Tow/Haul VS S Mode

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Tow/Haul VS S Mode

Liked
    0 times

Default Tow/Haul VS S Mode

2010 DC 5.7 TRD 4X4 w/tow package

Having my Equilizer hitch with sway control swapped over to the new truck for my toy hauler this weekend and wanted to get some opinions. My trailer (18ft) is about 6-6,500 loaded with motorcycles and water/gear, for everyone towing do you normally use D with tow/haul or S mode? On my old truck I used to tow in 3rd with the 4 speed transmission, figured the Toyota would not pull the load in 6th using D. Better to run in S mode using 5th or T/H in D?

Friend of mine owns an 08 Titan and we just got back from Beaver Run out near Ohio, very impressed with his truck towing. Put it in 4th and ran about 65-70 up the PA Turnpike, it only downshifted to 3rd a couple times on long massive hills, otherwise it maintained the speed pulling most grades. Titan is way better then my old Chevy Avalanche 5.3 with 4.10 pulling, hoping the Tundra does well.
    Last edited by Mknj235; 06-16-2010 at 06:44 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    16 times

Default Re: Tow/Haul VS S Mode

I put my truck in T/H mode and use S drive at the same time.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

I accellerate in D and Tow/Haul. That gives you wide open throttle for the accel with the modified shift points. If you accel in tow/haul S, it won't default to WOT accelleration. Once up to speed, I put it in S and select the gear that the terrain allows. Usually 5th.

Tom

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tomhole View Post
    I accellerate in D and Tow/Haul. That gives you wide open throttle for the accel with the modified shift points. If you accel in tow/haul S, it won't default to WOT accelleration. Once up to speed, I put it in S and select the gear that the terrain allows. Usually 5th.

Tom
    X2

I also exclusively use S mode when going up or down long grades, this provides better engine braking and speed control. Gas is way cheaper than brake replacement.
    2007 5.7 DC 4 x 2
    Slate Metallic
    Mods: Prodigy Brake Controller see gallery for location,
    Fold down rear seat mod
    Suction Cup Holder In Place of coin holder
    Bling Lights BL 500K fog lights installed (What can I say, I was one of the lucky winners!)

Liked
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by tomhole View Post

Tom

Did not know that....guess I'll be changing how I drive.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

When you are in S mode, Tow/haul button no longer does anything.
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC CTD
    2007 Tahoe Lighthauler 23FS

Liked
    0 times

Towed the loaded trailer back Saturday morning about 25 miles after getting the hitch setup. Truck is unreal compared to my old Chevy, pulls and brakes worlds better. Was using S mode in 5 with and without tow haul and T/H holds the gears longer and firms the shifts for sure. This goes against everyone saying T/H does not work in S mode but without it on the trans shifted at its normal low RPM points. Using D with T/H it actually shifted into 6th a couple times but kicked out quickly at the smallest incline. Looking forward to the first long haul with it in a couple weeks.
    2010 DC 5.7 4X4 TRD Slate Metallic
    2004 Yamaha R6 Track
    2010 Aprilia RSV4 Street
    2008 Weekend Warrior SX18 Toy Hauler
    2012 Kawasaki KX450F

Banned
    Liked
    751 times
    Images

living in the netherlands we may tow up to 3,500 kg., otherwise the truck has to have an electrical air break system...

that said, i do tow trailers 75% of the time, these trailers weigh the maximum ( gvw 3,500 kg. ) and it's my experience that towing in D with the tow/haul on works perfect..!!

why should you drive in S-5 when the auto shifts to 6 in D..?? isn't that what an automatic gearbox is made for, it finds its best towing momentum...

up till now i have driven 70,000 km. / 43,500 miles and the brakes are still in good shape...

( and don't say the netherlands are flat so that's different, i drive in belgium, france, germany, england, italy and switzerland as well... )

dikkie

Liked
    0 times

I tow a 7500lb trailer with a rock crawler on it. I use the T/H mode for most city driving, but when I get into the Mtns I go straight to S mode. I am better able to keep my RPM's where I want them and keep my speed up. It works really well for climbing, as well as downhill decents. For long steep dececnts I go to third gear and use the brakes minimally to maintain a speed around 60 mph. I use both T/H and Sport mode depending on the terrain, both have their benifits.
    2009 DCSB 5.7 4x4....for towing the toy below
    2000 Tacoma Linked, locked, and blown one ton monster on 40's!