OEM alloy wheels sticking to hub?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: OEM alloy wheels sticking to hub?

Liked
    22 times
    Images

Default OEM alloy wheels sticking to hub?

This weekend I took off my factory alloy wheels and changed over to my 3 season wheels & tires. I had lots of trouble un-sticking the front wheels from the hubs this year and wondered if anyone else had this problem.

To break the front wheel free I literally had to loosen all the lugs, take the vehicle off the jack/stands, then start it up, pop it in gear and slam on the brakes after about a foot of travel. They were really stuck. I had to do this about three times on one wheel before I could feel it break free.
    The lugs and wheels suffered no damage, but I don't want to go to this extreme every time I swap out my wheels.

I cleaned the hubs a little and sprayed some WD-40 on them before I bolted up the after-market wheels.
    Maybe I should pull them off and do a better job of cleaning them.
    What can I treat the hubs with to prevent this in the future? Grease?
    05 Sequoia 4x4 Ltd. Phantom Grey Pearl, Weld 20" wheels on Michelin tires, MagnaFlow cat-back, Amsoil fluids, custom 15" overhead DVD system, Eclipse NAV system w/camera, Sirius tuner, HD Radio tuner. HAT tweeters, Scanspeak mids and DLS coaxials, TRU B-2110 and H-1 amps, 13" eD sub, iPod hookup. SilverStar Ultra lamps, Bilsteins all around.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times

Default Re: OEM alloy wheels sticking to hub?

i use this ani-seize hub compound. its silver in colour and works great. im not sure what its called but i'll make sure to check and post again. its available at most auto parts stores.

Liked
    22 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tundranator
    i use this ani-seize hub compound. its silver in colour and works great. im not sure what its called but i'll make sure to check and post again. its available at most auto parts stores.
    I didn't know they made one specifically for wheel hubs! I've used the copper based ones for spark plugs in aluminum heads before.
    05 Sequoia 4x4 Ltd. Phantom Grey Pearl, Weld 20" wheels on Michelin tires, MagnaFlow cat-back, Amsoil fluids, custom 15" overhead DVD system, Eclipse NAV system w/camera, Sirius tuner, HD Radio tuner. HAT tweeters, Scanspeak mids and DLS coaxials, TRU B-2110 and H-1 amps, 13" eD sub, iPod hookup. SilverStar Ultra lamps, Bilsteins all around.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

It's a galvanic reation between dissimilar metals, alloy rims against steel hubs. The WD-40 wont do anything, tundranator hit the nail on the head: Antiseize. I really don't think which one you use matters. I use the silver antiseize on just about everything. Clean off as much rust as possible and cover the hub where the rim sits w/a light coating of the compound and put some on the threads of the lugs, just enough to coat the steel is enough. The rims and lug nuts will come off everytime like nothing from here on out. Just don't keep pilling it on there, if it gets too much on there i recommend cleaning it all off and starting fresh.
    '06 AC SR5 4x4
    '05 Honda Foreman 500S 4x4
    '04 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

Liked
    22 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ICON
    It's a galvanic reation between dissimilar metals, alloy rims against steel hubs. The WD-40 wont do anything, tundranator hit the nail on the head: Antiseize. I really don't think which one you use matters. I use the silver antiseize on just about everything. Clean off as much rust as possible and cover the hub where the rim sits w/a light coating of the compound and put some on the threads of the lugs, just enough to coat the steel is enough. The rims and lug nuts will come off everytime like nothing from here on out. Just don't keep pilling it on there, if it gets too much on there i recommend cleaning it all off and starting fresh.
    Makes sense. When it gets warmer here I'll pull them off and treat them so I don't have to go through that episode again!

Thanks.

Liked
    1 times

I use a product called Wheel Mate that goes between the hubs and wheel and it makes really easy to get the wheel off. I think they were $19 at Autobarn and have no problems since using them.

Quote Originally Posted by czechm8
    This weekend I took off my factory alloy wheels and changed over to my 3 season wheels & tires. I had lots of trouble un-sticking the front wheels from the hubs this year and wondered if anyone else had this problem.

To break the front wheel free I literally had to loosen all the lugs, take the vehicle off the jack/stands, then start it up, pop it in gear and slam on the brakes after about a foot of travel. They were really stuck. I had to do this about three times on one wheel before I could feel it break free.
    The lugs and wheels suffered no damage, but I don't want to go to this extreme every time I swap out my wheels.

I cleaned the hubs a little and sprayed some WD-40 on them before I bolted up the after-market wheels.
    Maybe I should pull them off and do a better job of cleaning them.
    What can I treat the hubs with to prevent this in the future? Grease?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-29-2009, 12:49 PM