My rv towing my tundra

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: My rv towing my tundra

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default My rv towing my tundra

What do I need to do this?
    What do I need to consider?
    Has anyone here doing this? I dont want to get another vehicle to tow since the tundra already has the wheelchair lift installed.
    Claudia

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: My rv towing my tundra

Hi. Need more info. Which tundra do you have? Is it 5.7L and which bed? Short or long?

What rv do you want? Travel trailer? Fifth wheel? That will start off the questions...

Liked
    0 times
    Images

If you have a 4X4 most will allow you to put the transfuse case in neutral, for 4-down flat towing. If you have a standard transmission you just shift into neutral.

If you don't have a standard or a 4X4, then you'll need some kind of drivetrain disconnect system. A tow dolly won't work on a rear wheel drive truck (I've seen it tired, and it doesn't work) due to the bumper overhang past the rear wheels.
    FunFinder4
    '05 2500 Dodge DC 5.9L Cummins, cheap X2
    '05 Jayco Jayflight 27BH TT
    '06 Tundra DC TRD; Prodigy brake controller, Cyberdyne transmission gauge, ScanGauge II; Sold
    '05 T-160 Shadow Cruiser TT; Sold
    http://community.webshots.com/user/Funfinder4

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Tenison View Post
    Hi. Need more info. Which tundra do you have? Is it 5.7L and which bed? Short or long?

What rv do you want? Travel trailer? Fifth wheel? That will start off the questions...
    It is an 2006 double cab long bed.
    We have a 1990 Fleetwood Bounder 34ft.

Supercharged Member Only Toyota for me's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernGal View Post
    What do I need to do this?
    What do I need to consider?
    Has anyone here doing this? I dont want to get another vehicle to tow since the tundra already has the wheelchair lift installed.
    Claudia
    You oughta read some of tomhole's posts. He has a 1st generation tundra like you do & tows a house trailer quite frequently.

You need the tow pkg on your truck. You'll have a transmission cooler, receiver hitch, & 7-pin wire connector if you have it (most did).
    You need to consider the weight of this trailer. Ideal weight is under 5k lbs dry.
    There's a lot of people doing this with either tundra with good results. I wouldn't be worried about it unless your trailer weighs over 7k lbs loaded. Usually the difference between dry weights & loaded are about 1500lbs.

You'll also need a good brake controller. pplmotorhomes.com has the prodigy p-3 at the best price of $129 + $20 mail in rebate. $109+shipping. I don't remember if you had the 06 or not. But if you do the wire pigtail should be in your truck already so it would be easy to install. Simple plug & play.
    Don't go cheap on this contoller. Others have and they've all regretted it & bought this one.

Then you need a good weight distribution hitch for the trailer. Equilizer is a good one to have. Next you should have at least 6-ply tire's on your truck. If not, get them before you tow a long ways.

Then just make sure all the maintenance is kept up on your truck.
    Transmission fluid clean, differential fluids clean, coolant clean, etc...
    Just follow the maintenance guide for the truck. Not schedule A. Use schedule B if you're towing a lot. I think B is the one?

Liked
    5 times
    Images

I think so far we have it backwards. Methinks SouthernGal is asking for information on how to tow the Tundra BEHIND the Bounder. I saw that you might have asked this question in dinghy towing on Rv.net. Is that the same Claudia? If so, lots of good advice given there.

I can't add anything other than your truck weighs at least 5000 lbs empty. You mentioned 3750 lbs on rv.net, but that is not right. My empty 2005 DC 4x2 weighs 5000 lbs. I would weigh it to be sure. Not sure what your Bounder is rated to tow, but most gassers are rated at 5,000 lbs or so. Something to think about.

Tom

Liked
    0 times
    Images

My '06 DC TRD 2wd weighs 5050 lbs with me in it. I think 5,000 lbs is a good average weight as long as your truck is still mostly stock.

What is your other car? Why tow a DC truck behind a motor home? It's a lot of rolling weight and $$. Is buying a cheap 4cyl standard transmission car an option?
    FunFinder4
    '05 2500 Dodge DC 5.9L Cummins, cheap X2
    '05 Jayco Jayflight 27BH TT
    '06 Tundra DC TRD; Prodigy brake controller, Cyberdyne transmission gauge, ScanGauge II; Sold
    '05 T-160 Shadow Cruiser TT; Sold
    http://community.webshots.com/user/Funfinder4