Does a sway bar help when towing?

  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

    Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Does a sway bar help when towing?

  1. #1
    Lurking Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    albuquerque, nm
    Posts
    49
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Does a sway bar help when towing?

    I have a 22' pontoon boat (3000lbs)and soon a 20 foot travel trailer (4000lbs) to pull. I pull my boat with my 2007 4.7l dc TRD 4x4 just fine. However the 200 mile trip I do has a few big hills and curvy sections with crosswinds that can be strong. Would a sway bar help in a situation such as this or is it intended more for cornering, etc?

    I do light offroading in mud and sand and understand the affect it might have on the rear axle. However, I am mainly looking for safety when I am towing the boat or trailer since my family is always with me.
    Last edited by winboys; 01-25-2008 at 02:18 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Supercharged Member FIVEPOINTSEVEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach
    Posts
    4,492
    Liked
    6 times
    Images
    17
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    From what I've read its a waste of $200 or whatever it costs. I don't think that would help with towing...I could see maybe more heavy duty shocks, airbags, etc helping with towing though. Better shocks or even an add-a-leaf system like from Toytec might help keep the rear more stable. IMO
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp



    "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf*cker in the valley"

  4. #3
    Junior Member FS 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Puyallup
    Posts
    368
    Liked
    1 times
    Images
    20
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    Quote Originally Posted by FIVEPOINTSEVEN View Post
    From what I've read its a waste of $200 or whatever it costs. I don't think that would help with towing...I could see maybe more heavy duty shocks, airbags, etc helping with towing though. Better shocks or even an add-a-leaf system like from Toytec might help keep the rear more stable. IMO
    I don't know where you read that but i bet most of the people that actually own the trd sway bar will tell you a different story.
    like me.
    I own the trd sway bar just put it on not to long ago and do notice better control.
    as far as towing i have a 29ft 7k trailer and i have noticed a difference in towing that with the sway bar on.
    any little bit helps.
    heavy duty shocks? these won't help much with sway in my opinion.
    air bags will and i intend on getting them for my truck. that's next on the list. also look into a sway control arm for your hitch for windy days if you are really worried. i very rarely use mine but always bring it along.
    and a add a leaf ? that will stiffin up the suspension but i doubt it will help when going around a corner pulling a trailer.
    think about how that works and how a shock works the have movement up and down a sway bar works from side to side.
    Last edited by FS 2000; 01-25-2008 at 02:38 PM.

  5. #4
    Junior Member Mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Conroe, Texas
    Posts
    258
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    I have heard that the TRD swaybar IS the best aftermarket mod.

  6. #5
    Happy Member 300 ULTRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    House in South East IDAHO
    Posts
    292
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    +2 I do like mine.

  7. #6
    Supercharged Member FIVEPOINTSEVEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach
    Posts
    4,492
    Liked
    6 times
    Images
    17
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    Wow I didn't just make this stuff up bro's...A while back people were saying it wasn't that great of a product for the price. I haven't personally experienced it on the 5.7 Tundra so maybe I'm wrong...If I were towing something heavy I would want more stiffness in the rear suspension so you wouldn't get so much bouncing and rebound from the thing you were pulling. I think that would help more than a sway bar. Again this is just IMO. A combo of sway bar and stiffer suspension would probably be the best solution along with the sway control arm. Hey fs2000 you mentioned that the shocks were straight up and down and how would heavy duty shocks help...Well actually if you look under the back of the truck the shocks angle in towards the middle of the truck and the leaf springs are also angled on purpose for lateral stability. I think the sway bar would help the least.
    Last edited by FIVEPOINTSEVEN; 01-25-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp



    "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf*cker in the valley"

  8. #7
    Junior Member FS 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Puyallup
    Posts
    368
    Liked
    1 times
    Images
    20
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    Quote Originally Posted by FIVEPOINTSEVEN View Post
    Wow I didn't just make this stuff up bro's...A while back people were saying it wasn't that great of a product for the price. I haven't personally experienced it on the 5.7 Tundra so maybe I'm wrong...If I were towing something heavy I would want more stiffness in the rear suspension so you wouldn't get so much bouncing and rebound from the thing you were pulling. I think that would help more than a sway bar. Again this is just IMO. A combo of sway bar and stiffer suspension would probably be the best solution along with the sway control arm. Hey fs2000 you mentioned that the shocks were straight up and down and how would heavy duty shocks help...Well actually if you look under the back of the truck the shocks angle in towards the middle of the truck and the leaf springs are also angled on purpose for lateral stability. I think the sway bar would help the least.
    straight up and down is just a an easy way of putting it. when you go around a corner with a load the shock will give thus pulling the truck and trailer out to one side. this can be very unsafe i think any one of us who has pulled a trailer can attest that there are times you come around a corner just a little to fast and the whole back side decides to give ya a tug.
    air bags fill up and give resitance to that and having your shocks bottom out.
    the sway bar is mounted to the frame and rear end when the weight from going around a corner hits one side or the other it will transfer the weight through the bar the bar will bend under the pressure and will give a little but will keep everything in place as the frame and rear end are now tied together. and this will keep the truck from getting over loaded on just one side. that's the best i can do describe what it does. all the other things mention do help with ride i just don't see how they would really help with the sway
    but hey we all have our opinios
    Hey 5.7 i did manage to actually install my own sway bar so i do know what the shocks look like
    just giving you a bad time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tundratrd07.JPG 
Views:	460 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	27895  
    Last edited by FS 2000; 01-25-2008 at 03:25 PM.

  9. #8
    Supercharged Member FIVEPOINTSEVEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach
    Posts
    4,492
    Liked
    6 times
    Images
    17
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    Well then...Since your this vast knowledge bank of information on sway bars...Should I get the TRD sway bar if I have a 3" lift?? I'm being serious btw.
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp



    "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf*cker in the valley"

  10. #9
    Junior Member mytundra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Windsor, CO
    Posts
    197
    Liked
    0 times
    Images
    3
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    Quote Originally Posted by FIVEPOINTSEVEN View Post
    Well then...Since your this vast knowledge bank of information on sway bars...Should I get the TRD sway bar if I have a 3" lift?? I'm being serious btw.
    +1

    Thanks
    2007 CrewMax Limited

  11. #10
    Junior Member FS 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Puyallup
    Posts
    368
    Liked
    1 times
    Images
    20
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    Quote Originally Posted by FIVEPOINTSEVEN View Post
    Well then...Since your this vast knowledge bank of information on sway bars...Should I get the TRD sway bar if I have a 3" lift?? I'm being serious btw.
    more than likely you would need to cut the end links and lenghten them 3 inches due to the lift. it can be done as others have done it with lowered trucks they just shorten them.
    I really wish everyone had a chance to try a truck with the sway bar attached then go back to one without one you will notice a big difference on how it goes around corners.
    i'm by far a expert on these things but have installed more than one sway bar. i also had one on my 2000 tundra. and me and a buddy use to play around with vintage road racing a little.

  12. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    193
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    Quote Originally Posted by FS 2000 View Post
    straight up and down is just a an easy way of putting it. when you go around a corner with a load the shock will give thus pulling the truck and trailer out to one side. this can be very unsafe i think any one of us who has pulled a trailer can attest that there are times you come around a corner just a little to fast and the whole back side decides to give ya a tug.
    air bags fill up and give resitance to that and having your shocks bottom out.
    the sway bar is mounted to the frame and rear end when the weight from going around a corner hits one side or the other it will transfer the weight through the bar the bar will bend under the pressure and will give a little but will keep everything in place as the frame and rear end are now tied together. and this will keep the truck from getting over loaded on just one side. that's the best i can do describe what it does. all the other things mention do help with ride i just don't see how they would really help with the sway
    but hey we all have our opinios
    Hey 5.7 i did manage to actually install my own sway bar so i do know what the shocks look like
    just giving you a bad time

    Adjustable shocks would help alot. When you are about to tow turn the stiffness up. That way around the corner the inside shock will not let the suspension move or shock extend as easily.

    adjustable shocks, and swaybar would be a big improvement

  13. #12
    Supercharged Member FIVEPOINTSEVEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach
    Posts
    4,492
    Liked
    6 times
    Images
    17
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    Quote Originally Posted by FS 2000 View Post
    more than likely you would need to cut the end links and lenghten them 3 inches due to the lift. it can be done as others have done it with lowered trucks they just shorten them.
    I really wish everyone had a chance to try a truck with the sway bar attached then go back to one without one you will notice a big difference on how it goes around corners.
    i'm by far a expert on these things but have installed more than one sway bar. i also had one on my 2000 tundra. and me and a buddy use to play around with vintage road racing a little.
    Yea I have been in a few cars with fully built suspensions, motors, etc...From Corvettes to Mustangs to Supras to tons of others. Just wasn't really familiar with how the sway bar would work on a truck. Thanks for the info.
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp



    "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf*cker in the valley"

  14. #13
    Junior Member FS 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Puyallup
    Posts
    368
    Liked
    1 times
    Images
    20
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    Quote Originally Posted by 300 ULTRA View Post
    +2 I do like mine.
    hey 300 ultra love that avatar
    i thought about one something close to that but wasn't sure if it was ok. to do so.

  15. #14
    Lurking Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    37
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    I have the sway bar and just installed Rancho RS9000XL. I have them set to 3 and the ride is smooth now. I will be towing a 31' Airstream in the spring and I will turn them up to 9 then. I got them for 86.99 shipped apiece from pssautomotive.com.

  16. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,130
    Liked
    5 times
    Images
    25
    Rep Power
    3482

    Default Re: Does a sway bar help when towing?

    I think the sway bar, if it does what it says, should improve towing. The conditions you describe could lead to a trailer that sways. Lots of definitions, but if not controlled, sway can become divergent which woul cause an accident.

    But the sway bar will not eliminate sway. The best and most effective way to control trailer sway is proper loading of the trailer. Strive for 10% of the overall weight of the trailer to be on the hitch. More is better, especially for a travel trailer. Boats can sometimes get away with a little less because their aerodynamic shape provides a restoring force that a big box trailer does not. You must measure your hitch weight and the best way I have found to do this is with a Sherline hitch scale. Costs money, though. You can get the hitch weight with a 300 lbs bathroom scale using a lever arm as well.

    If I were driving in the conditions you describe, I would want at least a friction sway bar. They are not great, but are better than nothing. Best solution is a weight ditributing hitch with integrated sway control like an Eaul-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam. But those sometimes don't work well with a boat. But they work great with a travel trailer.

    If you want more detailed input, stop by the towing forum and we can help you out.

    Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •