Tundra Help

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tundra Help

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Tundra Help

I have a 2001 Tundra w/extended cab, V/8. I am interested in a “Coachman Spirit of america 24RBQ ” TT. It weighs in at 4500# dry (according to factory specs.) with all factory options. My wife and I will put in all the normal stuff for traveling. I am wondering if my Tundra will safely pull this amount of weight with a WD hitch and etc. zztinker

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    4 times

Default Re: Tundra Help

There are a lot of good threads on this.

Not sure what you mean by "safely"....you might mean what load is safe for the truck (so you don't break anything) or what load is safe for you and the traveling public.

On the '02 Tundra, never tow in OD and make sure your trans is serviced regularly.

On the weight, don't shoot for 100% of max. Aim for 80% - 90%.
    See this thread on how to figure out max combined gross weight
    Towing 7600 GVWR!!!@@??

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Default Re: Tundra Help

Dry weights are nearly useless, but not completely useless. The GVWR for that trailer is just over 6,000 lbs. I would guess that when you pull it off the lot, the trailer will weigh around 4,800- 5,000 lbs with a hitch weight of 750 lbs. If you have a stock 2002 with a tow package, that should tow nicely. Add your stuff and you will be towing around 5,500 lbs without water. That should work. Also be careful not to load the truck down as the Tundra's limiting factor when towing is often its own GVWR, not the GCWR.

So, tow away. Just make sure the brakes and WDH are set up properly.

Tom

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.