Towing with just the bumper??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Towing with just the bumper??

Lurking Member firebladetoronto's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Default Towing with just the bumper??

Has anyone towed anything just using that screw in thing for the ball that is located on the bumper. How well does it do and what is the maximum tow weight?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times
    Images

The bumper tow method places the hitch ball really high up there; so you will want to look into matching the trailer's hitch w/ this bumper's height.

I've seen trucks tow a couple of dirt bikes, one 4wheeler, or a jet ski trailer using the bumper fashion. THese powersports toys usually tip the scale at around 1000-1500 lbs w/ a tongue weight between 40-80 lbs.

ANd I've seen trucks bumper tow one of those open grated trailers you can rent for $25/day and stuffed w/ furniture and appliances for apartment moves.

Quote Originally Posted by firebladetoronto
    Has anyone towed anything just using that screw in thing for the ball that is located on the bumper. How well does it do and what is the maximum tow weight?

Thanks

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by firebladetoronto

Thanks
    From my past tows, not w/ my Tundra, I would not recommend it. I've damaged serval bumbers with weight well below the bumper max. Spend a few hundred bucks and get a hitch installed.

Lurking Member firebladetoronto's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

So what is the purpose of the bumper tow if it is not very strong?? Is it just for emergencies?

Liked
    0 times

Default light duty towing

The bumper tow is for light duty towing-hauling 500lbs of stuff in a utility trailer down to the dump-that sort of thing.I wouldn't use it to tow cross country,or to tow say,a loaded car trailer.It is just quick cheap way to do light duty hauling.Stay well under the limit,and no problem.Now,as is mentioned above,if you intend to do frequent,serious hauling,spend ~$150(if you self install)and get a hitch-Class 4.Charlie

Liked
    0 times

I looked into doing this for a brief stint early on. What I quickly realized is that with the bumper ball, you have nowhere to hook the two safety chains that essentially all trailers have. So buying a ball PLUS two hooks would probably cost more than the $80 my real class 3 hitch cost, on ebay.

Liked
    0 times

I've seen lots of broken bumpers with the ball ripped right out of it. Pieces of bumper still bolted to the ball.
    For myself I would never tow anything but the very lightest trailer and not very far and not often with a bumper.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)