Ok, some heads are going to explode...

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Ok, some heads are going to explode...

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Default Ok, some heads are going to explode...

First off, I am not advocating nor am I bragging...I am just telling you all my experience...

So after nearly five years of towing and 107,000 miles I found out I have been towing 12,000lbs via a bumper pull. Its part my fault and part MFG fault on my trailer for a sticker that had the wrong weight. Over the years we have been adding things here and there to our rig and I finally decided to weigh things and it came to just under 12,000lbs. I never thought anything of it since the trailer towed and braked so well and it felt lighter than my previous trailer that was 9k loaded.

Once I saw this I went out and bought a new 2012 Dodge 3500 and gave my Tundra to my wife to drive and we will use to tow our boat to the lake and I will tow trailer. So it worked out in the end, but I am eager to see how my new 1 ton stacks up against my Tundra. Over the nearly five years I have encountered insane wind conditions, idiots cutting me off and all sorts of random happenings that put my overloaded Tundra to the test in braking and so on... Never once did we come even close to any sort of accident. Also, never once did I see a Tundra broken down on the side of the freeway in that same five years. I know there aren't as many on the road compared to Chevy, Ford & Dodge, but I still never saw one on the side of the road... Here is another statement that will make many heads explode... We would make our regular weekend journey of about 500 miles cruising around 75-77mph. The speed limit here is 75 and each side is two lanes so its really difficult to crawl down the road at 60 or 65mph without causing all sorts of havoc with the flow of traffic.

Anyway, with upgraded front brakes, airbags, e-rated tires, the best WD I have ever used (Reese Dual Cam) and my excellent driving skills, the Tundra really shined. I am not advocating that anyone tow over the limits like I did but I just thought it was a testament to how well Toyota built these Tundras. The Tundra still feels tight and runs perfect. I know many of you are going to flat out thrash me for breaking the weight laws and nearly causing the world to end, but honestly you are probably safer driving next to me in my overloaded Tundra than you are 90% of the morons that are out on the roads today. Between kids who have no business with a license to women thinking they can text, do their make-up and drive all at once...to the plain old crappy drivers...I would rather take my chances against an overloaded setup with a skilled driver at the wheel than against all those yahoos.

Anyway, its been fun...and if you are debating if your Tundra can tow 6000#'s or whatever...ya, it can no problem. And one last thing...I think a lot of how well the trailer towed had to do with the trailer. Its 3000#'s heavier and 8ft longer than my last trailer but towed better and felt lighter in every way. Happy trails people - I am prepared to take the onslaught of your hate now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    721 times

Default Re: Ok, some heads are going to explode...

I have never towed or hauled beyond the weight limits of my trucks [/sarcasm]

I don't know what the tow rating of your truck is, but there certainly is a cushion factor there. Agreed, driving skills, well maintained equipment, and good setup is key. Not going to slam you bro
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

cmb
    Liked
    22 times
    Images

You went out and bought a truck better suited for the task at hand. It's not a Toyota and this is a Toyota forum.If you want to be called names and "flamed", you'll have to get on ANY of the F-150 Forums,tell 'em about your Tundra and in the very next post, you'll get your wish!

Liked
    8 times

Why buy a new one, when the other was doing just fine?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Kong View Post
    Why buy a new one, when the other was doing just fine?
    Thats a valid question for sure. =) Well, my wife had this Scion tC and I wanted her in a truck and why not get her in a great truck (Tundra) and also get me a new truck that can take on any new trailers we decide to buy...which I suspect will be soon.

We just got back from a trip towing with the new Dodge and I have to be honest, it tows much better. With my toy hauler (and I hate throwing this term around since its so lame to say...but) it hardly feels like the trailer is even there. I'm still leery of reliability compared to the Tundra, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

And to the other member who responded saying the Ford F150 forums will flame you...thats no joke. I have no idea why people like to hate on Tundra owners that praise thier vehicles. Anyway, since my wife still has my Tundra I will still be part of the Toyota family, but its retired from the heavy towing chores for now. =)

Liked
    4 times

Most important safety component occupies that space just ahead of the drivers head rest seems you got that option!

Slickly done. You get to keep the tundra AND get the longer range on what I presume is a diesel one ton! I'm in a similar predicament. Have a Seq towing a 35'er over the rockies & sundry and very happy just want longer range! So trying to talk better 1/2 into that similar scenario.

How is the ram? That's exactly the TV I was looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by BustaCapGains View Post
    Thats a valid question for sure. =) Well, my wife had this Scion tC and I wanted her in a truck and why not get her in a great truck (Tundra) and also get me a new truck that can take on any new trailers we decide to buy...which I suspect will be soon.

We just got back from a trip towing with the new Dodge and I have to be honest, it tows much better. With my toy hauler (and I hate throwing this term around since its so lame to say...but) it hardly feels like the trailer is even there. I'm still leery of reliability compared to the Tundra, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

And to the other member who responded saying the Ford F150 forums will flame you...thats no joke. I have no idea why people like to hate on Tundra owners that praise thier vehicles. Anyway, since my wife still has my Tundra I will still be part of the Toyota family, but its retired from the heavy towing chores for now. =)

'08 Seq Plat 4x4
    Thule 450 Crossroad, 2 x Side Arms, 2 x Velo Vise, 916 T2, Evolution 1800
    Awaiting a T2 add on
    "Yeah, that's a 35' travel trailer back there"
    Every Passenger needs a bike & skis!

Liked
    8 times

I'm not going to lie when I say I am not envious of the extra tow capacity. We looked at a Ram 3500 about 4 months before I bought the Tundra. If the Toyota dealer did not offer what they offered for my 1500 Ram, I would have bought the 5.7 3500.

I am glad it worked out for you, and its probably safer, and will cause less wear and tear later on.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkeldorf View Post
    Most important safety component occupies that space just ahead of the drivers head rest seems you got that option!

Slickly done. You get to keep the tundra AND get the longer range on what I presume is a diesel one ton! I'm in a similar predicament. Have a Seq towing a 35'er over the rockies & sundry and very happy just want longer range! So trying to talk better 1/2 into that similar scenario.

How is the ram? That's exactly the TV I was looking at.
    The Ram is great so far. I am learning as I go since this is my first diesel. It drives great, tows incredible and has a ridiculous 4700#'s of payload capacity. The MPG is just ok...I mean its better than the Tundra but only if your towing a lot or doing highway driving. Around town trips to the store and so on just aren't good for it. It gets crap mileage when you do that and it loads up the exhaust filter for the regeneration system (thanks EPA).

The new 2013 Ram 3500 has more power and torque and can tow 30,000#'s apparently. I didn't believe it until I just read the press release the other day...thats just insane. It seems to me that Dodge is doing a good job of listening to the customer on design and capacities and making a move. Ford is dealing with its engine issues and Chevy is great...but everyone has one so I wanted something different. And I am happy so far! But I'm not selling the Tundra.

Liked
    4 times

Good to know about mileage. The 3500 is a lot of value, 30,000LBS(!), the whole Cummins six makes so much sense. If you're going to have a tractor, you may as well have a tractor! And congrats to us for talking about another truck in a mature way!

Quote Originally Posted by BustaCapGains View Post
    The Ram is great so far. I am learning as I go since this is my first diesel. It drives great, tows incredible and has a ridiculous 4700#'s of payload capacity. The MPG is just ok...I mean its better than the Tundra but only if your towing a lot or doing highway driving. Around town trips to the store and so on just aren't good for it. It gets crap mileage when you do that and it loads up the exhaust filter for the regeneration system (thanks EPA).

The new 2013 Ram 3500 has more power and torque and can tow 30,000#'s apparently. I didn't believe it until I just read the press release the other day...thats just insane. It seems to me that Dodge is doing a good job of listening to the customer on design and capacities and making a move. Ford is dealing with its engine issues and Chevy is great...but everyone has one so I wanted something different. And I am happy so far! But I'm not selling the Tundra.

'08 Seq Plat 4x4
    Thule 450 Crossroad, 2 x Side Arms, 2 x Velo Vise, 916 T2, Evolution 1800
    Awaiting a T2 add on
    "Yeah, that's a 35' travel trailer back there"
    Every Passenger needs a bike & skis!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkeldorf View Post
    Good to know about mileage. The 3500 is a lot of value, 30,000LBS(!), the whole Cummins six makes so much sense. If you're going to have a tractor, you may as well have a tractor! And congrats to us for talking about another truck in a mature way!
    Haha, yes...congrats to us for sure for having a level headed conversation about other trucks. I can assure you, the Tundra forums are about the only place that will happen.