are oversized rims worth it ?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: are oversized rims worth it ?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Cool are oversized rims worth it ?

just wanted to get some opinions

are 22's really worth it. I have read tons of post and this is what i have concluded.

1. oversized rims with low profile tires is unsafe
    2. they make gas mileage go down
    3. to get it configured correctly is pricey.

I just want to know if im wrong for assuming such things.

it's almost to the point where i just my keep my wheels stock , FOREVER. haha
    2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD iforce, Thunder Grey Metallic ( two-tone)

Mods: Limo tint all-around, Garmin StreetPilot c330, Kenwood DDX6019, Clarion VMA7194 Headrest monitors, PS2 (slim), two 12" Alpine Type-R Subwoofers, two Power Acoustik LX2-1000, Rockford Fosgate CPC10-03 1 Farad Capacitor, Viper 791VX security alarm W/ remotestart module, dual zone motion sensor, battery backup, window control module

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times

Default Re: are oversized rims worth it ?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeVinceSequoia View Post
    just wanted to get some opinions

are 22's really worth it. I have read tons of post and this is what i have concluded.

1. oversized rims with low profile tires is unsafe
    2. they make gas mileage go down
    3. to get it configured correctly is pricey.

I just want to know if im wrong for assuming such things.

it's almost to the point where i just my keep my wheels stock , FOREVER. haha
    I have an opinion on this for sure. To answer your questions, I don't think they are unsafe. That would really be determined by what tire is used. Actually a bigger rim with a lower profile tire handles better on the road because there isn't as much sidewall flex, but you definitely give up comfort for the same reason. No sidewall to soak up the road irregularities. Gas mileage might be very mildly affected because of more rolling mass. Pricey? Yes indeed. Both the wheels and tires are expensive.

I think for the Tundra, if you off road a lot you are better off with a smaller rim diameter like a 16" or 17" with a tire that has a nice high sidewall. Then you move to the all purpose truck, some off road, some on. This is fine with a 16", 17" 18" or even 20" with the proper tire. For a street truck of the Tundra's size, I personally like 18" or 20" wheels. With 22" you will have to run a very small sidewall just to fit them in your fenderwells and prevent rubbing. Again, the bigger the wheel the smaller the sidewall of the tire and you will get a harsher ride but better handling. I use my truck only on the street and have 20" with 295/45/20" tires. This smaller sidewall size makes my truck ride a smidgen rougher but it handles better and in my opinion, it looks better. The Tundra, especially the Double Cab looks better proportioned with a bigger wheel.

Tires make a dramatic difference too. I had Falken Zeix S/TZ-01 that I had balance problems with, and they rode rough. I broke a belt in one of them at 10,000 miles and recently replaced them with BF Goodrich G-Force TA KDW with the new cad designed tread. The BFGs are a dramatic change even though they are the exact same size. They ride so much smoother and make less noise than the Falkens did. It rides almost as good as a Tundra on stock 16" rims again.

Wheels and tires are really a matter of taste. For example, I like polished alloy wheels and some chrome rim designs look great, but I really don't care for the new black wheel trend. They look good on some vehicles, especially darker colors, but they just aren't for me. If you love the black, then get them. After all, it's your truck!

Bigger rims do cost more and so do the tires, they are harder to get balanced correctly, there is a slight amount of more rolling mass depending on the wheel and tire weight, but I think they look great, and that's good enough for me and worth the small negatives. Just remember, the bigger the rim, the more it's going to cost and you will give up ride quality.

Phil
    05 White TRD D-Cab, SR5, Limited slip, 20" TRD Enkei's with BFGoodrich G-Force TA NT, All weather guard package, factory rear privacy glass with matching front door tint, Toyota bedliner plus bed mat, Toyota/A.R.E. color keyed tonneau cover, overhead console with temp, compass and Homelink, Toyota/Gentex electrochromatic mirror, keyless, mats, TRD aluminum front skidplate, Toyota/Bazooka VSE 100 watt self-powered subwoofer, TRD stainless exhaust tip, door sill guards, Custom TRD matched pin striping with Toyota logos, painted calipers with TRD letters, TRD billet aluminum third brake light cover with true TRD letters, Pioneer AVIC D-3 GPS head unit with IP Buss controlled Pioneer XM radio tuner and iPod interface, Pac remote(maintains steering wheel controls) Polk Audio speakers DB675 two way in rear, Polk DB6750 components in front powered by a Polk C400.4 4 channel amp, seperate amped Aura Pro Bass Shakers under each front seat, Bazooka EL series 8" 100 watt self-powered subwoofer with Polk Momo driver with quick disconnect, Memphis tweeters in rear, back-up sensors (very handy), foglight mod, Sylvania Silverstars in both head and fog lights, added rear halogen back-up lighting, BellTech 6700 1" lowering shackles, Hellwig anti-sway bar, Magnaflow 14586 Stainless muffler, Wheelskins two-tone leather steering wheel cover, Ventvisors for side and rear windows, custom lower grill insert, Hoppy tailgate spring. More to come!

Very funny Scotty, now beam up my clothes!

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: are oversized rims worth it ?

Hi,

You forgot to mention curbs and theft...