing done to it.

Liked
    10 times
    Images

If you're not feeling any vibration or shake in the steering wheel it's not a balance issue. It might be an alignment problem though and that has absolutely nothing to do with the tire maker. You might search for DJ's alignment specs.
    My Tundra will make that noise on some highway surfaces but for the most part they're relatively quiet and they certainly perform well in rain and snow. Over thirty years I've always had great performance from Bridgestones and lousy luck with Michelin, Dunlop and Pirelli.

Larry
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by LGL002
    If you're not feeling any vibration or shake in the steering wheel it's not a balance issue. It might be an alignment problem though and that has absolutely nothing to do with the tire maker. You might search for DJ's alignment specs.
    My Tundra will make that noise on some highway surfaces but for the most part they're relatively quiet and they certainly perform well in rain and snow. Over thirty years I've always had great performance from Bridgestones and lousy luck with Michelin, Dunlop and Pirelli.

Larry
    In my case it was a balance issue, I had a vibration and a shake that I could never get rid off. I don't know how many times I had my wheels balanced but after awhile I just gave up. My BFG's balanced perfectly, No vibrations or shakes!
    2004 Tundra doublecab SR5 4x4, TRD package, 2.5" Swayaway/Racerunner coilovers, 18" moto metal 951c with Nitto Terra Grapplers, K&N filter, Wet okole front and rear custom seat covers, A.R.E. Bed cover, TRD 3rd brake light cover, custom viper alarm, Gold plated emblems. CPS Westin Bull bar, Westin Driving lights, polished Elliptical bumper grill.

Still to come: custom dash kit, JBA headers, exhaust,and eventually custom paint. And whatever else looks appealing!

Liked
    0 times

Not always a balance issue, it can very often be an out of true issue. High spots on a tire can make alot of noise, and not always have a vibration...
    Blacked out 2003 Limited 4X4 Access Cab with TRD Off-Road Package Debadged
    2.5" Fabtech suspension lift
    3" body lift

Liked
    0 times

New tires are going to be louder than older tires. Deeper tread will disturb more air. Typically the more agressive the tread pattern the louder the tires will be. Tires have variable tread block sizes to vary the pitch so that you don't get the constant whine. Wheel balancing has nothing to do with noise except maybe from your teeth chattering together when it is really off.

Liked
    1 times

Beleive it or not, when i took off my stock tires, they were almost slick, and they made a lot (LOT) of noise and were quite rough. When i drove home after mounting my new bridgestones, they were whisper quiet and smooth as glass compared to the stock worn-out tires.
    I think new tires are supposed to be quieter because motor trend always comments about tire noise increasing with age and mileage.

Liked
    0 times

Tires can increase in noise if as they age if they are not properly maintained. Feathering from improper alignment or cupping from bad shock will cause it. Generally a well maintained tire will become more quiet as it wears.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jasbus
    Not always a balance issue, it can very often be an out of true issue. High spots on a tire can make alot of noise, and not always have a vibration...
    This is a possibility - a tire being out of round took out a shock on my father's F-250 and shwabs replaced the tire and the shock. It does happen, but do your HW (call other tire dealers to see what they have to say). Maybe someone has experiance with out of round tire issues and can help you rule it out.

When I had my 265/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains balanced when standing off to the side of the tire balancer you can see the tire going up and down as it spins. I asked the tire guy if the tires had a problem and he said it is very common for larger tires to have this characteristic. And when I drove them they were perfect - no problems at all (nice consistent hum). My point is that if they were further out of round the tire would begin to bounce on the truck. Is it all tires sounding the same or simply just one of them?

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    450 times

Quote Originally Posted by SnowTruck
    [...]

When I had my 265/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains balanced when standing off to the side of the tire balancer you can see the tire going up and down as it spins. I asked the tire guy if the tires had a problem and he said it is very common for larger tires to have this characteristic. And when I drove them they were perfect - no problems at all (nice consistent hum).

[...]
    It's called "runout".

Hunter Engineering makes a variety of wheel balancer called a GSP9700 that measures the runout of the wheel and the tire and can match the two to minimize the net runout of the assembly. You can see a full description at http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/intro.cfm

What is notable, and the reason for this post, is that the GSP9700 measures the runout while pressing a roller with 1400 pounds of force against the slowly rotating tire, in effect measuring its "loaded runout". The visible runout that you describe does not always match the "loaded runout" that wheel/tire assembly experiences while rolling down the road.

Try it -- you'll like it.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default But make sure

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    It's called "runout".

Hunter Engineering makes a variety of wheel balancer called a GSP9700 that measures the runout of the wheel and the tire and can match the two to minimize the net runout of the assembly. You can see a full description at http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/intro.cfm

What is notable, and the reason for this post, is that the GSP9700 measures the runout while pressing a roller with 1400 pounds of force against the slowly rotating tire, in effect measuring its "loaded runout". The visible runout that you describe does not always match the "loaded runout" that wheel/tire assembly experiences while rolling down the road.

Try it -- you'll like it.
    The above information about the Road Force Balance is great information for the very sensitive front ends on the Toyota's. If you take it to the dealer ask them if they do us a "hub centric adapter" or a "lug centric adapter". I had my Tundra back at the dealer 4 times for vibration trouble and the last time I took the above information along with the information I got from Gadgetonline.com and demanded a lug centric type balance and now my truck drives like glass up to 90 mph.

Rick
    My first Tundra, Reg. Cab, 4.0 V6, 2wd, White. Ziebart spray in bed liner and rustproofing. Vent Visors. Red Hellwig sway bar. Many mods to come.

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    450 times

Quote Originally Posted by RBeau1954
    The above information about the Road Force Balance is great information for the very sensitive front ends on the Toyota's. If you take it to the dealer ask them if they do us a "hub centric adapter" or a "lug centric adapter". I had my Tundra back at the dealer 4 times for vibration trouble and the last time I took the above information along with the information I got from Gadgetonline.com and demanded a lug centric type balance and now my truck drives like glass up to 90 mph.

Rick
    The use or non-use of the adapter depends on the wheel you use on your truck. My Tundra and Sequoia use Toyota OEM alloy wheels, which are mounted hub-centric to these vehicles. I used a front centering cone with outstanding results. My Tundra uses a steel spare (i.e., the same Toyota OEM steel wheels used when the truck doesn't come with alloy wheels) which is a lug-centric mount, so I used a Haweka lug adapter on it. I've used the spare once and it was vibration-free.

Your point is correct and well made, but you have to make sure how your wheels mount on the vehicle to know what kind of mount to use on the balancer. It should be the same on both.

Road-force balancing sure makes a difference, doesn't it?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

S-Man I have Revos on my Tundra and they make the same noise you describe BUT if you don't feel any vibration the balance should be ok.