245/70R16 or 265/70R16

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 245/70R16 or 265/70R16

Liked
    7 times

Default 245/70R16 or 265/70R16

I am interested in your opinions.

My Tundra came with 265s on it. Would there be any benefit to going with the 245s?

Also what tires would you recommend. I have been looking at the Goodyear fortera Triple Tread and the Pirelli Scorpion ATR. Any thoughts and experiences with these tires would be much appreceiated.

I just mostly use my truck for commuting but I do haul a 16" boat that weights in a about 1500lbs. not including trailer weight.

Thanks
    2004 Access Cab 4x4 V8 7828A, Phantom Gray Pearl, All Weather Package, Aluminum Wheels, Chrome Arch Molding, Fog Lights, Towing Package, SR5 Extra Value Package.
    Extras: Line-x sprayin liner, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Retrax Bed Cover,Lund Interceptor bug shield.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: 245/70R16 or 265/70R16

why go smaller? it would make the truck look funny!
    2006 silverado with full bolt on's and its fast

Liked
    1 times

i understand what you mean, but this, in my unpopular opinion, is a common misconception. there are actually some really good reasons to go smaller. .

1. better handling, less sidewall.
    2. narrower contact patch, lless likely to hydroplane, potentially less rolling resistance, better gas mileage
    3. lower unsprung weight, better control of wheels/tires by suspension
    4. more effective torque to the ground

some good off-roading studies (and there aren't many done) show that a narrower tire actually improves handling in many conditions because it increases the effective psi of force in the contact patch and the tire deforms better around small irregularities in the road/trail surface.

i personally don't think the slightly smaller size we are talking about here would be very noticeable.

what i have noticed is that it's pretty hard to find good weight carrying capacity in tires that are much narrower then 255. about the most weight a lot of these tires can manage in the 255 width is just over 1800 lbs per tire. that is pushing the upper limit on the tundra and definitely not good for towing much. the boat you describe would probably be ok, but you would limit yourself to nothing much more. the total truck weight would have to be watched closely. in a 245 width tire, they are mostly (not all) designed for drivers of sporty sedans who think they want to widen the stance, as opposed to drivers of light and medium duty trucks who want to narrow their tire width. when you hit 245 widths, most tires take a rapid down turn in weight carrying capacity in the ballpark of 1300 lbs per tire which would definitely NOT be good for a truck of the tundra's size.

also, you simply won't find many 245 width tires from which to choose. they are kind of in no-man's land between the tires designed for sedans and sports cars and those designed for trucks and large SUVs.

not saying you can't find them, just be careful when choosing and definitely check out the weight carrying number. my snow tires are 235s and are available in load range Es, but they are also a winter tire and it's not common to find that particular combination in an all-season tire.

another point is the sidewall height. if you go with a 70 aspect ratio on a narrower tire, your overall sidewall height will be slightly less, but the truck will still have enough weight to roll over on the tire slightly when cornering and you won't notice much increase in handling.

my next tires will be a P 255/50R17 for that reason. It is about 3" less diameter than stock (10% less) and I am hoping for all the gains listed above - especially noticeable torque improvements, handling improvements and a minor gas mileage improvement. i'll probably run them slightly lower than OEM pressure so the ride should not be harsh. i don't particular care if people think they look "funny" on the truck. if anything, i think it will make the truck look slightly lifted and the rubber will definitely look good on the factory alloy rims. the new 18" TRD rims with 50 series tires look bada$$ in my opinion.

that will be next spring. i'll post a writeup once i try them out. please let us know if you like the tires you decide to go with! ;-)
    2004 Tundra DC Limited Phantom Perl Gray w/ Oak Leather Interior (power sunroof, Kazuma TRD LSD, Advance 4 panel hard tonneau cover, Hellwig antisway bar, lighted running boards, dual battery setup with 1500 watt 120 volt power inverter, additional 'always-on' 12 volt outlets, aftermarket dual zone heated seat kits, Blizzack W965 LT235/85R16 winter tires on stock steel rims, JBA cat-forward titanium ceramic coated headers, tinted front driver's and passenger's windows, alignment to DJ's specs, Roadmaster VR-3 backup camera, Waeco 12 volt fridge/freezer, and, the best for last.... black rubber floor mats from Sams.) Recently added: baby seat!

Wish list: too long, wife would kill me!

2003 Corolla (bone stock, but well loved and cared for!)

"Expect the impossible."
    - JC and the Brothers of Thunder

Liked
    176 times

Quote Originally Posted by cupidstoy View Post
    i understand what you mean, but this, in my unpopular opinion, is a common misconception. there are actually some really good reasons to go smaller. .

1. better handling, less sidewall.
    2. narrower contact patch, lless likely to hydroplane, potentially less rolling resistance, better gas mileage
    3. lower unsprung weight, better control of wheels/tires by suspension
    4. more effective torque to the ground

some good off-roading studies (and there aren't many done) show that a narrower tire actually improves handling in many conditions because it increases the effective psi of force in the contact patch and the tire deforms better around small irregularities in the road/trail surface.

i personally don't think the slightly smaller size we are talking about here would be very noticeable.

what i have noticed is that it's pretty hard to find good weight carrying capacity in tires that are much narrower then 255. about the most weight a lot of these tires can manage in the 255 width is just over 1800 lbs per tire. that is pushing the upper limit on the tundra and definitely not good for towing much. the boat you describe would probably be ok, but you would limit yourself to nothing much more. the total truck weight would have to be watched closely. in a 245 width tire, they are mostly (not all) designed for drivers of sporty sedans who think they want to widen the stance, as opposed to drivers of light and medium duty trucks who want to narrow their tire width. when you hit 245 widths, most tires take a rapid down turn in weight carrying capacity in the ballpark of 1300 lbs per tire which would definitely NOT be good for a truck of the tundra's size.

also, you simply won't find many 245 width tires from which to choose. they are kind of in no-man's land between the tires designed for sedans and sports cars and those designed for trucks and large SUVs.

not saying you can't find them, just be careful when choosing and definitely check out the weight carrying number. my snow tires are 235s and are available in load range Es, but they are also a winter tire and it's not common to find that particular combination in an all-season tire.

another point is the sidewall height. if you go with a 70 aspect ratio on a narrower tire, your overall sidewall height will be slightly less, but the truck will still have enough weight to roll over on the tire slightly when cornering and you won't notice much increase in handling.

my next tires will be a P 255/50R17 for that reason. It is about 3" less diameter than stock (10% less) and I am hoping for all the gains listed above - especially noticeable torque improvements, handling improvements and a minor gas mileage improvement. i'll probably run them slightly lower than OEM pressure so the ride should not be harsh. i don't particular care if people think they look "funny" on the truck. if anything, i think it will make the truck look slightly lifted and the rubber will definitely look good on the factory alloy rims. the new 18" TRD rims with 50 series tires look bada$$ in my opinion.

that will be next spring. i'll post a writeup once i try them out. please let us know if you like the tires you decide to go with! ;-)
    I'm going to keep this short: I used 245/70/16 Studded Nokian Haakapaliitta SUV's on my tundra 2 winters ago. I went places I never went before: climbed up ice covered rocks
    Went deep into trails.
    Hauled major @ss through trails my 265/75/16's Yoko AT II's can never go.
    60-70 m.p.h. in deep snow (1-2 feet).
    Had control the whole time after figuring the wheel to tire/wheel out (steering wheel turned 1 - 1 1/2 turns and you're going straight and loving to see the snow roost.
    Went over downed trees after snapping the branches off to get back
    Had Gobs of power since the engine is able to breathe

Liked
    6 times
    Images

I am currently running 245's, they are load range "E".
    I have run em from Arizona into Montana all around Georgetown lake up there, into the alpine lakes. Towed a loaded trailer up and down over the rocks etc. Could not be happier.
    They don't look bad at all. in my opinion.

Now if the gear manufactures make the gears for the front I will be switching to 255/85/16's.

Liked
    7 times

Thanks for the Replys. I also noticed that on the sticker on the door jamb of my truck both 245's and 265's are listed.

The Toyota site also shows 245's as standard on most Tundra models. I found my original window sticker and It lists 245's as standard and the 265's were optional equipment with the Aluminum Wheels.
    2004 Access Cab 4x4 V8 7828A, Phantom Gray Pearl, All Weather Package, Aluminum Wheels, Chrome Arch Molding, Fog Lights, Towing Package, SR5 Extra Value Package.
    Extras: Line-x sprayin liner, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Retrax Bed Cover,Lund Interceptor bug shield.

Liked
    0 times

Just to give you an idea how it might look. So you won't regret later on.
    On 255/55R18
    18x9 +18 offset rims
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 228a.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	14720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 230a.jpg 
Views:	1057 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	14721
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 232a.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	14722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 229a.jpg 
Views:	1567 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	14723
    Comments are welcome.
    05 tundra dc timberland mica
    stockton, ca

Liked
    1 times

wow, i really like that look on a street truck. but, your post is a little unclear. you give two different sizes, one for 18 inch rims, then the link to the photos gives the 16 inch size.

can you give us any more info? which specific tire size are we looking at and what affect on handling? ride? affect on mileage? power? etc....

also, are they P rated tires and what brand/model?
    2004 Tundra DC Limited Phantom Perl Gray w/ Oak Leather Interior (power sunroof, Kazuma TRD LSD, Advance 4 panel hard tonneau cover, Hellwig antisway bar, lighted running boards, dual battery setup with 1500 watt 120 volt power inverter, additional 'always-on' 12 volt outlets, aftermarket dual zone heated seat kits, Blizzack W965 LT235/85R16 winter tires on stock steel rims, JBA cat-forward titanium ceramic coated headers, tinted front driver's and passenger's windows, alignment to DJ's specs, Roadmaster VR-3 backup camera, Waeco 12 volt fridge/freezer, and, the best for last.... black rubber floor mats from Sams.) Recently added: baby seat!

"Expect the impossible."

Liked
    7 times

I went to one place this morning and he recommended that If I want to go with the 245's I should go with 245/75R16's. That will keep the Diameter of the tire almost the same. He told me that my speedo was calibrated to the 265/70R16 so that it would be off by a little bit if I went with the 245/70R16.

I did look it up and he is right the tire diameter would be:
    265/70R16 = 30.6
    245/70R16 = 29.6
    245/75R16 = 30.5

I check out the Max load:
    265 111S = 2403 lbs
    245 109S = 2271 lbs

So capacity wise I would loose 132 lbs.

I'm leaning to the Bridgestone dueler APT III. The look like a nice tire and the price is not to bad. I looked at the Revo, which from what I have read many people like but the difference is about $60 per tire.

I think it makes sense to go with the 245/75R16s if I want to this way.

Please let me know what you think.

Liked
    1 times

i'm sorry, i guess i misunderstood. i thought you "wanted" to slightly change the tire diameter. if you do not go to a smaller aspect ratio (thinner sidewall) in a narrower tire, the more you go, you will get progressively more and more sidwall flex as the sidewall has to do more work in turns to keep the tire flat on the ground. this will be felt as if the tire is trying to roll off the rim. on my 235/85 snow tires, i have to keep the pressure up pretty high to negate this effect. that makes the ride harsh. if i don't keep them aired up well, they tend to float in crosswinds and feel unstable and they don't feel solid in turns. that is ok for me in a winter tire where the tradeoff of better snow and ice performance is worth it for me. in a summer tire, i would quickly get tired of the taller sidewall ratio.

if you are worried about the speedo being off, you can either figure out the difference in your head (it's a percentage so it's easy to figure out) or go with one of the aftermarket speedo recalibration units.

if this kind of stuff doesn't bother you, any of the choices would probably be ok. i always recommend to people to check out the reviews on tirerack.com before you buy. even if you don't buy from them online, you can still get a really good idea about a tire model from reading the feedback on tirerack.com.

"Expect the impossible."

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    360 times

I hunted elk several times with a friend, a professional hunting guide, whose hunting truck is a Dodge 1500 that is lifted three inches and equipped with a front winch and air lockers. I would NOT want to get stuck or broken down where I went with him.

Given that he is also a tire dealer, he gets to experiment with tires fairly cheaply. As he explained it, he has a "really good road hazard warranty". His favored size is LT245/85R16. When I asked him why, he explained that wider tires tend to "plane over the snow and mud", which makes them slip and slide, whereas the narrower tires tend to "bite through the snow and mud to the rock and such underneath", which makes them grab pretty nicely. The "85" series are taller, which gives the axle better ground clearance.

It takes about three feet of snow to stop him, and mud and ruts he simply ignores. If I had to live offroad in the extreme conditions that he does, I would follow his example.

Liked
    176 times

Quote Originally Posted by bmann View Post
    I went to one place this morning and he recommended that If I want to go with the 245's I should go with 245/75R16's. That will keep the Diameter of the tire almost the same. He told me that my speedo was calibrated to the 265/70R16 so that it would be off by a little bit if I went with the 245/70R16.

I did look it up and he is right the tire diameter would be:
    265/70R16 = 30.6
    245/70R16 = 29.6
    245/75R16 = 30.5

I check out the Max load:
    265 111S = 2403 lbs
    245 109S = 2271 lbs

So capacity wise I would loose 132 lbs.

I'm leaning to the Bridgestone dueler APT III. The look like a nice tire and the price is not to bad. I looked at the Revo, which from what I have read many people like but the difference is about $60 per tire.

I think it makes sense to go with the 245/75R16s if I want to this way.

Please let me know what you think.
    For winter tires Nokians are the stuff to get and rule the pavement (get studded)
    Heres a link to sizes of The Haka's LT tire.
    Nokian Tires LT's
    Nokian Tires Vattiva's Summer tire and all weather (winter, good grip)

Liked
    644 times
    Images

The 245-70-16s came on my 2005 reg. cab I got last Nov. I think the tires are the reason my Tundra seems to get better mpg than most others on this forum. I know the reg. cab. weighs less but with 4WD it probably isn't much different than an access cab. The tires still look new so I can't justify getting new ones, yet.(12,000 mi). My speedo reads high by 2-3 mph at 55-60 mph according to my Garman handheld. That means the odometer is also reading high & throwing off the mpg calculations, but not by much. Most of my driving is city miles to & from work. I consistently get between 18.5 & 19.5 mpg so if it's off by 1/2 mpg, so what. Yes. The tires look too small but not "funny". I want to get 245-75's. I think the truck will look better and not cost me too much in torque. The taller tire should improve mileage but I want an AT so that might negate any mpg gains. Looking at the Firestone Destination AT.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. Added some pics from Ireland trip to Photobucket link. 2005 reg.cab long bed. A/C, 5 sp auto, cold weather pkg. V8, 4WD, LSD, Desert Sand. LT245-75-16 Firestone Destination AT . ExtangTrifectatonneau. Rugged Liner bedliner, Lund vent visors. Classic Accessories back seat gun case, rear breather mod., Tom Tom 550XXL. Clean Breaze rear sliding window screen. Deer head antennae topper. Willie Robinson bobble head, coon tail on whip antennae, curb feelers, rocks in the hub caps, Rebel Flag on roof.
    http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Gatorman76_photos/?

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    360 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman76 View Post
    [...]

My speedo reads high by 2-3 mph at 55-60 mph according to my Garman handheld. That means the odometer is also reading high & throwing off the mpg calculations, but not by much.

[...]
    Um, no, that doesn't follow, but it's not obvious that it doesn't follow. Here's how I know that.

I have an '00 Tundra and an '01 Sequoia. I have a Garmin GPS III+ that I clip into a mount on the overhead console, above and behind the mirror. Each vehicle has such a mount, so I use the same GSP unit in whichever vehicle I drive, and I use it on long trips. I have compared the GPS measurements to the speedometer and odometer measurements of both vehicles a great many times over more than six years. The results are very consistent and very surprising.

With the Tundra, the speedometer reads dead on in that I can't see any difference at all between the Tundra speedometer and the GPS speedometer. But, the Tundra odometer reads high in that it indicates 1,012 miles when the GPS trip odometer indicates 1,000 miles of travel.

With the Sequoia, the speedometer reads 1.5 mph high at all speeds above 45 mph as compared to the GPS speedometer. But, the Sequoia odometer reads dead on in that it agrees with the GPS trip odometer to within 0.1 miles after 1,000 miles of travel.

Go figure.

I figure that neither the speedometer nor the odometer are precision instruments, and their accuracies don't necessarily correlate with each other. Quite likely the internal computation of speed and distance traveled are consistent with each other. But, the digital display of the odometer value is a precision display while the analog display of the speedometer value is not. It could be that they don't agree because the speedometer meter movement is not accurate or is miscalibrated.

Beats me, but now I know how to avoid speeding tickets.

Liked
    644 times
    Images

Interesting. If I ever get to take a long enough trip, I'll try to test that. I just figured if the speedo reads 60 and I'm really doing 57 then in an hour I'll have gone 57 miles and the odo will register 60. That was my reasoning. If the opposite turns out to be true, then it means I getting better mileage than I thought!
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. Added some pics from Ireland trip to Photobucket link. 2005 reg.cab long bed. A/C, 5 sp auto, cold weather pkg. V8, 4WD, LSD, Desert Sand. LT245-75-16 Firestone Destination AT . ExtangTrifectatonneau. Rugged Liner bedliner, Lund vent visors. Classic Accessories back seat gun case, rear breather mod., Tom Tom 550XXL. Clean Breaze rear sliding window screen. Deer head antennae topper. Willie Robinson bobble head, coon tail on whip antennae, curb feelers, rocks in the hub caps, Rebel Flag on roof.
    http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Gatorman76_photos/?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast