Toyota Tundra Forums banner

2000 v8 idle problem

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Remmy700P 
#1 ·
hey yall we got a 2000 v8 with a idle problem, first i had a no start condition, so i positiond the intake hose aside and opend the throttle plate with a screw dirver and cranked, truck then started and revved up, tunred off the vehicle, this leads me to put the IAC module/valve/controler to blame, so i removed the throttle body and cleaned/inspected the asembly, removed the cruise controle assembly and what i believe to be the iacv on the right side, after reasembaling the truck will start, but idle surges badly. from here i am not sure of the next step to diagnose, or if any one has worked on this problem or has a picture of an iacv i would greatly appreciat it, thank you

#2 ·
If the truck started after removing the intake, check for air flow through the intake, i.e. jammed up air filter, debris in the fender well obstructing the airflow, etc. Get a can of MAF cleaner and carefully clean the sensor, let dry, and replace.

Since you manually cranked the throttle plate open with a screwdriver and it seemed to get you on your way, make sure that the throttle plate edges and the intake throat are clean. The plate might just have gotten stuck in the closed position. And, since you have the idle air controller (IAC) off already, clean that as well and make sure that you reassemble it to the throttle body correctly.

I would then check carefully for any loose vacuum hoses.

Remember, after doing all this, your idle will be erratic for a week or so until the ECU gets its head adjusted back onto the correct settings. This is normal.

If the above steps don't get you a steady (albeit abnormally high) idle, and no CEL codes are being thrown, I'm outta ideas. Hopefully, one of the members has a schematic of the correct IAC installation handy to post up.

Good luck!

#3 ·
well thank you for the advise, i reasembled and reset the pcm, then the truck ran good , except for the throttle was extreamly in acurate, you would get no responce until you were almost to the floor, altho once there you could still controle the throttle, just alot harder to do because of the small range of movement that you would get responce, but i assume this is because of the pcm's relearn prosses, also trans shifts hard/also relearn i assume.
after tuning the truck off and going to restart the idle surge came right back, until i reset the pcm again, then ran fine minus the previously stated conditions. so far this prosses has repeaded it self every time i start the truck then i have to reset the pcm, im not sure but would this indicate a failing tps/iacv assembaly.

sorry for all of the questions regarding toyota's i had to work at the ford dealership and i have no acces to toyota scan tools or diagnosic softwear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.