Tundra towing 5th wheel

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tundra towing 5th wheel

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Tundra towing 5th wheel

I recently bought a new Tundra Double cab, SR5, 5.7l, with towing package. This weekend I bought a 5th wheel with 7800# dry weight and 1400# tongue weight. Besides electric brakes and hitch , should I install air bags and/or different rear tires?? Other stuff?? Primary use is interstate travel!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    8 times

Default Re: Tundra towing 5th wheel

I believe that you are pretty much guaranteed to be over the limits of your Tundra with that trailer. What does your payload sticker in the door say?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for your response. Payload is 1455# on door. Can't the tongue or pin weight be altered depending on location of the load in the trailer? And I'm not sure if the pin weight is considered a loaded trailer. Your thoughts on towing.

Liked
    18 times
    Images

Congratulations on the new 5th, pinweight on your trailer does not include loaded up with gear,clothes,food, BEER! So, this would increase your pinweight. Airbags would be a great idea and the Airlift 5000 is great and fairly inexpensive, $250 for a basic setup. A couple of the sponsors for this forum sell that setup. My personal opinion is you will be fine, there are several guys here on TS towing way more weight than that. Also my inlaws have the same Tundra as you with the Airlift 5000 and their 5th is heavier than yours and they've never had a problem. There will be a some people who would disagree but you already bought the trailer so your looking for solutions not someone telling you your gonna cause the biggest accident planet earth has seen because your slightly overweight. Good luck and have fun with that camper.
    2010 DC 4.6L 4x4:
    275/60/20 goodyear wrangler sra, 20" limited wheels, tint, mpg button mod, $40 backup cam mod, oem foglight kit, oem bed mat, Truxedo Truxsport tonneau, oem sidestep, hypertech speedo calibrator, Powerstop Z17 evolution pads, custom oil filter wrench, Tekonsha Voyager, Mobil1 syn.......
    Removed: 305/65/18 bfg ta ko, 18" dick cepek dc-1, Readylift 2.4/1

2013 Toyota Rav4 Limited AWD

Liked
    5 times
    Images

The 5er hitch itself weighs an additional 200 lbs, so now you are at 1600 lbs in the bed. A 5er will have 15% weight on the pin. Adjusting the load to make that lighter is not advisable, although you could control it within the range of 15% to 20%. It sounds like you own both the truck and trailer. Please go weigh them so you know exactly what you're dealing with. I think this should be a manageable pairing.

Tom

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for your thoughts! I'll look into the airlift 5000's and cross my fingers on the pin weight!

Does anyone have any experience with higher pin weighs, issues??

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Air bags a must, keeps your truck and trailer level so your headlights don't shine in the trees. I pull some in the Rockies so I had a supercharger installed by the dealer. I think a sc is a must if towing in the mountains and is a big expense at more than $6k. For me it is worth it. Taking weight off the pin by adjusting the load is not a good idea, you will most likely feel like a bucking bronco going down the road if you take weight off the pin. (IMHO)
    2008 DC 5.7 LTD "Big Red", Leather w heated seats. LineX bed liner, Extend a bed, ARE hard bed cover, DIY underseat rear storage, (Nav mod, all nav functions all the time), Always on backup camera switch, Firestone Ride Rite air bags, Sway bar, Supercharged, Auburn LSD with stock 4.30 gears.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    8 times

So you guys think being like 500 lbs + over your GVWR does not matter, and if you get into an accident, nobody will notice or care?

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Had the Tundra and trailer weighed at Loves on a cat scale, just wanted to see what my actual total weight is. Wife 125# and 5# dog was not with me. Had 1/2 fill on water, 60# propane, food and clothes for a week on board ready to head for Galveston. Trailer pulls great, speed is always 55 -60 mph. ST tires limit us to 65 but 60 is where I am comfortable with this rig.

Tundra ratings from the door sticker is
    GAWFR 3900#
    GAWRR 4100#
    GVWR 6900#
    GVCW 1515#

At the scales
    Steering axle 3380#
    Drive axle 4120#
    Trailer axles 7060#
    Gross weight 14560#

Trailer alone scale weight 8640#
    Pin weight 1580# includes the hitch

Yep, overweight a bit in a couple of areas. E rated tires, air bags and a good break controller a must, wouldn't roll without them. Knowing all this to start with would I have bought the 5th wheel we have, yes and I did check weights before buying the trailer. We love our Tundra, would not part with it and plan on keeping it for a long time. It has only 40k miles on it, runs and pulls like a dream. (Please don't call the weight police) VBG
    2008 DC 5.7 LTD "Big Red", Leather w heated seats. LineX bed liner, Extend a bed, ARE hard bed cover, DIY underseat rear storage, (Nav mod, all nav functions all the time), Always on backup camera switch, Firestone Ride Rite air bags, Sway bar, Supercharged, Auburn LSD with stock 4.30 gears.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

That's a nice setup. Just be careful when loading cargo in the truck and you will be happy with this combo. Thanks for reporting the data back to the group.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    8 times

So once the wife and dog are in the truck, you'll be 730 lbs over your GVWR and you think that's not a problem at all?
    Watch out to never get into an accident, good luck!

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Rear axle on the tundra is made by Hino and rated by Hino at 5200# The truck title and registration both read 3/4 ton on my texas paperwork. Why does toyota underrate the axle, don't know. what else is underrated, don't know. All I know is it is a solid pull with plenty of power and handles very well. Will be heading for the Rockies this summer and will report back after that trip. We are looking forward to a good trip and an easy tow. Our trip to Galveston went well, we averaged 11.8 mpg @ 60 mph most of the trip.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Installed a backup camera on the 5th wheel & hardwired it to the kingpin area on the 5r. When I hookup to pull the 5r I unplug the camera on the tailgate and plug into the tundra harness. With the mod switch in the camera on all the time position it's like having a rear view mirror. anything right behind me can be seen on the factory nav unit. When backing into a space it's like having a second set of eyes back there, (wife & camera). Sooo nice

Veteran Member
    Liked
    8 times

Your truck may handle it fine, or it may "feel fine". That part is up to you to decide.
    But if you ever get into an accident, things may not look as good with an overloaded truck. If I was hit, and someone in my family was hurt by somebody pulling a 5th wheel with a half ton truck, I would make darn sure the numbers are being checked if it gets bad enough for a court hearing.
    I personally would not have a relaxed moment knowing that I am over the limit by that much while towing that trailer. And I am sure that Toyota has a reason for their rating. They won't cut into their own profits "just because".
    You choose to disregard the warnings - including those issued by the maker of your truck. I hope you never have to deal with the consequences.
    $6K for a supercharger to be able to pull this? Why not just buy a 3/4 or 1-ton that is made for that kind of load - and be safe and happy?
    Last edited by stevegillings; 04-19-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Liked
    18 times
    Images

Jocephc1 please run me over in your overloaded 5er so I don't have to read this whinny nanny stuff anymore.
    18dsf and PyroZuki like this.
    2010 DC 4.6L 4x4:
    275/60/20 goodyear wrangler sra, 20" limited wheels, tint, mpg button mod, $40 backup cam mod, oem foglight kit, oem bed mat, Truxedo Truxsport tonneau, oem sidestep, hypertech speedo calibrator, Powerstop Z17 evolution pads, custom oil filter wrench, Tekonsha Voyager, Mobil1 syn.......
    Removed: 305/65/18 bfg ta ko, 18" dick cepek dc-1, Readylift 2.4/1

2013 Toyota Rav4 Limited AWD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast