2010 tundra and fifth wheel towing

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2010 tundra and fifth wheel towing

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2010 tundra and fifth wheel towing

We have just purchased a 2010 tundra with the idea of buying a (cougar) fifth wheel - I'm wondering if anyone out there tows a fifth wheel with the 2010? I'm concerned that the bed height will not allow enough clearence. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supercharged Member Only Toyota for me's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: 2010 tundra and fifth wheel towing

Quote Originally Posted by Lindab View Post
    We have just purchased a 2010 tundra with the idea of buying a (cougar) fifth wheel - I'm wondering if anyone out there tows a fifth wheel with the 2010? I'm concerned that the bed height will not allow enough clearence. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
    There's plenty of info here on this forum if you do a quick search.

I tow a 5er with my 07 ( which is the same as your 2010 ) and it works out well. Ideally, you should try to keep the pin weight around the 1200 lb range if possible. Cougar fifth wheel's are a really nice trailer, and there's a couple guys on this forum who tow one.

The bed height is a concern with the tall bed rails on the tundra, but it's workable thru pin height adjustment and/or a simple trailer height adjustment. All this can be done at the rv dealership, and IMO you should do a hook-up-test BEFORE you purchase the trailer.
    I had to do both the pin adjustment and lift on my 5er, but it all works out well now with about 7" of bed rail clearance. 7" is ideal, and 5.5" is minimum. Depending on where you travel will determine whether more is better, or if minumum will suffice.
    I've got the 6.5' bed, and i also bought a $100 extended ball which helps a lot with turning raduis, plus it gains an extra inch of height on the trailer. This is a gooseneck setup though, but i'd imagine there's something available in the standard fifth wheel setup.

Don't argue with an insomniac. Frankenstein's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times

Depending on what type of 5th wheel hitch you have you can raise the hitch plate itself, lower the pin on the trailer, or both. I dropped the pin on my trailer and have 6" between the bed rails and the bottom of the trailer, which is plenty of clearance. If you find after this, that your trailer has too much of a nose-up attitude, you can also look at the axles, they can sometimes be flipped or blocked. I didn't need to do this with my Cougar 5th wheel however, it is very close to level.
    [Frankenstein's Monster]
    Proud Member CBTMA

Radiant Red

2007 Double Cab Limited w/Graphite Leather Interior
    Factory Nav, Sonar, and 10 spkr 440W JBL stereo with Sirius (sweet)

Cold Weather Pkg and Block Heater. Brushed SS Stepboards, TS Sticker
    Tires: BFG All Terrain T/A KO LT265 65 R 18, Diamondback SE Tonneau Cover.
    Curt Front Receiver, custom 8" extension, & Warn 8000lb receiver mount winch back or front,

Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller DSP 16,000 lb 5th wheel hitch Firestone Ride Rite 2445 Air Bags & TRD Rear Sway Bar (Best, Cheapest Mod!)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks very much for the info! We are off this very morning for a "test hitch" - if all goes well we will be the proud owners of a brand new cougar high country!

Liked
    9 times
    Images

All trucks raised their box sides in 07 good luck with the new cougar.
    Charlie & Linda

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lindab View Post
    Thanks very much for the info! We are off this very morning for a "test hitch" - if all goes well we will be the proud owners of a brand new cougar high country!
    Outstanding! That's the best way to determine if it will work for you. Take some measurements on clearance and maybe some pics and then come back. There are a lot of expert 5er towers on here that can help you determine if you are good to go. The salesman will likely tell you that you are good even if you aren't.

Tom

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Well it's official - we brought her home today!!! O my what a beauty! It's a cougar high country model 291RLS - brand new technology - light as a feather and our 2010 tundra pulls her beautifully! no problem with the bed rail height. If i can figure out how to post a photo i will do so! Open road here we come!

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Waiting for the photo and good luck with the camper. I have about 20,000 miles towing my 5er.
    Charlie & Linda

Liked
    0 times

I have a 2007 Jayco 30.5 RLS. I am using the Pullrite SuperGlide 16K. I lowered the pin box as low as it would go and ended up with about 4" clearance from trailer to truck rail. In was hoping that would be sufficiant. It was not. When I pulled it out of storage down a moderate grade and onto the four lane the trailer come in contact with the truck rail and scraped up the protective plastic rail guard. Pullrite has a 3" riser kit which I installed and now have plenty of clearance. Trailer rides level. Love the Superglide, don't worry about knocking out my rear window. I have put it close to 90 degree turn just to watch it do its thing.
    08 Tundra, Radiant Red, DC, TP,16K Super Glide. Firestone Ride-Rite Bags

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Lindab,
    We are also looking at the High Country 291RL. What hitch are you running. Are you satisfied with the cab clearance?

Thanks, PatRat

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.