Question Do you insure your trailer?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you insure your trailer?

Liked
    0 times

Default Do you insure your trailer?

I'm considering adding insurance coverage for my 22 ft enclosed trailer and haven't looked into it much detail yet (specifically by calling my agent and asking about it).

My understanding is that if it is a non-commercial trailer (mine is), you don't need liability insurance on the trailer because it is covered by the insurance of the vehicle that is towing it. Insurance wasn't needed to get a plate or register the trailer in NC.

This wouldn't cover it if it was stolen or (more likely) I manage to run it into something and damage the trailer itself.

Thinking of adding some coverage during the first couple of years while I'm still new to towing and more likely to screw something up (and while the trailer is new/more valuable to lose).

How have you covered your trailer? Any claim experiences or horror stories?
    Tow: 2009 Tundra DC SR5 5.7 Mods and Adds: Prodigy, under seat storage, Avic-F90BT Nav w/ HD module, backup camera, TRD 18w/ CrossContact LX e-rated,
    glass break sensor, Homelink Mirror, Hardwired Valentine One w/ Blendmount, TRD rear sway, Valor tip, bed step, G4 tonneau Next: 35% tint, helper springs or bags
    Haul 2008 Continental Cargo Enclosed Car Hauler 22ft V-nose, Reese WDH
    Daily: 2005 Lexus LS430 Ultra-Luxury * PCS * ML * Rear Fridge * Massaging and Reclining Rear Seats * Vaistech SL-I * Coastal Lockpick
    Track: 1998 BMW E36 M3/4 track car (wife's)
    Float: Sea Ray 240 Sundeck

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Don't argue with an insomniac. Frankenstein's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times

Default Re: Do you insure your trailer?

You can add it to your police for a couple hundred dollars a year. IIRC it actually can go under your homeowner's policy (at least here) so a potential claim won't go on your auto claims insurance. For the more expensive camper / travel trailers it's worth it.
    [Frankenstein's Monster]
    Proud Member CBTMA

Radiant Red

2007 Double Cab Limited w/Graphite Leather Interior
    Factory Nav, Sonar, and 10 spkr 440W JBL stereo with Sirius (sweet)

Cold Weather Pkg and Block Heater. Brushed SS Stepboards, TS Sticker
    Tires: BFG All Terrain T/A KO LT265 65 R 18, Diamondback SE Tonneau Cover.
    Curt Front Receiver, custom 8" extension, & Warn 8000lb receiver mount winch back or front,

Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller DSP 16,000 lb 5th wheel hitch Firestone Ride Rite 2445 Air Bags & TRD Rear Sway Bar (Best, Cheapest Mod!)

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I have it on mine, but then again, the bank makes me
    Pulling Open Road Puresport 38-3L-5 Toyhauler!

Veteran Member
    Liked
    18 times

Yes, I insure our camper, and always have (well... except for the first one, which was a used pop-up). If you're in a wreck and it's your fault, the camper isn't covered by the auto policy alone. Camper insurance is very cheap.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGS4 View Post
    My understanding is that if it is a non-commercial trailer (mine is), you don't need liability insurance on the trailer because it is covered by the insurance of the vehicle that is towing it. Insurance wasn't needed to get a plate or register the trailer in NC.

This wouldn't cover it if it was stolen or (more likely) I manage to run it into something and damage the trailer itself.
    Make sure you check with your insurance. I just checked with mine and my auto policy does not cover trailers, you have to have a separate policy.

So, while your state may not require, your insurance might if you want them to fix anything that happens.

Good Luck!

James
    Win or Lose, but Finish the Game

Liked
    0 times

We got full coverage on our new to us camper just the other week.
    Its very cheap ours is $138 per year with $500 ded.

I imagine your enclosed trailer would be even cheaper than a camper.
    12 Tacoma DCSB Trd O/R
    09 Corolla S
    06 Tundra DC - sold

Liked
    2207 times
    Images

I tow a 14' open utility trailer for my landscaping company. It is insured under a separate policy through State Farm (the insurer for my truck) for an additional $12/year. The trailer is owned by and registered to my company as a piece of business equipment and not as a personal trailer.
    https://www.facebook.com/septemberskyrocks
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Trailer coverage will vary by state and by insurance company. Some will extend liability coverage while its attached to your truck. Best thing to ask yerself is, if something happens to it, can I afford to pay for any damage or loss out of my pocket. If not, I'd look into insurance coverage....

Supercharged Member Only Toyota for me's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Yeah, trailers are pretty cheap to insure so i have it on our 5er. Our gooseneck horsetrailer does not have insurance on it, but it's owned by myself, my dad, and my brother. So at $16k purchase price, that's only $5333 each.

My dad's always told me if you can't afford the $ loss if it got totaled, then you'd better have insurance. We've decided that anything worth more than $10k will have full coverage, period.

I don't insure our 16' tandom trailer, nor our small utility trailer, and i dont' insure our ATV's. Our boat gets full coverage with extra medical, but this is a no brainer.

What you really should ask yourself is: ' if this trailer went off a cliff tomorrow, would it really hurt my pocketbook?' Your financial situation should dictate your decision, IMO.

I also have the opinion that MOST things are not worth insuring, and insurance for the most part is gambling. JMO though.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I was told that, without the insurance, the liability of the trailer and contents gets murky, with respect to home insurance. If you are towing, then damage to the trailer might be covered in an accident, but the contents might be on your home policy. But, if a tree falls on your trailer at home or at a campground, that would be a home policy claim. If a flash flood in a campground takes out your trailer, you might not be covered at all (if you don't have flood insurance on your home). If the trailer is included on your auto policy, then all of the above would be an auto policy claim.

When home insurance gets involved, the home insurance companies get twitchy and have a habit of canceling your homeowner's policy (after the claim is settled). Also, home coverage details have different deductibles and limitations than auto insurance policies - so you often end up with less of the loss covered than you thought you would have.

We added the trailer to our auto policy. No claims so far.

Liked
    2 times

It costs me $40/year for full replacement coverage on my trailer, so a no-brainer for me.
    ~Michael
    2013 Scion FR-S (First 86 Car) / 2006 Toyota Sienna Limited

Tundra is gone ):

Mods: Tekonsha P3; Tow Mirrors; TRD Wheels; TPMS Pipe Bomb; Fold Down Rear Seat

Liked
    114 times
    Images

I would for sure! My ex-brother in law just lost a $10,000 trailer and his RC planes when some drunk pulled out in front of him on the night of 4th of July. It was midnight, and in the middle of no where on top of that. Luckily none of his family was badly injured. Everything was totaled to include the trailer, RC planes and his bada$$ lifted & modded Ford truck. GIECO had said that the trailer would be insured since the truck was pulling it. He found out different once it was time to make good on what they said. Only the truck was covered, and luckily he had GAP insurance, as he still owed quite a bit on the truck.

"They Were Just Jealous That My Tundra Pulled More Kitties Than A Bowl Of Milk"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.