Who Do You Think has the Best Electric Trailer Brake Controller?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who Do You Think has the Best Electric Trailer Brake Controller?

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default Who Do You Think has the Best Electric Trailer Brake Controller?

Hello All, We just purchased a pop-up camper trailer w/electric brakes. We need a brake controller and would appreciate any opinions on your experiences. I have seen a Tekonsha "Prodigy" model and it was highly regarded by the folks at the RV dealership. Thanks in adavnce for your help - All the Best, Sam

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Who Do You Think has the Best Electric Trailer Brake Controller?

I am a service manager at a RV repair facility in So. Cal. In my opinion you
    can't go wrong with Tekosha brake controlers.I have the Prdigy in my DC.
    For ease of use and features you will be very pleased.

Liked
    0 times

Default You won't go wrong with Tekonsha Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by spm1us
    Hello All, We just purchased a pop-up camper trailer w/electric brakes. We need a brake controller and would appreciate any opinions on your experiences. I have seen a Tekonsha "Prodigy" model and it was highly regarded by the folks at the RV dealership. Thanks in adavnce for your help - All the Best, Sam
    Do a search here on "Prodigy" and you will get a lot of positive responses...and probably no negative ones. Personally speaking, I've had a Prodigy controller since 2002 and am still quite happy with it.

That being said, there are other equally good...maybe even better...controllers on the market:

For instance, the Jordan Ultima is equally well regarded...though hookup is a bit more complicated as it requres a mechanical cable be attached to the brake pedal linkage. Pricing on the Jordan is usually comparable to the Prodigy.

Another higly regarded controller is the MasterBrake "BrakeSmart" which uses a pressure sensor attached to a brake line. This unit truly does provide proportional braking but is a lot more expensive (typically around $250) and requires tapping into a line coming out of the master cylinder. Not for the faint of heart or the person seeking lower cost simplicity.

There are some rebadged Prodigy products...and some Prodigy clones that use similar solid state accelerometer technologies. You won't go wrong with these.

But in any case do avoid any and all low cost "time-delay" controllers...these are so bad they really should be banned from sale on a safety basis.
    Ray

Natural White '03 Access Cab V8 SR5 4X4 with TRD Off Road Suspension, Limited Slip Differential, and Towing Package

Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Hellwig Anti-Roll bar, Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller, Autometer Z-Series Transmission Temperature Gauge, Magnefine Transmission Filter
    Utility & Misc Mods: Genuine Toyota OEM Step (Nerf) bars, Peragon Tonneau Cover, TracRac Rack and Rail System, Muth Signal Mirrors, Pop&Lock tailgate lock, TruSpeed speedometer calibrator, "$20" RS-3200 Upgrade, Auto-Dimming mirror w/ Temp and Compass, Clear/Red/Clear Taillights with Silverstar Signal bulbs, 3M Clear Bra

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Jordan has my vote. Just requires a tether to the brake peddle; an easy install for anyone with basic skills. The best controller I have ever used.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

I have the Prodigy and love it. I've also read good things about the Jordan; both have a loyal following.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.