Fifth wheel towing with crewmax

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Fifth wheel towing with crewmax

Liked
    0 times

Default Fifth wheel towing with crewmax

I was reading my owners manual and saw this on page 475.

"Current fifth-wheel trailer designs are not compatible with Short bed (crewmax models)"

thats a bummer as I was planning on getting one down the road (2-3yrs time frame)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Fifth wheel towing with crewmax

Yes, I was originally looking at the crewmax untill the RV dealer told us that you needed at least a 6' bed to pull the fifth wheel that we wanted to purchase. I went with the double cab with the 6.5' bed. I'm very happy with it. I have a 4yr old and a 7yr old and they have plenty of room in the back seat. I'm 6' and have sat in the back with them a couple of times and was very comfortable.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

People are doing it with some sort of an extension. It's not recommended by Toyota tho.
    2007 SR5 CrewMax, SiLver w/5.7 V8
    >Bakflip Tonneau Cover.
    >Rampage Running Boards.
    >Heavy Duty 6 ft. Rubber Bed Mat
    out of my 2000 Tundra cut to fit!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by avnut View Post
    I was reading my owners manual and saw this on page 475.

"Current fifth-wheel trailer designs are not compatible with Short bed (crewmax models)"

thats a bummer as I was planning on getting one down the road (2-3yrs time frame)
    YEP. Same reason I went with the D-cab. Had just bought an 07 26 ft Sandpiper 5th wheel and decided to upgrade to the 07 Tundra from an 06 for the towing ability, wanted the Crewmax but just wouldn't work. There's really plenty of room in the Double cab so I ended up just as happy with it.
    2007 Tundra 5.7 DC TRD Radiant Red, 2 1/2 Revtek w/ 33/12.50 R18 Toyo MT's wrapped around Chrome Ultra Goliaths, Bushwhacker pockets, Unichip
    2008 Tundra 5.7 CrewMax TRD, JBL, Sunroof, Slate Metallic - just got it, leaving it stock for now.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Well, PullRite has a SuperSlide that supposedly works for CrewMax best. See:

SuperSlide

The thing about the Tundra is that you have to choose between the tow package or the payload package (you can't have both). So your 5th wheel choices may be limited no matter what bed you have.

What I have noticed is that most 5th wheel trailers seem to be geared for two people. We have the crew max so that we can carry our three little ones with comfort. I have yet to find a 5th wheel that fits those little ones as comfortably. When the little ones move on, and we move up to the big fivers, then we can also replace our CrewMax with a regular cab Tundra.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Just did a trial fit up with a Weekend Warrior 5th wheel today. WOW it was like the manufacturer used a crewmax to decide pin box positioning. Fits like a glove, with lots of clearance for turning. No off-set hitch or slider hitch needed. Can not comment on other trailer makes though.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

is anyone towing a goosneck trailer with Crew Max?
    -Greg
    (Sold to) References: keninsb, BamaDave, Sweet Mercy, Daily-Tundra, Hootbro, andito77, sodar, kcpake, roadking3, TACOMA915, barna6vi, matrix77, bds13, msaltx07, guyjones10, Marky_Mark, lucentking, dbllung, goingnorth52, TeXas_TRD, Verchu , lestodd40@hotmail.com, ajbush@hughes.net
    more references: bimmerforums.com, caraudio.com, audiogon.com, ebay.com

www.abcregeneracja.com
    ABC-Regeneracja: profesjonalna naprawa oraz regeneracja bloków i zaworów ABC zawieszenia Mercedes S, CL, SL

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by thumper-darryl View Post
    Just did a trial fit up with a Weekend Warrior 5th wheel today. WOW it was like the manufacturer used a crewmax to decide pin box positioning. Fits like a glove, with lots of clearance for turning. No off-set hitch or slider hitch needed. Can not comment on other trailer makes though.
    Please post pics and details on Weekend Warrior and hitch setup when delivered. Must be new '08 trailer?
    Thanks.

Don't argue with an insomniac. Frankenstein's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by campertom View Post
    Well, PullRite has a SuperSlide that supposedly works for CrewMax best. See:

SuperSlide

The thing about the Tundra is that you have to choose between the tow package or the payload package (you can't have both). So your 5th wheel choices may be limited no matter what bed you have.

What I have noticed is that most 5th wheel trailers seem to be geared for two people. We have the crew max so that we can carry our three little ones with comfort. I have yet to find a 5th wheel that fits those little ones as comfortably. When the little ones move on, and we move up to the big fivers, then we can also replace our CrewMax with a regular cab Tundra.

It's a trailer ideally set up for families. Sure, it's a bit big for the Tundra (see specs, below) but with air bags for the extra weight there's no doubt that this truck will handle it. The rated payload is NOT due to frame strength, rear axle size, braking ability, or towing power. It's due to suspension designed for ride, and inadequate tires; both easy to fix.

Cougar Model 314EFS Specifications
    Weight 8350
    Carrying Capacity 3335
    Hitch 1525
    Length 35' 4
    Width 8'
    Height 12' 0
    Fresh Water 45 gal.
    Waste Water 28 gal.
    Gray Water 56 gal.
    LPG 60
    Tire Size 225/75D15D
    Rim Size 15 X 6

Not all 5th wheels are set up for two people only
    [Frankenstein's Monster]
    Proud Member CBTMA

Radiant Red

2007 Double Cab Limited w/Graphite Leather Interior
    Factory Nav, Sonar, and 10 spkr 440W JBL stereo with Sirius (sweet)

Cold Weather Pkg and Block Heater. Brushed SS Stepboards, TS Sticker
    Tires: BFG All Terrain T/A KO LT265 65 R 18, Diamondback SE Tonneau Cover.
    Curt Front Receiver, custom 8" extension, & Warn 8000lb receiver mount winch back or front,

Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller DSP 16,000 lb 5th wheel hitch Firestone Ride Rite 2445 Air Bags & TRD Rear Sway Bar (Best, Cheapest Mod!)

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by PENER View Post
    is anyone towing a goosneck trailer with Crew Max?
    ...Me

Liked
    9 times
    Images

They make at least half a doz. different style hitches to tow with the crewmax. I would use any of them, that being said I tow with a dc and love it . I want to see the pin hitch on a weekend warrior. I would trade my slider hitch and change pin hitches for that set up.
    Charlie & Linda

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

That couger fifth wheel is the same one we have I think. I can't remember our exact model number. It has a bedroom in the back for the kids. I pull it with the double cab no problems. I try not to pull it anymore than necessary with any of the tanks loaded, but I have, and can barely tell it's back there.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by cwit View Post
    They make at least half a doz. different style hitches to tow with the crewmax. I would use any of them, that being said I tow with a dc and love it . I want to see the pin hitch on a weekend warrior. I would trade my slider hitch and change pin hitches for that set up.
    the only problem is the picture you uploaded is a double cab

Supercharged Member FIVEPOINTSEVEN's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy203 View Post
    the only problem is the picture you uploaded is a double cab
    Because he drives a DC and that pic is in his signature every time he posts.
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf*cker in the valley"