Toyota Tundra Forums banner

2007 Camry XLE - does not play WMA

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  schmidtj 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have purchased music online which are WMA format. I burnt them onto a CD-R and put it in the Car to play it. But the cd player does not play and comes up saying " no music". I dont know why this happening since it is capable of playing WMA. It is able to play MP3 discs without any issues.

Help pls.

#2 ·
There's a good chance the WMA music you purchased are DRM (digital rights management) enabled WMA files. As such, the Camry would not have played protected music files. It could also be that they were not encoded in a bit-rate compatible with the Camry's head-unit (less likely, since it seems to handle most bit-rates pretty well). More details about the files, where they were purchased, bit-rate etc could help in finding out what the problem is.

Here’s a good test you can conduct:
  • Take a standard off-the-shelf music CD.
  • Set Windows Media Player to rip tracks into WMA files.
  • Be sure to uncheck "Copy protect music."
  • Select your desired audio quality.
  • Rip a few tracks from the CD.
  • Burn those newly created WMA files to the root folder of a CD-R.
  • Test that CD w/ the Camry's head-unit.
If they play, you know that your head-unit is decoding WMA files, and the problem must lie elsewhere, perhaps with the directory structure of the other CD you burned, or with DRM protected WMA files. Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks a lot for a very good advice. I will try to do that and yes I think they are protected because when I see the properties of those files under the "licanse" tab it shows as "protected content" for all the tracks that I purchased.

So does that really imply they are protected or I am seeing diff thing?

#4 ·
Thanks a lot for a very good advice. I will try to do that and yes I think they are protected because when I see the properties of those files under the "licanse" tab it shows as "protected content" for all the tracks that I purchased.

So does that really imply they are protected or I am seeing diff thing?
You're quite welcome. Sounds like you're reading it correctly to me. DRM can be a serious PITA for those of who want to play our music across multiple platforms. I've found the best solution is to buy the CD, and then rip it into MP3s. From there, it can be hosted on a DLNA compatible device, copied to CDs, MP3 players etc.

#6 ·
Be sure each music file has the suffix (.wma) attached to the file name. I burned a mp3 CD and I went in and removed all the .mp3 suffixes from the files because I didin't want to see the suffix on the display and thought it would still be able to read them.

But, on insertion of the mp3 CD, I got the message that there was no music. When I went and added the .mp3 suffix again to each music file, it played with no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.