2007 Tundra Towing - Page 4

  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

    Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!
     
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 65

Thread: 2007 Tundra Towing

  1. #46
    Lurking Member mejones53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Coral Springs
    Age
    60
    Posts
    41
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Thanks for taking the time to crunch the numbers. I imagine a good WDH and a visit to the scales will keep things within limits.
    Mario
    07 Tundra 5.7 4x4 Dbl Cab LB
    08 Highlander Sport AWD

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #47
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    5
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    True or False??

    The dealer said the 800 pound tounge weight of my trailer does NOT get included into the max payload of the truck. I am pretty sure this is false but I would like to make sure my numbers are correct.

    400lbs Wife and I
    100lbs Dogs
    156lbs Fuel
    800lbs tounge wt.
    200lbs cab high fiberglass camper
    0 Camping gear
    1656lbs TOTAL
    -1690 max Payload off website
    34lbs left for camping gear???????

  4. #48
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,130
    Liked
    4 times
    Images
    25
    Rep Power
    3481
    Thread Starter

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    The hitch weight absolutely does count against the cargo carrying capacity (CCC). The truck's GVWR is the most it can weigh, total, and that includes hitch weight. No way around it. Since CCC is calculated from the formula:

    GVWR - curb weight = CCC

    Anything you add to the truck counts.

    The fuel might be included (at least some of it) in the calculations that went into determining your cargo carrying capacity (CCC).

    That being said, you are using the CCC listed on a website which will be low by 150-200 lbs already. So, based on your math, you are at your GVWR. Welcome to the wonderful world of 1/2 ton cargo capacity with 1 ton tow ratings.

    Can't think of anything that might help. I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking about filling my gray water tank to get some hitch weight off the truck. Driving 2,000 miles next week on a trip to SC so I'll probably visit the scales on the way out to see where I stand.

    Tom

  5. #49
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Quakertown, PA
    Posts
    5
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Hello. I am new here, and do not own a Tundra yet. The TT I want to buy has a GVWM of 10,000#. I will be living in it full time, along with 3 cats and 7 birds. I'm thinking that a small, light weight motor scootor would be a good thing to carry along.

    The Tundra I spoke with the saleman about is a regular cab, long bed 4x4 wityh the 5.7 engine. Having read thru this thread twice now, I am still confused about whether this truck is enough for my needs or not. I need to admit that the mathmatics of it confuse me, because some writers here seem to be saying they don't mean that much. I have never needed to think along these line until now, despite having towed trailers over the years; I never wanted to understand it all before -- I just took the salesman's word for it. But now a lot more money is involved, and I an less naive and trusting.

    The other big question comes from an older thread in this forum. Is a Hensley Arrow hitch still vitaloly important, of will the Reeses Equilizer with the stabilizer bars do just as well with the new and improved specs of the 2007 Tundra?

    Please be as specific in your explanations as is reasonable. I am not a dumb female, but a lot of the physics of this are quite new to me. I will be alone, and need to be sure that things will go smoothly, at least most of the time. Thanks.

    Holly

  6. #50
    Supercharged Member Only Toyota for me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Posts
    2,224
    Liked
    0 times
    Images
    50
    Rep Power
    1265

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Quote Originally Posted by HollySue View Post
    Hello. I am new here, and do not own a Tundra yet. The TT I want to buy has a GVWM of 10,000#. I will be living in it full time, along with 3 cats and 7 birds. I'm thinking that a small, light weight motor scootor would be a good thing to carry along.

    The Tundra I spoke with the saleman about is a regular cab, long bed 4x4 wityh the 5.7 engine. Having read thru this thread twice now, I am still confused about whether this truck is enough for my needs or not. I need to admit that the mathmatics of it confuse me, because some writers here seem to be saying they don't mean that much. I have never needed to think along these line until now, despite having towed trailers over the years; I never wanted to understand it all before -- I just took the salesman's word for it. But now a lot more money is involved, and I an less naive and trusting.

    The other big question comes from an older thread in this forum. Is a Hensley Arrow hitch still vitaloly important, of will the Reeses Equilizer with the stabilizer bars do just as well with the new and improved specs of the 2007 Tundra?

    Please be as specific in your explanations as is reasonable. I am not a dumb female, but a lot of the physics of this are quite new to me. I will be alone, and need to be sure that things will go smoothly, at least most of the time. Thanks.

    Holly
    I beleive the tundra you are looking at (Reg.Cab Longbed w/ 5.7) has a GCWR of 16,000 lbs. Which means the total maximum weight of truck loaded & trailer loaded.
    The tow rating on that truck is about 10,700 i beleive. Which means if your truck weighs 5000 lbs, you can have a trailer weight (total loaded) of 11000 lbs. As long as there is not more than 2000 lbs of that on the truck.
    Pm one of the moderator's here & they can help you better.
    But If you're under those ratings, then you will be just fine with the tundra.

    Oh, the Hinsley Arrow hitch you are mentioning is THE best one you can get. However, the Equilizer brand is about as good

  7. #51
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Quakertown, PA
    Posts
    5
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Thanks a lot, Only Toyota. The trailer service store guy pointed out that with the Hensley, pretty much nobody besides me would be able to move my trailer w/o my truck, which could be problematic in case of a major issue with either truck or trailer when on the road. And 3K is really pricey, but if it made a huge difference, I'd seriously consider it.

    I've never owned a Toyota, but have had 3 brand new Subarus and currently own one I bought slightly used. Their truck is cute, but certainly not designed to do hard work. I was glad to see that the Tundra 4x4 has it as an on-demand system, like the older Subarus used to do.

    Holly

  8. #52
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,130
    Liked
    4 times
    Images
    25
    Rep Power
    3481
    Thread Starter

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Ok, looked up the specs on the truck and trailer.

    2007 Tundra 5.7L Regular Cab Long Bed 4x4

    Curb Weight: 5275 lbs
    GVWR: 7200 lbs
    Cargo Capacity: 2000 lbs
    GCWR: 16,000 lbs
    Max Tow: 10,500 lbs

    Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 30T2801

    Dry weight: 7338 lbs
    Dry hitch weight: 875 lbs
    GVWR: 9980 lbs
    Overall length: 28' 11"

    I don't see anything there that makes me worried. The limit you'll be closest to exceeding right away is the max tow / GCWR (total the truck and trailer can weigh). If you load the trailer to its max capacity of 9980 lbs (which is likely since you will be living in it), you'll have very little extra capacity to carry anything in the truck. But as a full timer, that might work out ok.

    My recommendation is that this combo should work as long as you minimize the amount you plan to carry in the truck to almost nothing. A very light scooter and a bit o' luggage (along with yourself) should be appropriate. If you plan to load up the bed while towing, that trailer will be too much for that truck. When you tow, keep those big water/waste tanks empty as they could add a LOT of weight.

    With respect to the Hensley, I don't think that is required for this length trailer and that long of a truck. Get an Equal-i-zer brand weight distributing hitch or a Reese dual cam system. The Equal-i-zer is probably easier to use, but I haven't owned one. I do own the Dual Cam system and it works great.

    No idea how the drivetrain will perform, but based on it's specs, it should be a sweet tow. THat 5.7L mated to the 6 speed tranny running through a 4.30 rear end should provide plenty of motivation for that setup.

    If this is your first trailer and towing experience, recommend you ask a lot of questions of experience folks. These fora are a good source and so is RV.net

    Keep the questions coming.

    Tom

  9. #53
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Quakertown, PA
    Posts
    5
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Thanks so much Tom, for such a specific set of answers. That was just what I was hoping to receive. It's good that the lengths of the truck and the trailer combined indicate that the Hensley is not necessary. A few decades ago I used a Reese equalizer hitch to haul an old Fan trailer that had an oak interior, so it was heavier than the usual TT in those days. But I am sure that it didn't weigh anywhere near as much as the large Bigfoot. Initially I hauled it behind my use Ford F-250 with a slide-in with a 2-&-1/2 foot overhang. After that I hauled it with a Chevy Step-Van, which was a fun way to travel. My old leather good's shop was in the truck, along with minimal living stuff.

    I have also put some miles on a huge motor-home that did an almost as good a job of living up to the negative Ford acronyms as my old F-250 did. Currently I have a tiny molded fiberglass Burro that was made by U-Haul during the two years they held the license. It adorable, barely big enough to turn around in, and as rustic as camping in a two-man pup-tent. I think I'm really looking forward to living as a tortoise, or snail, again. My deceased husband always drove the teeny Toyota motor home we had for a year or so, and I also never drove the old Ford school bus that I live on with 3 other folks in the very early 70s.

    What I am planning at this point is a 125 cc scooter that is suppose to get 100 miles per gallon. The salesman says it is very light weight. Due to a health situation, I gave up my motor cycle several years ago. I do not have the strength, stamina, or balance for something with a high center of gravity and a lot of weight. I figure on putting one of those 20-something inch metal porches with a ramp on the rear of the Bigfoot. I am hoping that a lightweight truck cap on the Tundra will eliminate the wind resistance to help the gas mileage, and store things like extra CDs, DVDs, seasonal clothing, and kitchen accessories that won't fit in the cabinets of the trailer. This stuff would be in plastic milk crate style boxes. I'd keep everything as lightweight as possible. Traveling w/o water in the tanks is what I have in mind, although I would take minimal water when going to a music festival where I can't get any. If any of this sounds problematic, please anyone feel free to let me know.

    Major mileage with the rig will likely be only 10,000 to 15,000 per year initially, and less after the first few years. But that is a guess at this point.

    Holly

  10. #54
    Lurking Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AX
    Posts
    44
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Just remember that the FAWR for a crew max or double cab is 3900-4000 lbs.

    The rear (RAWR) axle rating for the above is 4000-4100 lbs, depending on model.

    So, the ACTUAL GVWR is in the neigborhood of 8000 lbs.

    Toyota underrates their vehicle's GWVR by 1000 lbs !!!!

    You have plenty of reserve capacity back there. I would not worry about it.

  11. #55
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,130
    Liked
    4 times
    Images
    25
    Rep Power
    3481
    Thread Starter

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Quote Originally Posted by powerdude View Post
    Just remember that the FAWR for a crew max or double cab is 3900-4000 lbs.

    The rear (RAWR) axle rating for the above is 4000-4100 lbs, depending on model.

    So, the ACTUAL GVWR is in the neigborhood of 8000 lbs.

    Toyota underrates their vehicle's GWVR by 1000 lbs !!!!

    You have plenty of reserve capacity back there. I would not worry about it.
    GVWR is never the sum total of the axle ratings for any vehicle. The GVWR can be limited by many components that would not necessarily limit the axle ratings: brakes, frame strength or others.

    Although it is tempting to use the higher number (sum of axle ratings), it could be very unsafe. A lot of 3/4 and 1 ton owners use that logic when towing their 5er's because of the high pin weights that 5ers have. Based on GVWR, most 3/4 ton trucks have a max capability of about 1700 lbs of pin weight. That's a medium sized 5er. In order to justify a larger 5er (and thus higher pin weight), they use the RAWR as the limiting factor. This allows them to go as high as 3,000 lbs pin weight which is a much larger 5er. Of course, it also puts them over their GVWR by more than 1,000 lbs. They write that off by saying the weight rating are recommendations not limitations since there is no law that requires non-commercial drivers to remain within the manufacturer's recommended limts. All true, but unsafe.

    Anyway, just wanted to provide some clarification.

    Tom

  12. #56
    Junior Member toodeep2dive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Citrus county
    Posts
    102
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Quote Originally Posted by tomhole View Post
    GVWR is never the sum total of the axle ratings for any vehicle. The GVWR can be limited by many components that would not necessarily limit the axle ratings: brakes, frame strength or others.

    Although it is tempting to use the higher number (sum of axle ratings), it could be very unsafe. A lot of 3/4 and 1 ton owners use that logic when towing their 5er's because of the high pin weights that 5ers have. Based on GVWR, most 3/4 ton trucks have a max capability of about 1700 lbs of pin weight. That's a medium sized 5er. In order to justify a larger 5er (and thus higher pin weight), they use the RAWR as the limiting factor. This allows them to go as high as 3,000 lbs pin weight which is a much larger 5er. Of course, it also puts them over their GVWR by more than 1,000 lbs. They write that off by saying the weight rating are recommendations not limitations since there is no law that requires non-commercial drivers to remain within the manufacturer's recommended limts. All true, but unsafe.

    Anyway, just wanted to provide some clarification.

    Tom
    How can you say it is unsafe?
    The manufacture rating is going to CIA but to say it is unsafe is a bit of an assumption.

    GVWR could be limited by the manufacture to help keep power train warranty issues in check.

  13. #57
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,130
    Liked
    4 times
    Images
    25
    Rep Power
    3481
    Thread Starter

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Agreed. I have no clue what goes into determining GVWR. I assume someone smarter than me decided that the consumer of their product should not exceed that weight rating, for whatever reason. I do think it is capricious to dismiss the ratings as arbitrary or advisory in nature, but I don't know exactly why.

    I tow at every limit the Tundra has except FAWR. To tow anymore would be unsafe. IMHO.

    Tom

  14. #58
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    YOUR BEDROOM
    Posts
    74
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    I personally towed a buddies 13,000 lbs boat last year with a F150.
    Way over the trucks capacity but it still was able to do it. I do not suggest anyone else to do this. The scary part was the swaying at 55 mph. My point is all these numbers are more related to safety than damage to the vehicle.
    His F150 still runs fine. I'm sure if your careful the tundra can tow 10,000 lbs.
    I'm banking on it!!!!

  15. #59
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    central NC
    Posts
    13
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs up Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Quote Originally Posted by TUNDRA1000 View Post
    I personally towed a buddies 13,000 lbs boat last year with a F150.
    Way over the trucks capacity but it still was able to do it. I do not suggest anyone else to do this. The scary part was the swaying at 55 mph. My point is all these numbers are more related to safety than damage to the vehicle.
    His F150 still runs fine. I'm sure if your careful the tundra can tow 10,000 lbs.
    I'm banking on it!!!!
    That is exactly right. The Ratings are here for a guide to show how to tow safely and for over analysis (as we can see from every towing board I have been on). Don't buy a trailer or load a trailer more than 85% of your tow capacity if you plan on loading up the truck with gear in the bed. That is my rule of thumb.

    Let the debate begin...BTW just bought a new 2007 Tundra CrewMax 4X4 5.7. It is AWESOME. I have a 30 foot travel Trailer that is 7500 lbs that used to be pulled by a Nissan Armadra. The Trundra pulls it 10 times better and is extremely smooth.....

  16. #60
    Junior Member zzrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    91
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: 2007 Tundra Towing

    Payload is the GVWR minus curb weight and includes weight of occupants, optional equipment and cargo, limited by weight distribution. Payload is not the Vehicle Capacity Weight as defined by FMVSS 110, which will vary according to installed optional equipment.

    This is off the toyota site
    this to me make it sound right

    But hey the only thing I tow around was my wife and two kids to the dealer to look at my new truck
    In my shop
    2002 Faster Silver Kawasaki ZZR 1200
    1984 Kawasaki GPZ 750 turbo
    2007 Faster Black Tundra 4.7TRD DC
    2007 Seina CE Mommy mobile:cry:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 05:02 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 02:30 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 02:35 PM
  4. Tundra Towing Experiences
    By rcdave in forum Towing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 11:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •