Nitto Terra Grappler vs. Toyo Open Country (305/50/20)

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nitto Terra Grappler vs. Toyo Open Country (305/50/20)

Liked
    7 times

Default Nitto Terra Grappler vs. Toyo Open Country (305/50/20)

I have a choice to make, my local dealer has a set of toyos in stock for the same price as the nittos, but he cant get the nittos until next week. I like the look of the Open Countrys, but I do like the more aggresive side wall of the nittos.

If you had to choose, what would you pick for tread wear (real important, I drive 350miles a week), looks, and ride? Anyone had both?

Brandon
    2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4 AC
    Exterior: Trd Off-Road package, Trd Skid Plate, Borla Side Exit Exhaust, 15% Llumar tint, Enkei Deep Six 20's, 285/50/20 Cooper LTZ, Bilstein 5100's, Camburg UCA's, Toytec add-a-leaf, UWS Lo-Pro Toolbox, Wilson 1000.
    Interior: Alpine 9851, CDT 6.5" components, Alpine MRP-F240, MRD-M300, ED SQ 10, Galaxy 959 CB, Yaesu VX-5R, HK USP 9mm.

Showroom Shine Details
    Premium Automotive Detailing
    www.ShowroomShineNC.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Nitto Terra Grappler vs. Toyo Open Country (305/50/20)

When I was doing research on tires that I wanted to put on my truck my top 3 were 1)Toyo, 2)BFG, 3)Nitto in that order. I liked what I was hearing about the tread wear on the first 2, and having bfg mud terrains on my other truck for 40k+ miles added to my liking. However, neither Toyo nor BFG had the tire size (width and rim size) that I wanted to put on my truck. Based on sheer performance characteristics on what I needed in a tire, I wanted Toyo's above the rest, but due to the limited size selection, I had to go with the Nitto Mud Grapplers (which I thought "looked" the best). Basically, if Toyo or BFG made a 35x14.50x16, I would've gone with them over the Nitto's any day regardless of what it looked like, as I think all of these mud terrains look aggressive enough.
    2004 Black Tundra AC I 4WD I TRD I LSD I 4.88s I Camburg UCAs I RCD 6" I 3" Body Lift I Gap Guards I 35"x14.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers I 16x10 Black Streetlocks I Flowmaster 50 Dumped I Debadged I Snuglid SL I Tint I RS3200plus upgrade I Differential Breather Ext I Back Seat Mod I TC Steering Rack Bushings I Aux Fan I II

1985 Toyota 4runner I 22re I 33" BFG Mud Terrains II

1987 Toyota Pickup I XtraCab I 4WD I 22r I MSD Helicoil I 32/36 Weber I Hooker Header I Straight Pipe to Flowmaster 50 series I 33" BFG Mud Terrains I Centerlines I Smittybuilt Sides and Rear II - SALE PENDING

Liked
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTHSR5 View Post
    When I was doing research on tires that I wanted to put on my truck my top 3 were 1)Toyo, 2)BFG, 3)Nitto in that order. I liked what I was hearing about the tread wear on the first 2, and having bfg mud terrains on my other truck for 40k+ miles added to my liking. However, neither Toyo nor BFG had the tire size (width and rim size) that I wanted to put on my truck. Based on sheer performance characteristics on what I needed in a tire, I wanted Toyo's above the rest, but due to the limited size selection, I had to go with the Nitto Mud Grapplers (which I thought "looked" the best). Basically, if Toyo or BFG made a 35x14.50x16, I would've gone with them over the Nitto's any day regardless of what it looked like, as I think all of these mud terrains look aggressive enough.
    yeah, but these are not mud tires, they are A/T tires. The general opinion is that the toyos get better milage but the nittos look better.
    Exterior: Trd Off-Road package, Trd Skid Plate, Borla Side Exit Exhaust, 15% Llumar tint, Enkei Deep Six 20's, 285/50/20 Cooper LTZ, Bilstein 5100's, Camburg UCA's, Toytec add-a-leaf, UWS Lo-Pro Toolbox, Wilson 1000.
    Interior: Alpine 9851, CDT 6.5" components, Alpine MRP-F240, MRD-M300, ED SQ 10, Galaxy 959 CB, Yaesu VX-5R, HK USP 9mm.

Showroom Shine Details
    www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Liked
    0 times

I've had no complaints with Nitto
    Tundra is gone...*Map Light mod *Keyless Upgrade *Monster ICruze *Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/75/16 *Black Helo Maxx 8 16x8 *4x4 TRD Coils *4x4 TRD Shocks *Daystar 2.5" Spacer Kit *Bilstein 5100's *P.A 3" Body Lift *Toyota Drop-in Bedliner *Toyota LSD *Toyota Hood Protector *VentShades *Debadged *Tint *Flowmaster 50 Series Single Exhaust *Clear Corners *Chrome Nerf Bars*
    Nissan 350ZR is here...350zen,org

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1 View Post
    The general opinion is that the toyos get better milage but the nittos look better.
    That's the consensus that I got. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Nitto uses a softer compound that BFG and Toyo. I don't dislike the "look" of the Toyos(I actually like how they look a lot) which is why I say that I would've got them if they had the right size. These are the first set of Nitto tires that I bought, no complaints so far and love the way they look, I'm just skeptical to see the mileage I get, knowing that I would've got a lot more with the BFG's or Toyo's.
    2004 Black Tundra AC I 4WD I TRD I LSD I 4.88s I Camburg UCAs I RCD 6" I 3" Body Lift I Gap Guards I 35"x14.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers I 16x10 Black Streetlocks I Flowmaster 50 Dumped I Debadged I Snuglid SL I Tint I RS3200plus upgrade I Differential Breather Ext I Back Seat Mod I TC Steering Rack Bushings I Aux Fan I II

1985 Toyota 4runner I 22re I 33" BFG Mud Terrains II

1987 Toyota Pickup I XtraCab I 4WD I 22r I MSD Helicoil I 32/36 Weber I Hooker Header I Straight Pipe to Flowmaster 50 series I 33" BFG Mud Terrains I Centerlines I Smittybuilt Sides and Rear II - SALE PENDING

Liked
    0 times

Considering the size increase, my mileage has been fine.
    Tundra is gone...*Map Light mod *Keyless Upgrade *Monster ICruze *Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/75/16 *Black Helo Maxx 8 16x8 *4x4 TRD Coils *4x4 TRD Shocks *Daystar 2.5" Spacer Kit *Bilstein 5100's *P.A 3" Body Lift *Toyota Drop-in Bedliner *Toyota LSD *Toyota Hood Protector *VentShades *Debadged *Tint *Flowmaster 50 Series Single Exhaust *Clear Corners *Chrome Nerf Bars*
    Nissan 350ZR is here...350zen,org

Liked
    7 times

What have you all been getting? I would like to see at least 40k. I think I may have decided on toyos, but we will see.

Showroom Shine Details
    www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Liked
    7 times

I ended up purchasing the toyo open country's. Milage is what lured me to them. Talked to several people and they said that nittos are known for low milage and the toyo's usually get 60000 a set.

Showroom Shine Details
    www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Liked
    0 times

I have had both. Currently running the Nitto's. I was told that the Nitto is now owned by Toyo. Anyone know for sure?

I got 40000 out of my Toyo's with uneven wear. Checked suspension, alignment, etc... No problems. A couple dealer's I spoke with confirmed bad wear on Toyo's. Now I have Nitto's with 15,000 miles currently. From what I can tell so far, the Nitto's are wearing more even and longer. At this rate I assume I will get 60000 easily out of them.

Banned
    Liked
    2 times
    Images

I have a choice to make, my local dealer has a set of toyos in stock for the same price as the nittos, but he cant get the nittos until next week. I like the look of the Open Countrys, but I do like the more aggresive side wall of the nittos.

If you had to choose, what would you pick for tread wear (real important, I drive 350miles a week), looks, and ride? Anyone had both?

Brandon
    I dont like the Open country on wear I got the first batch in 2001 and they didnt last one year.. Toyo makes good car tires but truck tires hand's down On wear and tear didnt fit my driving style which is mostly freeway....

Liked
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by TUNDRAV8GEORGIA View Post
    I dont like the Open country on wear I got the first batch in 2001 and they didnt last one year.. Toyo makes good car tires but truck tires hand's down On wear and tear didnt fit my driving style which is mostly freeway....
    well that sucks b/c that is what I purchased.

Showroom Shine Details
    www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Banned
    Liked
    2 times
    Images

well that sucks b/c that is what I purchased.

unless Toyo Open C designed had improved since then (01) maybe your tires will be ok but from my overall experience on dealing with Toyo Tires on the truck side wern't that good but i will say this I did like the overall traction the Open thread provided very good in overall handling in wet weature..Good luck on your new tires and make sure it's rotated very every 5 k......

Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Re: Nitto Terra Grappler vs. Toyo Open Country (305/50/20)

Nitto tires are made by Toyo!

A good friend of mine is the TOYO rep in Atlanta!

Both are high quality tires, but TOYO is the premium brand while NITTO is the moderate brand. The same thing holds true with Continental Tires and General Tires. I worked there for 7 years.
    SINCERELY,
    TSP1'S

Liked
    7 times

yeah, the Terra Grappler and the Open A/T's are the same tire minus the sidewall and wear rating.

Showroom Shine Details
    www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)